What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Clinton to the broncos?

Broncos chase Clinton
Glenn Jackson | May 31, 2007

BRISBANE have emerged as major contenders to sign Penrith's former Test front-rower Joel Clinton.
The Herald understands Clinton met Broncos coach Wayne Bennett in Brisbane last week and may sign with the premiers early next week.
While the 25-year-old City and Australian representative has been the subject of interest from several NRL clubs, he is now set to decide between his current club and the Broncos.
It is understood Clinton, a Penrith junior, has been offered three-year deals by both clubs and, while he would like to remain at the Panthers, is also flattered by the interest from Bennett, who coached him in his last outing in an Australian jumper, in 2004.
Clinton's manager, David Riolo, also met Penrith officials yesterday, and while tight-lipped about Brisbane's interest, he expected a decision from his client early next week.
"He's looking at all his options," Riolo said. "He's a Penrith boy, and he's really happy there. But Brisbane's also an attractive proposition. We'll sit down early next week and decide."
The Panthers yesterday confirmed the signing of Newcastle prop Adam Woolnough on a three-year deal, which would cushion somewhat the loss of Clinton to the premiers.
The Broncos lost Shane Webcke to retirement last season and have Petero Civoniceva, Dane Carlaw and Brad Thorn off contract at the end of this season. While the club is eager to re-sign Civoniceva, doubts remain over whether Thorn and Carlaw will be at the Broncos next year.
The moves come with the Broncos on the verge of signing another highly rated Penrith junior in Peter Wallace, who is also due to decide between the two clubs early next week. Wallace's manager, Allan Gainey, met Penrith general manager Mick Leary yesterday.
"It's always hard for a young bloke," Gainey said. "He's a local junior who's played 10 first-grade games and he's offered a contract with Brisbane, and Wayne Bennett's identified him as someone whom he really believes would fulfil a role up there alongside Darren Lockyer."
The Broncos yesterday lost centre Brent Tate to the Warriors on a three-year deal and are likely to lose Shaun Berrigan to the English Super League, which would free up significant funds, although much of that will be offset if the Broncos retain youngsters Joel Moon, Greg Eastwood, Darius Boyd, Steve Michaels and Denan Kemp, who are all off contract at the end of the season.
Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said: "We haven't got a war chest."
Meanwhile, North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr described as "positive" his talks with off-contract Manly player Travis Burns, who is keen to return to his home state.
Burns, who has also been the subject of interest from Gold Coast, wants to play five-eighth, however, the Sea Eagles see Jamie Lyon as their long-term option in the position.
"It was just a catch-up," Parr said. "He reiterated to me that he was fairly happy at Manly but he's also interested in playing five-eighth. Obviously our preferences are always North Queenslanders first and Queenslanders second - anyone who comes from north of the border ticks a pretty big box. And he plays in a position we want to strengthen."
Said Burns: "Manly's been good for me but I've just got to sit down and work out what's the best opportunity for me … it's not going to be an easy decision."
And Brett Kimmorley's manager will re-open talks with Cronulla today, 10 days after his two-year, $700,000 offer was taken off the table by the club.
Agent George Mimis will meet Sharks coach Ricky Stuart today to discuss the futures of Kimmorley and his halves partner Adam Dykes.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/broncos-chase-clinton/2007/05/30/1180205342808.html

abpanther

Staff member
I think the fact that we have had a coaching change and that Joel has been dropped to the bench could be the deciding factors, would be a shame to see him go but the fact is he has not performed well this season, despite 100% effort he still makes too many mistakes.

EzyG

Juniors
Hard decision to turn down running along side Petro. What would the Bronco's be saying to Clinton?
I (Wayne Bennent) have confidence in you to replace th void Webke left & go on to lead the forwards after Petro's retirement. + plenty of $$$ on offer.
He is a true enforcer, good luck to him whatever he decides, a real Champion for the Panthers.
I hope we keep him.
Clinton had an interview in whatever paper it back in 03-04 re: being room mates with Webke while plaing for Aus & how the experience motivated him to train & play harder.

Same for Wallace. How can turn down playing along side Lockyer. It's like a once in a life time opportunity

richie8u

Juniors
if Clinton and Wallace go I cant see Brisbane keeping Petro, hodges, moon and Berrigan aswell, i will trade Clinton for Petro and Wallace for Moon,

Kilkenny

Coach
EzyG said:

Same for Wallace. How can turn down playing along side Lockyer. It's like a once in a life time opportunity

No one is guaranteed there position. Peter Wallace going to the Bronco's could easily find himself playing for there feeder club.

