What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2007 season

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
chester said:
What is the situation with Bristow Kelly and any good forwards returned from the Eels ??
My starting front row would be Johnson and Johansen.
I understand points may be a problem. In my opinion Johnson was pretty close to man of the match, I also noticed on the Demons site David Peachey scored a try:eek: :?

Yeah points was an issue and with bristow and kelly coming of injuries there fitness was a little down and so they missed out, but kel is back in the starting lineup this week, and bristow was due to be back but may still be a few weeks away.
Yeah micheal johnson did play well and was one of the best out there on the night. He lost alot of weight in the off season and was at one stage down below 100kgs but he has put a little more on, but he always plays well above his weight.
The parra players sent back so far have all been flegg, while they are all good players its a big step from flegg to beam especially for forwards, they just dont have the physical size or strength. Josh davis(centre) would have been handy but he only played one trial now he is playing in the eels flegg side.
Its also hard to select them when they train the same nights as us so they can really only turn on gameday.

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
The Wrong Eye said:
One Eyed Demon how did your reserve grade team go against St Marys in the trial last week.
How did St Marys look ??

I didn't go to the game, but Stmary's towelled em up, beat them 8 tries to 4 i think.
Apparantly the demons team played pretty ordinary.
I know the stmarys team has some ex JBC and premier league players so they should be pretty good this year

jets fan

Juniors
Spike said:
I might be thinking of Grech but I thought Jolly was headed to Cabramatta with Tippett?

Yeah Cabra will be strong and Wenty always manage to put a competitive side together.

This is my prediction of how they'll finish

1 Shellharbour
2 Cabramatta
3 Wenty
4 Mounties
5 Sydney
6 The Entrance
7 Erina
8 Asquith
9 Belrose
10 7 Hills
11 Chester Hill
12 Windsor

want to make any changes to that table after the first two rounds ?

Nfed

Juniors
Tonight
Bulls vs Mounties at Crest Stadium
Chester Hill vs Wenty at Terry Lamb complex
Belrose vs Asquith at Lionel Watts reserve
Shellharbour vs Windsor at Ron Costello oval

Friday
Erina vs The Entrance at Erina

Saturday night
Demons vs Cabra at Fairfax Stadium

Nfed

Juniors
Sydney Bulls 36 (K Deeb 2, S Jolly, D Barakat, D Vicelich, C Smith tries, S El Masri 6 goals) beat Mounties 28 ( C Herekotukutuku, J Burns, J Coveney, D Russell, A Bennett tries, D Russel 4 goals) at Crest Stadium tonight.

Mounties led 6-0 when Coveney busted the defence in the first set and fed the ball to Charlie H who did the rest. The Bulls then proceeded to dominate the rest of the first half to lead 22-6 at the break.

The Bulls started the second half in the same fashion as the first by dropping the ball and conceding a try and when Coveney got above Gilmore to collect a bomb and score the Mounties had got back to 22-16. After an El Masri penalty goal gave the Bulls some relief Mounties added another two touchdowns to regain the lead 28-24 with 10 to go.

The Bulls then woke from their slumber and after several powerful hit ups by Vicelich, Smith and Koroi, Deeb carried 3 defenders over the line and El masri goaled from the sideline. The Bulls repeated the process and Deeb again went over with several defenders clinging on and again El Masri added the extras from the sideline.

The Bulls played well for 50 minutes and Mounties looked very dangerous in the balance of the game.

Nfed

Juniors
The Entrance will be strenghened this week by the incclusion of Gavin Westwood and Steve Ekepati, who played last week in the Central coast comp.

Asquith have improved their roster by adding former Wests and Ourimbah utility Bart Masters plus the return of Desai Gupwell from Cronulla.

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
Heard wenty gave chester hill a big welcome to JB cup last night, hope cabra aint got the same plans tomorrow night, cause they gotta be due soon:?

Belrose beat asquith in a close one too

any news on shellharbour v windsor?

chester

Juniors
one_eyed_demon said:
Heard wenty gave chester hill a big welcome to JB cup last night, hope cabra aint got the same plans tomorrow night, cause they gotta be due soon:?

Belrose beat asquith in a close one too

any news on shellharbour v windsor?

Windsor 54 Shellharbour 18
Wenty 50 Chester Hill 12

overtheline

Juniors
The Shellharbour City Marlins suffered their second huge defeat at the hands of the Windsor Wolves at Ron Costello Oval on Easter Thursday.

The Marlins started in fine form and posted a quick ten points on the Wolves before lapses in concentration and defense allowed the Wolves back into the game and they went on to take a half time lead of 16 - 10.

With centre Jason White in the sin bin for the start of the second half, the Marlins believed the game was up for grabs but the Wolves had other ideas and came out with all teeth and claws blazing. The wolves scored a total of 38 points in the second half to the Marlins 8 with the wolves showing far more experience and determination.

The Marlins when on their game are able to score tries from anywhere on the field but forfeiting a number of uneccessary penalties in the play the ball area and lapses in defense at crucial times reflected in the final score.

In the first half the first marlins try was scored by tough hooker Lewis McPhail who used his trademark play and barged his way over from dummy half. The conversion by Matt Coelho was unsuccessful. Unfortunately for the Marlins, McPhail hurt his shoulder and was forced from the field for the remainder of the match which was a great blow for the Marlins. The second try was from Matt Coelho who beat a number of players to score close to the posts and he converted his own try.

