What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey apologises to Cecchin

CrazyEel

Bench
Johns cops two-match ban

By Steve Jancetic
August 16, 2006
NEWCASTLE halfback Andrew Johns is free to play in the NRL finals after having his contrary conduct charge downgraded at the NRL judiciary tonight Johns was suspended for two matches for calling sideline official Matt Cecchin a "f---ing c--t" during the Knights' 16-14 loss to Manly on the New South Wales central Coast last week.

The grade-three contrary conduct charge was downgraded to grade two, which carried a 295 point penalty including his 93 carry over points. Johns was facing a four-game ban for the grade-three charge, which would have wiped him out until week three of the finals had the Knights progressed that far without their inspirational leader and chief playmaker.

Such is Johns' impact on the Knights fortunes, bookmakers threatened to blow Newcastle's premiership odds out from $17 to $51 if Johns was banned for the maximum term.

After initially refusing to apologise for the incident in the days following the heated exchange, which occurred as Johns led a chorus of protests about a missed knock-on, Johns opened his defence by expressing his absolute contrition.

"I feel a lot of remorse for what happened ... I'm so sorry," Johns said only days after writing in his weekly column in The Sunday Telegraph that Cechin should apologise for him.

"At the time I didn't know what I had said to Matt Cecchin.

"It wasn't until I saw the footage, I suppose it doesn't do me any favours."

He also wrote a letter to Cecchin today in which he apologised unreservedly.

"I totally regret making the comment," he wrote.

"Much of what went on in those final minutes is a blur to me, and was spur of the moment, but that is no excuse."

Questioned by judiciary counsel Peter Kite as to why it took him five days to apologise, Johns said: "I thought it would be inappropriate to talk to them before tonight."

Kite said it was important the judiciary took a tough stand on the issue, and not be seen to be condoning abuse towards officials.

He showed vision of comparable incidents this year in which Melbourne five-eighth Scott Hill and Parramatta halfback Jeremy Smith were suspended for pushing referees as examples of how match officials had to be protected.
"This is not about a player muttering an expletive ... this is about a comment directed at a match official ... a comment which is derogatory," Kite said.

Judiciary chairman Greg Woods instructed his three-man panel of Scott Tronc, Darren Britt and Darrell Williams to take into account Johns's apology when reaching their verdict, saying the match review committee had not had the benefit of the apology when issuing the charge.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20152761-23214,00.html

CrazyEel

Bench
Questioned by judiciary counsel Peter Kite as to why it took him five days to apologise, Johns said: "I thought it would be inappropriate to talk to them before tonight."
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

parra pete

Referee
Was he really sorry he said it? Or sorry that he was going to get four weeks?
Good luck to him... BUT....his apology is insincere..he is just looking after his own backside.
He should have allocated a 4 match suspension OR $50,000 fine. Let him choose...with the money going to a charity or for the development of Rugby League in the Country Rugby League...Hit them in the pocket a couple of times..

Rod

Bench
Who cares if it was insincere? At least he did it. I bet half the apologies players give at the judiciary are insincere.

Cranky

Juniors
parra pete said:
..he is just looking after his own backside.
The sad thing is that poor old BargeArse has 3 hired security fellas already watching his arse but because of it's incredible girth, he feels he must glance at it himself from time to time!:lol::lol:

Leagueguy

Juniors
From his previous article:

I WILL not be apologising to touch judge Matt Cecchin for what I said in the final minute of our loss to Manly on Friday night.

If anyone should be apologising, it is him.

Let me say here and now that what I said wasn't directed at him and the language I used was heat of the moment stuff.

VS

This from tonight.

I feel a lot of remorse for what happened ... I'm so sorry,"

"At the time I didn't know what I had said to Matt Cecchin.
"It wasn't until I saw the footage, I suppose it doesn't do me any favours."
"Much of what went on in those final minutes is a blur to me, and was spur of the moment, but that is no excuse."

I want to know why he even discused appologizing to Chechin in the original article. If he said it wasn't aimed at Checcin why would he appologize? . Weird though that he then says he should get an appology and spends the rest of the article defending himself. Again why bother defending himself if it wasn't directed at anyone. Surely he is effectively admitting in this article that he did direct it at him.

Secondly and the massive thing out of all of this has to be that he says he doesn't remember saying that to chechin. haha. Yet he admits that he remembers swearing in the original article. He also remembers that it wasn't at Matt Checcin. But now it is a blur. THIS IS A BLATANT LIE.

Also:

He also wrote a letter to Cecchin today in which he apologised unreservedly.

But he did send the letter before tonight. Or is it still in the mail on the way to the referees office and Checcin will get it tommorow?

Leagueguy

Juniors
Can I also point out that this is on the NRL website:

" Johns suspended for two matches
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:12 PM

Newcastle halfback Andrew Johns is free to play in the NRL finals after having his contrary conduct charge downgraded at the NRL judiciary.

Johns was suspended for two matches for calling sideline official Matt Cecchin a "f***king merkin" in the Knights' 16-14 loss to Manly last week. "

Wouldn't a lot of kids read the NRL website, I thought it kind of had to be family orientated. I realize the swear words are blocked out, but you still get the idea. Just find it funny that the kids they are tyring to protect can read exactly what he said on their own website.

bartman

Immortal
An apology only when it is forced is not an apology. Johns sure is a prima donna, hope Brian Smith brings his ego into line.

sydraider

First Grade
parra pete said:
Was he really sorry he said it? Or sorry that he was going to get four weeks?
Good luck to him... BUT....his apology is insincere..he is just looking after his own backside.
He should have allocated a 4 match suspension OR $50,000 fine. Let him choose...with the money going to a charity or for the development of Rugby League in the Country Rugby League...Hit them in the pocket a couple of times..

Hell of an idea, would b good to see the CRL get some more money.

Meanie

Juniors
Rod said:
Who cares if it was insincere? At least he did it. I bet half the apologies players give at the judiciary are insincere.

An insincere apology is as good as nothing.

Winston Smith

Juniors
mickdo said:
The most insincere apology in NRL history

I'd bet Johns had nothing to do with writing it. Probably didn't even read it - Fordham would have given it to him and told him "sign here". That would have been the maximum involvement of Johns in the apology.

I find it funny when footy players make statements that are so obviously not their own words (if questioned, most of them probably don't know the meaning of what they were told to say).

roosters06

Juniors
An insincere apology achieves nothing but prolonging the bad publicity for all concerned.

He should have apologised straight after the game, and who knows - some people might actually still have a shred of respect left for him.

Molon Lave

Juniors
roosters06 said:
An insincere apology achieves nothing but prolonging the bad publicity for all concerned.

He should have apologised straight after the game, and who knows - some people might actually still have a shred of respect left for him.
people had respect for him already??? :shock:

Latest posts