What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jets Vs Sharks Saturday 15/7

bucks1972

Juniors
I still cant beleive that we got out of that one!!
A fantastic result from a very poor first 65 minutes. For mine, that entire game changed when the blue was put on! Johnny Doyle had a phenominal game and started the fight!

What more can you ask for, a Jets win (in both grades too!), a fight and a few cold KBs! It just doesnt get any better than that!!

ledzep

Bench
great win
can someone help me with the bench?
there was tonga, nuuasala, michael burns? and who else?

bucks1972

Juniors
The fourth player on the bench was Darren Lang. He has been up for the past few weeks from the Jim Beam Cup side.

2 True Blues

Coach
Awesome performance. For the benefit of Greg in queensland and the many other Jets fans who are to far away to make that many games here is REAL quick run down.

Cronulla scored in the first half but missed the kick. Jets came very close to matching the scores when a break away run over 50 metres almost scored in the corner however Cronulla chaser made an awesome tackle and took us over the side line about 1 metre short. Support player was inside however the pass was not made. Top run though, and it got the crowd attention.

First half score Cronulla 4
Jets NIL.

In the second half Cronulla scored two more tries that went unconverted.

With about 15 minutes to go Sharks were leading 12 NIL.

There was a large all in blew, however the game as a whole was very tough, and you could sense the passion and aggression from the side line from both teams. Lots of pushing and almost blewing, grabbing hold of jerseys standing face to face without throwing a punch right from the start of the first half. Until the big blew broke out. Cronulla player was put on report as a result of the blew !!

Then Jets scored and Jamie SOWARD with Cronulla fans booing, heckling, and honking car horns trying to distract him kicked a jem from the side line in the wet and windy conditions to make it Sharks 12 Jets 6.

With the clock ticking down Jets did the impossible and scored again. Jamie SOWARD with an equally difficult kick from the side line pulled it off again to the crowds cheers as it went through the sticks. The borking calls and car horns from the side line failing to have an effect on his accurancy.

12 all with only minutes left of play. A real arm wrestle with players covered in that much mud is was hard to see their numbers.

Jets miss the field goal, still 12 all.

Jets defend really well and Cronulla have to make the attempt at field goal from a longer way out. Misses.

Jets attack and miss the goal attempt again.

With about 50 seconds left and the small crowd's voice making up for their lack of numbers Jets score again. As Jamie sets up for the kick the siren goes and there is an all mighty roar.

Jamie misses the conversion however it dont matter at all.

Jets win the game 16 to 12. And it's the best darn game of the season thus far.

Worth the entry fee times 20.

Was good to see Roosters coach Ricky STEWART and CEO and other first grade players and identities from the Roosters in the crowd that came to watch. Also other Roosters jerseys in the crowd yelling their support.

2SM was also on hand, as they were calling their radio show LIVE to air from Henson.

The crowd was not the best of the season due to the weather, however the diehards that were on hand were very LOUD and gave the Jets a standing ovation as they left the field.

Think Cronulla MAPP was awarded with the Graham WILSON medal for being the man of the match. Though TONGA also received an award. The WILSON medal is an initiative of the Newtown Jets to honour Graham WILSON who played for both The Jets and Cronulla. Representing Australia in 1963 and was also a regular NSW REP player in the early to mid 1960's. Think he played about 140 games in the Royal BLUE and only a few seasons at the Sharks. He however played the majority of his career with the Mighty Bluebags.

Sadly Graham passed away in December 2005 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

Jets won all three games. The Jetettes wiping the floor with the Redfern Allblacks 50 something to ( about 10 ). The Jim Beam Jets slaughtered the Entrance by 44 to ( I think it was 18 ). The BEAM side were exceptional and really showed how much talent they have in the side.

All this......and not a " latte " to be seen anywhere in the Park.....................

2 True Blues said:
Then Jets scored and Jamie SOWARD with Cronulla fans booing, heckling, and honking car horns trying to distract him kicked a jem from the side line in the wet and windy conditions to make it Sharks 12 Jets 6.

