What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Clinton

chopsy_05

Juniors
From Triple M

Desperate for a front-rower after a series of injuries to their big men, the Wests Tigers are considering signing former Panthers premiership-winning prop Joel Clinton reports Sportal's The Lurker.

It's been a decade since Clinton helped Penrith win the 2003 grand final in a major upset over the Roosters and the big prop has had stints with the Broncos and Hull KR since then.

He's currently playing for Mackay Cutters in the Queensland Cup and is desperate for a return to the NRL.

Thoughts?

Pretty happy with what we've got and our untested depth.
BMM must play prop. Will kill it there. Isnt a wide running backrower.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
For the money (I would expect very little money) they would pay, he's handy to have on the books.

Experience in the forwards is something we do lack.

gronkathon

First Grade
Handy to have.

Considering we have two props basically gone for the season, one who passsed in tragic circumstances and another two currently with less then 5 NRL games between them.

One more injury and we may well be up that creek with no paddle.

FootynRacing

Juniors
Handy to have.

Considering we have two props basically gone for the season, one who passsed in tragic circumstances and another two currently with less then 5 NRL games between them.

One more injury and we may well be up that creek with no paddle.

I agree with this but surely there is a better option than Clinton. Surely there is a guy playing NSW Cup at the moment that can't get a crack and could get an immediate release to join us ? I have no idea who, maybe just wishful thinking.

They can't be serious! I would rather have Skando back ,not to mention the releasing of Gibbs and Fifita again has come back to hurt us .

innsaneink

Referee
I agree with this but surely there is a better option than Clinton. Surely there is a guy playing NSW Cup at the moment that can't get a crack and could get an immediate release to join us ? I have no idea who, maybe just wishful thinking.

W must be broke....everyone says we are.

He cant hurt, the young blokes up front cant carry us all season. He'd give them some time and breathing space....Woods will likely be missing mid year dont forget.

We need an experienced bloke that hasnt played NRL for 3 or 4 years, thats how bad it is for us.

With Sheens gone I thought we'd stop signing washed up ex-panthers.

In all seriousness, we have lost a few props now, so having another one on the books can't be a bad thing. It's not like he will be getting a whole lot of game time. Outside Woods and Bell none of our props would have 50 games to their name with Galloway out.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't get all the Clinton hate, yeah he isn't awesome but what do people expect come round 4 of the season? We aren't exactly going to be seeing James Tamou come down are we?!?

We need a prop Desperatly, he will come for sweet fa and if there's someone better then him he won't play first grade

super_coach

First Grade
The season has already kicked off, so it's near impossible to find a quality front rower.Actually saw a highlight package of him on you tube playing in the ESL last year.He went okay,we only need about 20 to 30 minutes a game out of him.I can't think of anyone better who is off contract and with Woods a special for SOO we need to bolster our stock

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I guess we were saying the same thing about Mason too (maybe for different reasons) but if Clinton turned out to be 50 to 75 percent of Mason right now I'd take that. He is still big enough to bend the line where guys like Pettybourne and a few others, while all heart, are really second rowers trying to fill in at prop...size no doubt helps in that position.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see a problem here. He'd do pretty much what Cashmere did for us last year which is all we'd need.

I expect Potter to make some signings at the end of the year to bolster our forwards.

Bulldog Force

Referee
He flopped at the Broncos. If the Tigers want to sign him, my advice would be match payments, not a contract. Maybe he'll lift in that instance.