What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey can go for four more

RABK

Referee
Joey can go for four more
By Dean Ritchie
July 7, 2005

QUEENSLAND and Newcastle coach Michael Hagan has forecast the mercurial Andrew Johns could play on in the NRL until he is 35 years old.

0,5001,5024472,00.jpg
Well done ... Hagan congratulates Johns last night. Pic: Mark Evans

It is a prediction that will frighten opposition coaches and clubs.

Hagan said there was no reason why Johns, now 31, could not continue in the Telstra Premiership for another four years.

Johns led New South Wales to a dominant 32-10 victory in last night's deciding State of Origin match against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

The Queensland coach said Johns' injury run in recent years could act as a strange advantage.

Asked to put an age on Johns' retirement, Hagan said: "It's hard to put a number on it but if he wants to he might be in the game another three or four years.

"If anything, because he missed so much footy, the injuries have probably prolonged his career a little bit.

"Blokes look after themselves so well these days. It isn't such a big issue when we're 31 or 32 any more.

"I think he is still enjoying it, Joey's a great trainer and his attitude is always 100 per cent."

<DIV id=promoIslandRight>Advertisement:
on error resume next ShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))if ( ShockMode

Thats ambitious but hell if he can I certainly wouldnt complain, especially if Mullen can grab the 5/8th spot outside him.

Maybe he might even sign for less next time....

RABK

Referee
If it were to happen our chances of picking up a premiership or two by the end of this decade would improve ten fold.

I know this for a fact, Johns wants another premiership before retiring.

antonius

Coach
He would have to take a pay cut for us to keep him. Buderus contract goes up in 2007. With both him and Johns taking $400,000 plus each, that's a huge chunk out of our cap.

macavity

Referee
....but would he, that is the big question.

one would hope so, but the events of the past 2 re-negotiations indicate otherwise...

he would go up immesurably in every Novocastrian's eyes if he put the club above personal gain. for once.

come on Joey, how about it?

Alex28

Coach
After this year as well he simply has to. As great a player that he is - it has been a long, long time since we have got $500,000 worth of value out of him (try 2001).

Nuffy

Bench
If he wants a premiership so badly, why didn't he give a little amount of his motza over to BK and Tahu to sweeten the deal.

Nuffy said:
If he wants a premiership so badly, why didn't he give a little amount of his motza over to BK and Tahu to sweeten the deal.

Yes agreed - seeing the media make Joey and BK out to be best of mates - which I am sure they are - patricularly now that BK's at Manly.

Even if he played for $200,000 thats still 5 times what the average joe in Newcastle earns. He has been made a millionairre in his own right. I noticed he has recently demolished his Merewether home and is rebuilding one from from this contract monies or from Sommerset park commercials or Channel 9 commitments or Nike sponsorship monies or Coastline Pools &r Kelly Holden commercails or maybe just from the bank interest on his millions.

Come on Joey .. Your last contract was for you. Howabout the next one for OUR TOWN.

Knight

Juniors
I'd love to see him go for four more, but as you say, for less. Assuming he's on $500K now, possibly 350-400K?

Ben

Bench
Johns should seem that as reasonable, as he is aging and he doesnt really need the money after gaining a million plus in two years and his future is secured as a commentator.

Latest posts