With the clock ticking down Jets did the impossible and scored again. Jamie SOWARD with an equally difficult kick from the side line pulled it off again to the crowds cheers as it went through the sticks. The borking calls and car horns from the side line failing to have an effect on his accurancy.

That was me tooting the car horn:D

2 True Blues

Coach
It was an awesome kick ( both of them were ) given the conditions, the borking, and the closeness and pressure of knowing what a miss might have meant.

Top effort Jamie. And the team played an awesome display of football as a whole.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Nail biting end for sure!....Lost my voice :D seen Stuart Raper floating around as well as Ricky S & Craig Fitzgibbon!.....quite a few faces on Saturday actually ;-)

greg

Juniors
Thanks for the game report 2TB, appreciated.After a shaky start this season is going along very well. Unfortunately won't get to a game this year. Was in Sydney for a 40th birthday at the start of the month the weekend the Jets had the bye. Hows that for poor timing!

2 True Blues

Coach
sh*t thats bad timing mate. Bluebags play against St George this year at Henson in the last game of the year. Thought you would be coming for that one mate. Dont you guys work 12 hour shifts up there as well. You should try and fly down for one of the semi finals games mate on your next set of rest days. Jets will be in the eight for sure again this year.

greg

Juniors
2TB, Unfortunately can't see me getting there this year. Looking forward to the end of year big one on TV though, looking like a replay of 1981 again. The eels are good once again but don't seem to have that air of invincibility this year.
We do 8 hour shifts on the coast with the extra day off every 28 days.

2 True Blues

Coach
Bugger mate. 8 hr shifts sucks. We have to work 19 X 12 hr shifts ( 228 Hrs )in a 6 week period. So in effect as long as you work 19 days in 42 anywhere in that 42 day period, the rest of the days are days off. That way you are working 6 X 38 hr weeks in the 6 week block.

Usually work 4 shifts in a row, then have 5 or 6 days off mate. Heaps better.

Anyway shame you can't make it mate, was looking forward to having a beer with you.

We beat the Eels at Henson last season, and for that matter we also beat the Roosters Prem/league side at Henson last season, and they were the two sides that both made the grand final. Is looking promising I suppose but there are plenty of other tough to beat sides in the top 8, and a lot will depend on which sides NRL teams also make the eight, as to whom will be playing against us in many of these clubs who will also be in the eight.

Fingers crossed anyway digger, and I will do my best to keep putting info on this site for you and the MANY Jets fans who are not able to make that many games.

Take care mate !!! And GO THE MIGHTY BLUEBAGS !!!!

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Sharkie Army Gorilla said:
That was me tooting the car horn:D

I swear, you can take the boy out of the Shire, but you can;t take the Shire out of the boy. It is freezing frigging cold & you lot were there in board shorts things and rip curl surfer hooded sweatshirts. I'm told the beaches in Marrickville are world renowned! :lol: ;-)

I loved it during the all-in brawl when some wag on the hill (and there were less than 100 of us there because of the crappy weather) yelled out "What the f**k is this?! You aren't all Cronulla beach you know!"

It fills you will you much heart that the Jets play with such passion at home. If ever they were going to go down at Henson it was last Saturday. But it is just amazing how you just had a 6th sense that the lads would come back, even if the Sharks were dominating for so long and had several sets of 6 on our line where they could have put the game out of reach once and for all.

I swear, this club and the spirit of not only the players on the field but the heart of those off it has brought me back to rugby league. Thank you Jetters! And with Sa Soward John Doyle & Charlie Tonga, you have players more than capable of holding down first grade spots at any club. (If Ricky doesn't like them or want them, well I'm not going to complain. It makes things better for the Jets!)

JF (proud Newtonian :cool: )

2 True Blues

Coach
Well said mate. Thats what it's all about. Though I grew up in the shire and all I was wearing at the game was the Royal Blue LMAO.......;-) :cool:

Hey if you are at the game today against the berries can you give us a match report please mate !! ?? !!..................