What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jharal Yow Yeh interview

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Does anyone on the "inside" have any more info on how Yow Yeh's recovery is coming along. The lack of recent media attention about it has been very eery, like that he might not ever play again...

Country Bronco

Juniors
I've heard nothing also GTB but interested like yourself. I've noted whilst watching Bronco Tv that in some of the mid week videos Yow Yeh has been involved in touch games at training and seen him running in such videos which is encouraging but I don't know whether he has any repercussions from such activity neither do I know if he's involved in contact drills or getting close to being introduced to contact. An injury update from a reliable source would be appreciated.
Does anyone on the "inside" have any more info on how Yow Yeh's recovery is coming along. The lack of recent media attention about it has been very eery, like that he might not ever play again...

Bretto

Bench
Gordon Tallis said on Triple M last night that Yow Yeh was playing a game today for a local A grade side in the second row. Anyone have any more info or know if its being telecast anywhere?

unbreaK

Juniors
Thaiday just announced on the Sunday Footy Show that Jharal is playing for the Norths reserve grade side because Norths has a bye this week, great news for the Broncos, hopefully he's back in a Broncos jersey sooner rather than later.

Tommy Smith

Referee
By the sounds of things i reckon a return to 1st grade even in late 2013 is unlikely. He's a super talented classic winger so hopefully he returns sooner rather than later. At his absolute best, too.

unbreaK

Juniors
By the sounds of things i reckon a return to 1st grade even in late 2013 is unlikely. He's a super talented classic winger so hopefully he returns sooner rather than later. At his absolute best, too.

You don't think he'll get match fitness / confidence from play Qcup within the next 17 weeks? Surely it won't take that many matches.. I was thinking more like maybe a month from now he could play first grade, maybe 2 at most.

ggmu

Juniors

How did u come to that? To me it sounds like he is able to run and they are now getting some confidence and match fitness into him.

Bretto

Bench
So is the game being televised or anything? Anyone at the game or been to the game? Really keen for some info...

Usain Bolt

Bench
Someone on twitter said he went off injured but then others were saying it was a planned substitution?

Chainshada

Juniors
From what I heard, he came off after 20mins or so for a breather, some f*ckwit journalist tweeted that he was injured, then someone else said it was a planned rest..he came back on in the 2nd half but wasn't really up for 2nd row, apparently got tackled hard and got himself into an awkward position tackling someone..

But no obvious signs of problems with his ankle. Good to hear that there were a lot of Broncos in attendance.

Wasn't there myself, just what I've pieced together from twitter/forums.

Big pic so just going to link.. Yow Yeh waiting to sub in.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BI6rXVjCQAEb75k.jpg:large

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
That's f**ken awesome. Thanks for the info man. It'll take him a while to get match fitness back after being out for 2 years!

Big Pete

Referee
Apparently Channel 7 are running a piece on him tonight in their news coverage.

I don't expect to see JYY back in first grade this year. From reports I've read, he played 30 minutes and struggled. First game back, but it's still a long road from here.

unbreaK

Juniors
He endured a few nervous moments, but Broncos star Jharal Yow Yeh says he is relieved just to be playing rugby league again after surviving his first game in 13 months today.

The former Maroons ace completed a 30-minute comeback with his junior club Norths Devils in the FOGS Cup - more than a year after suffering a shocking compound fracture of his right ankle against Souths in Perth.

During his ordeal, Yow Yeh underwent skin grafts and eight operations in 10 months to rectify an injury Brisbane orthopaedic surgeon Peter Myers rated the worst he had seen in football in 33 years.

So when Yow Yeh ran onto Bishop Park, the place where he first fell in love with rugby league, at 3.02pm today, his trepidation was palpable.

With Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin and almost the entire Broncos squad watching from the hill, Yow Yeh sent a scare around Bishop Park when he left the field after just 15 minutes.

Playing in the back row in jumper No.10, he reported soreness in his right ankle, but was cleared of serious injury and returned after half-time for another 15-minute stint to help the Devils to a 36-26 defeat of Ipswich.

The 23-year-old looked tentative at times, particularly when running at full tilt, but Yow Yeh's return was a triumph for a man who feared he would never play again.

"We were planning this for a little while but we wanted to keep it under wraps, I didn't want to jinx myself but I enjoyed it," he said.

"I was blowing, I've never played second row before so the first half was pretty hard for me, especially coming back to Norths, my old club.

"I did struggle a bit today but I'm just happy to be back."

During his time on the sidelines, NRL authorities banned the shoulder charge. But that didn't stop Yow Yeh attempting a brutal front-on shot late in the game, only to come off second best.

After staying down for a few minutes, Yow Yeh rose to his feet and soldiered on before receiving an early shower 15 minutes before full-time.

"I wasn't even seeing stars, I saw black and that was about it," he joked of his shoulder charge.

"My goal was to play one game to see where I was at and that's what I've done.

"From here I will take it step by step, talk to the coaches and see what the plan for rehab is with my ankle.

"Today was about seeing how my ankle pulled up. I'm happy to get this one out of the way."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jharal-yow-yeh-back-at-last/story-fndv2w3r-1226630970544

Big Pete

Referee
The footage of him on Ch. 7 wasn't promising. Took a run from dummy half and looked really uncomfortable trying to step as he came to the line.

Chainshada

Juniors
The footage of him on Ch. 7 wasn't promising. Took a run from dummy half and looked really uncomfortable trying to step as he came to the line.

I was thinking the exact opposite, the fact that he tried to put a shoulder charge on, and even attempted to step in his 1st game back was very promising.

Bretto

Bench
It was only one year, not two as I stated earlier.

We need to keep in mind that this guy SNAPPED HIS LEG IN HALF. It's going to take a long time till he comes right. Remember when Lockyer came back from his ACL he was nowhere near ready, and it took him a GOOD 18 months to get full mobility back, and that's a knee injury, not snapping your leg in half.

It's all positive signs so far. If he can get through another 2 months or so of games, stepping up time on the field each time, it will do his confidence the world of good. I honestly think they'd be looking to bring him back for next season at this stage.

He did look a bit portly if anything lol. Should burn that off pretty quick though.

Tone83

Juniors
Yeah I so want him to come good but I just struggle to see how he possibly could. If it was 100 years ago he'd be lucky to be alive. He's lucky to walk normally even now(if he does), being a great nrl winger like he was, I just can't imagine it. Even if he seemed to be ok I'd just be waiting for it to snap again, and oh the horror if it did.

unbreaK

Juniors
It's only a broken ankle guys, fair enough it was one of the worst ones ever seen, but people have come back from these sorts of injuries before and performed just as good, as long as he has the motivation and right mindset, I can see him still being a great winger for many years to come.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Yeah I so want him to come good but I just struggle to see how he possibly could. If it was 100 years ago he'd be lucky to be alive. He's lucky to walk normally even now(if he does), being a great nrl winger like he was, I just can't imagine it. Even if he seemed to be ok I'd just be waiting for it to snap again, and oh the horror if it did.
be lucky to be alive? haha