What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson feels at home with the Dragons

getsmarty

Immortal
Joel Thompson feels at home with the Dragons

By MITCH JENNINGS

Dec. 2, 2014, 6:09 p.m.

RUGBY LEAGUE - DRAGONS

It was a bumpy road back to top form but Dragons firebrand Joel Thompson finally feels at home in the Red V.
The 2014 season was supposed to be a breakout year for the 26-year-old in which he finally delivered on the potential that had been hamstrung by injury and constant positional shifts in his six seasons with Canberra.
But after a strong pre-season, the first half of 2014 followed the same frustrating script with Thompson deployed sporadically in the centres and from the interchange bench under former coach Steve Price.
For Thompson, it was the same old story as his time with the Raiders when he became a victim of his own versatility. Exacerbating his on-field frustration, Thompson's young family also struggled with the move away from family in Canberra, leaving him to consider a return to the Raiders just one year into his three-year deal with the Dragons.
"I was getting shifted around in a lot of different spots and was really unsettled," Thompson said.
"At the time there were a lot of factors outside of footy that were affecting me.
"I had some personal things and family issues that I don't share but for me and my family going back to Canberra was an option. I know people use the family card a bit but mine was legitimate."
The possible move back to Canberra has been mentioned as a factor in the Dragons' salary cap woes but Thompson said a move back to the Raiders was far from a done deal.
"It never got further than just talking. It definitely wasn't as big as people have said it was."
Thompson said it was a heart-to-heart with coach Paul McGregor that convinced him to see out his deal and produce career best form over the latter half of the season.
"I had some good chats with Mary," Thompson said.
"He's pretty easy to talk to and I had some honest conversations with him and some close people around me and I was pretty honest with myself."
With his life on and off the field now settled, Thompson is confident a good pre-season will see him fully deliver on the potential that once saw him touted as a future rep star.
"It's great to have a settled family and a happy family environment," he said.
"It's been good for my footy and good for me personally. It's the best thing in the world.
"I'm happy I stuck to my contract and Mary and the Dragons have put faith in me.
"I want to repay that faith. I've got a lot more to give and I really want to push myself to my full potential."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ompson-feels-at-home-with-the-dragons/?cs=302

Dea

Juniors
Here's hoping he isn't the only one to play at their potential.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Great News. I hope he fulfils his potential next year and really enjoys playing for the mighty Dragons.

Minh

First Grade
Started playing really well late in the season so hope that continues next year.

Kuro

Juniors
Thompson is one of those solid players which any team would love to have. He's fairly consistent with the bonus ability to occasionally break open a game.

blacksafake

First Grade
Always had an opinion of him,glad he has decided to stay & with a full off season he should be ready to peak.

bottle

Coach
I'm also glad he's happy.
I hope to f**k he now makes me happy in return by starting the season on fire and delivering on his pay packet, rather than taking 16 rounds to warm into it.
I deserve happiness too.

FlameThrower

Bench
Lets not break out the champagne just yet....everyone has forgotten his leave/ stay change of mind added to the salary cap dramas.

TruSaint

Referee
I'm also glad he's happy.
I hope to f**k he now makes me happy in return by starting the season on fire and delivering on his pay packet, rather than taking 16 rounds to warm into it.
I deserve happiness too.

Dear Joel,

There's nothing worse than an empty, silent, sad bottle.

Get you act together. lol.

He will deliver mate.

IF the rumours are true and he is settled, then sit back and enjoy.

TS

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
With Thompson on the left edge, Friz on the right and either Merrin/JDB at lock, it's a fairly solid backrow.

We really need to snare a hard as nails front rower to start with Creagh. Someone who makes the opposition run the other way!