Kilkenny said:
No one is guaranteed there position. Peter Wallace going to the Bronco's could easily find himself playing for there feeder club.

exactly , they are ver ficcle with their half backs up there. Still suffering from the Alfie hangover.

Kilkenny

Coach
herbert henry1908 said:
exactly , they are ver ficcle with their half backs up there. Still suffering from the Alfie hangover.

My point exactly. Sure the though of playing inside Darren Lockyer would be an attraction. Half a dozen half backs from Brett Seymour to Shaun Berrigan to Shane Perry have had the opportunity but for one reason or another no one has been able to offload the Langer curse.

I can understand the Bronco's attraction with Wallace. He has a good passing game, good kicking game and can kick goals, something which Lockyer is not that great. Let's face it all you have to do in the role is pass the ball to Darren into his mid-drift and let him do the business.

In relation to Joel Clinton I have serious doubts, all being fair and equal, they could match his salary. Even assuming he has to accept a pay cut from his current salary where are the Bronco's going to find say $300K to capture Joel's signature. It can't happen. Newcastle yes, Bronco's no. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the Storm sign him they seem to have a bottomless pit!

Dazzat

First Grade
We (Broncos) have a truck load of good props running around - Civ, Hannant, Carlaw, Parker, Dave Taylor (the next big thing), Nick Kenny ... can't see why we' need Clinton. Better spending the money on a half ... like Wallace. Good player!

Kilkenny

Coach
Dazzat said:
We (Broncos) have a truck load of good props running around - Civ, Hannant, Carlaw, Parker, Dave Taylor (the next big thing), Nick Kenny ... can't see why we' need Clinton. Better spending the money on a half ... like Wallace. Good player!

Your right you don't need Joel.

I will endeavour to catch up tomorrow night with my contact to see if there are any truth to Joel Clinton rumours and report back accordingly.

My mail out of the Tigers game was Joel is still expected to resign but there has certainly been some strong rumours in the press this week about interest from more than just the Broncos.

Dazzat

First Grade
Why has Clinton never played for NSW ... is it because he makes a few errors? Or is there another reason - bad haircut? What? He seems to have the aggression and ability, but hasn't gone further.

Dave Q

Coach
He can catch a ball and run hard and straight.

A lost skill these days, like grounding the ball.

Lets hope the Panthers are not skanked by the greedy soon to be Tateless Broncs.

Elliot better ask Joely to turn around and then kiss him on cheeks quick.

A bit of change from when he turned up and was allegedly rude and indifferent to some players.

Maybe Joely can use his dealings to get rid of Adamson

Dazzat said:
Why has Clinton never played for NSW ... is it because he makes a few errors? Or is there another reason - bad haircut? What? He seems to have the aggression and ability, but hasn't gone further.

There was a point around 2004 he deserved to be there but since then he has steadily been in decline IMO , way to many errors and peanalties. I know he gives 110% but i wont be too dissapointed about losing him.

Peter Wallace on the other hand is very dissapointing , hopefully we can now have a go at getting Travis Burns. I doubt we get him though.

Dave Q said:
He can catch a ball and run hard and straight.

A lost skill these days, like grounding the ball.

Lets hope the Panthers are not skanked by the Broncs.

Elliot better kiss Joely's cheeks quick.[/color]

He's already gone from what i read on panthers interactive.

I wouldnt say he's great at catching the ball though.

EzyG

Juniors
Kilkenny said:

Hoping that thought will influence Wallace's decision to stay with us.

He may look at it like a personal challenge if he doesn't take he'll spend the rest of his career wondering what if.
Bronco's need a half with a good kicking game like Wallace. He has so much more potential than players like Seymour or Finch ever had.

If they do get him, I hope they just dont drop him if he doesn't pass the Alfie challenge after half a season. I can't see that happening though, his leadership qualities are gaining in confidence weekly

mxlegend99

Referee
I can handle losing. It's hard to take, but i still love my team.

Our management that keeps letting player after player leave, and signing people with a fraction of the talent, is what makes it hard to support our team. Watching my favourite players leave us for clubs i hate is absolutely killing me.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I know I'm hurting at the moment. I have nothing to feel inspired about my club whatsoever right now.

Latest posts