In the second half big winger Pat Willis scored two good tries. The first was pouncing on a great kick behind line by smart five eight Bryce Poisel. The kick was unscuccessful. Pats second try was finished with a lovely pass by Hans Schuster on the 40 metre line running from dummy half drawing the defence and passing a short ball to the ever present Poisel who scooted 30 metres. Drawing the opposition fullback and left winger, Poisel popped a great ball to Willis who ran ten metres to score in the Shellcove corner. The kick was unsuccessful.

Special mention must go to lock James Keelan who tackled his proverbial off with a massive 49 tackles. New boys Joe Sang-Yum (front row) and Ken Stokes (wing) made an impact as did Poisel, Coelho, Tunbridge and Rosser.

Final score 54 - 18.

Next week the Marlins play Chester Hill at home. Chester Hill is coached by former Canterbury Bankstown Bulldog Geoff 'Mad Dog' Robinson and managed by former Bulldog Gary Hughes. It will be a big day for the Shellharbour club with the Sharks taking on the Berry in the Group 7 competition. The Marlins will follow the 1st grade match.

Nfed

Juniors
Cabramatta 17 (D Thompson, P Takchi, M Gruzka tries, A Tippett, D Aiga goals, Tippett field goal) beat Seven Hills 16 (D Peachey, M Kelly, R Gerard tries, L Ackroyd 2 goals).

It was 6-6 at half time and the Demons led 16-6 after 15 minutes of the second half. Cabra were even with 12 minutes to go and the field goal came with 5 minutes on the clock.

Cabra's first win for 2007 and the Demons first cant be too far away.

Jonelle

Juniors
Close game with Cabra and Demons.
Outstanding in Cabra was Francis Betham setting up the last 2x tries of the game to victory. Yates, Dominic and Gruska were also outstanding. Gruska was awarded man of the match. Demons played very well and were leading 16 to 6.

Good to hear Wenty back in the game :)

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
#-o d'oh our first win was so close, oh well the demons are looking better each week, first win cant be too far away.
It was a entertaining game to watch, plenty of good collisions.

Stagger eel

Staff member
one_eyed_demon said:
#-o d'oh our first win was so close, oh well the demons are looking better each week, first win cant be too far away.

hardluck hey??...I was thinking about you guys tonight, if I wasn't at the stadium I would of been at 7Hills tonight.

chester

Juniors
one_eyed_demon said:

I agree the first win must be very close, in my opinion Peachey was excellent and I noticed he played most of the game at 5/8 after a injury to Clarke he is so competitive, also Ackroyd and the forwards played their hearts out.
My only concern is once again the right side defence where the game was lost
again, I see on the left Peachey and Fisher provide guidance with line speed up and in on the right it appears to be stop and watch, Fallon and Swamy especially have to sort out their defence structure.

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
chester said:
I agree the first win must be very close, in my opinion Peachey was excellent and I noticed he played most of the game at 5/8 after a injury to Clarke he is so competitive, also Ackroyd and the forwards played their hearts out.
My only concern is once again the right side defence where the game was lost
again, I see on the left Peachey and Fisher provide guidance with line speed up and in on the left it appears to be stop and watch, Fallon and Swamy especially have to sort out their defence structure.

yeah stop and watch, i agree. fallon has always been a left side centre, so hopefully he just gotta adjust, but thats no excuse for poor defensive decisions and missing one on one.

yeah clark was started at 5/8 after watson pulled out late, then clark went to half and peach to 5/8 after fish was injured, peachey did do a great job at 5/8, he played a fair bit in france at 5/8

Matt Kelly helped top tighten up the defence around the ruck too

chester

Juniors
one_eyed_demon said:
yeah stop and watch, i agree. fallon has always been a left side centre, so hopefully he just gotta adjust, but thats no excuse for poor defensive decisions and missing one on one.

yeah clark was started at 5/8 after watson pulled out late, then clark went to half and peach to 5/8 after fish was injured, peachey did do a great job at 5/8, he played a fair bit in france at 5/8

Matt Kelly helped top tighten up the defence around the ruck too

I think Matt Kelly will be a big plus for the team he is not very big but has a hugh heart, I believe Peacheys best position would still be left centre with room to move and when he receives quick ball he has excellent attacking skills however the stint at 5/8 showed some very aggresive defence, he can hit just ask the opposition 5/8. He looks like he could be a good captain the way I seen him talking and pumping up his team mates.
I am also a fan of Lee Cameron a very solid player.
We were very unlucky not to win .

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
chester said:
I think Matt Kelly will be a big plus for the team he is not very big but has a hugh heart, I believe Peacheys best position would still be left centre with room to move and when he receives quick ball he has excellent attacking skills however the stint at 5/8 showed some very aggresive defence, he can hit just ask the opposition 5/8. He looks like he could be a good captain the way I seen him talking and pumping up his team mates.
I am also a fan of Lee Cameron a very solid player.
We were very unlucky not to win .

yep lee cameron has one of the best set of hands i have seen, some of the balls he catches are amazing. also has good footwork.

peach is a co captain, he will stay in the centres.

Matt kelly has a very cool head and is a very good talker, he is a smart player and has very settling influence on the other players

Latest posts