What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey can save Smith: Hagan

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/joey-can-save-smith-hagan/2007/12/15/1197568327380.html
Joey can save Smith: Hagan

Adrian Proszenko | December 16, 2007

PARRAMATTA coach Michael Hagan says Andrew Johns may have a role to play in the rehabilitation of troubled star Tim Smith as the pair share "similarities" in their struggles with personal demons.

Smith is battling depression and has booked himself into an interstate rehabilitation centre after his latest alcohol-fuelled indiscretion almost cost him his Eels contract.

Johns has been working with Smith in his capacity as a halves coach but his greatest advice could be on dealing with alcoholism and the pressures of the NRL spotlight.

Hagan, who gave Johns great support during his much-publicised battles with drugs and bipolar disorder, said the former Newcastle halfback could be a sounding board for Smith.

"He has already spoken to him at different times on the pressure you can be under in the NRL at a young age and the spotlight you can be in," Hagan told The Sun-Herald.

"I think he has already done that informally and is working with him on the skill point of view as well, so he's someone he could talk to from time to time.

"He's keen on the coaching part of [being a mentor] with the young players at our football club, but I think he has a genuine interest in seeing [Smith] do well and get some help, as well.

"I'm sure he can empathise with where he's coming from.

"There's some similarities, certainly the alcohol is an issue for both of them and Andrew has acknowledged that, as well."

Hagan has told Eels players they had an obligation to "intervene" if Smith or anyone else at the club was putting themselves at risk and also asked them not to comment publicly on the Smith affair.

However, the issue isn't over as the club will investigate reports Smith and other teammates damaged property at Easts Leagues Club during a night out.

"The investigations are ongoing, we believe there was an incident at Easts Leagues and that some of our players may have been involved," football manager Andrew Hill said.

Eels forward Nathan Hindmarsh wrote on his blog site: "There comes a time when you are out drinking that you should go home and Timmy needs to realise when that is and also recognise there is a time and a place for heading out, and it's probably not midweek."

Hurriflatch

Referee
Johns has had depression and addiction issues
Smith has had depression and addiction issues

Both are halfbacks coached by Hagan

am I the only one seeing the connection.

Seriously though, as said Johns might be worth more to Smith in a role as a freind who has gone through the same thing then he'll even be as a football skills coach

roopy

Referee
Joey will probably be some help to Smith as a positive role model, but Joey needed and received the very best of medical care to get his problems under control.

The Knights doctor, Neil Halpin, recognised Joey's problem and was able to get him treated by Professor Parker, the head of the 'Black Dog' institute, who is the top psychiatrist in the field of depression in the country. Joey has been on the appropriate medication for his illness for over 7 years now, and his 'meltdown' in England was attributed to him missing his medication for several days because of a mix-up with his luggage.

Joey might be some help, but topflight medical care is what got Joey through his problems and i'd reckon Hagan should be phoneing Neil Halpin if he really wants to repeat the Joey success story.

strider

Post Whore
roopy said:
Joey will probably be some help to Smith as a positive role model, but Joey needed and received the very best of medical care to get his problems under control.

The Knights doctor, Neil Halpin, recognised Joey's problem and was able to get him treated by Professor Parker, the head of the 'Black Dog' institute, who is the top psychiatrist in the field of depression in the country. Joey has been on the appropriate medication for his illness for over 7 years now, and his 'meltdown' in England was attributed to him missing his medication for several days because of a mix-up with his luggage.

Joey might be some help, but topflight medical care is what got Joey through his problems and i'd reckon Hagan should be phoneing Neil Halpin if he really wants to repeat the Joey success story.
joey admitted to being on the E's for many years - I don't think his luggage got lost that many times .... the drugs and alcohol were joey's way of coping and probably ended up a habit ..... at the moment timmy is just doing the booze, hopefully he can sort it out soon - he'd do well to just listen to what joey went through and realise others are in the same place

SAF

Juniors
roopy said:

I would hardly call Joey a success story at the moment. How long was it since he got busted, a few months !!. Maybe you could call him that that we he hasn't touched the stuff for a few years or so. I think Joey is still battling his own demons at this stage. The way people talk it is as if he is "okay" now just becuase he got busted and seeked treatment for his illness. He still has a long way to go

Latest posts