What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey - 'UP FOR GRABS'

Matt23

Staff member
...Yeah dont think other half backs would'nt jump at the chance to play here, I remember the last time Joey was off contract, a certain other half back was watching and waiting for Johns to make his decision.

princess plj

Juniors
i don't know if any of u saw the article in the daily telegraph if not here it is? is this what is going to be like until joey signs some sort of a contract?

We're keeping Joey

By JASON AVEDISSIAN and JAMES HOOPER

January 12, 2004

NEWCASTLE Knights officials will cocoon themselves around Andrew Johns in coming weeks in a bid to stop the champion halfback from joining rugby union.

As first revealed in The Sunday Telegraph on January 4, Johns is keen to try his luck at the 15-man game after witnessing first-hand the thrilling World Cup final between Australia and England in November.

The belief in rugby circles is that Johns, off contract at the end of 2004, would make a smooth transition, provided he stays fit. He will attempt a return to the paddock in two weeks for the World Sevens tournament in Sydney after sitting out the tail-end of 2003 with a neck injury.

Rugby officials want to get the 29-year-old on board and in tune with the game ahead of the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

But the Knights will have first option on the star, meeting with Johns' manager John Fordham on January 24 to secure his future.

"We'll certainly be doing everything within our power to retain him," Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway told The Daily Telegraph yesterday. "We think he's the best footballer in the world and a great bloke.

"He certainly hasn't expressed the desire to me to go to rugby union."

Fordham said that at this stage he had no plans to meet with the ARU. "That's not to say I won't be," he said.

Fordham said playing rugby or joining another NRL club were options available to Johns.

"I haven't got around to whether he could play with the Sydney Swans or be a movie star," Fordham said.

"But I won't be hawking him around the clubs.

"Rugby is just one of the options. We are only in the middle of January and there's still plenty of time before we make a decision on Andrew."

NRL boss David Gallop said he would be "very surprised" if Johns followed the likes of Mat Rogers, Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri as former Kangaroos to join rugby.

"I saw Andrew Johns last week and he didn't indicate to me that he was interested in going to play rugby union," Gallop said. "All he could talk about was how excited he is about playing with the Knights.

"I'm sure he'd be a great rugby union player, but I'd be very surprised if he went and played. We would miss Andrew Johns but there are plenty of people ready to step up and be the new stars of our game."

Rugby World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer said Johns was one of the all-time great footballers who would succeed in rugby.

"It's hard to believe that a player of his talent wouldn't go well in rugby," Dwyer said. "But there's some very good players at NSW and they might just turn it around this year.

"And I don't think NSW alone could afford him."

NSW coach Ewen McKenzie said: "It's nice to see someone like Andrew Johns is interested in the game.

"Our only concern now is preparing for our first trial match against the Chiefs on January 30."

The Godfather

Juniors
Holla if ya hear me said:
Godfather-DRIVEL!!!
Everyone who plays in the Knights jersey never wants to leave the place
If he stays -EXCELLENT!!!!
If he goes -Weve had the best part of 10/11 years in seeing a player go from 15s to the best the game has seen.Good on him for looking for challenges and not sitting back to collect the money
personally

Wow, any quicker, the snails will be worried !!

That was the point of my drivel.

Joey DOES NOT want to leave
The ARU are not that keen to get him

But to secure a good contract and not allow the Knights to show him the door as they did with Matty, start a rumour that he will "switch" to something that can pay the big $$$$$$
This way, the Knights are forced to show their hand as to how much they really want to keep him.

Alex28

Coach
why would they be interested in him?

i seriously dont think there is another 4 years in him - particularly at international level where they start playing for state in February and usually end up playing internationals through to November. If his body cant handle a March-Septemer season how is he going to handle a longer season? Also buying a 30 year old halfback is hardly a great investment for the future - plus they have Chris Whittaker and Matt Giteau...we should be trying to poach Giteau - now that would be a coup...

Cant Fordham be charged with bringing the game into disrepute or something?
Shopping a player around-Making up dribble to up a client contract BEFORE they come off contract
Fair dinkum!fordham should be taken out and beaten
Kaz mentioned an interview in NRL section where he completely backed down and terminated the interview when he trotted out the old crap "Taken out of context" line.
Surely someone can pull him into line
HEY.....MAYBE JOHNS SHOULD!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

58 days until.....Abraham steps up into a blues jumper!

Football Crazy

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Today's papers suggest that Joey and his Management will ommence discussions in Sydney during the World Seven's...

If the Knights were smart they would have had him stitched up for life a few seasons ago. Just how STUPID are they to wait for 9 months before his contract runs out .. I am glad the papers told the Knights that they better sit down and have a chat with him, otherwise they wouldnt even be talking at the World 7's

Football Crazy

Juniors
Godfather-DRIVEL!!!
Good on him for looking for challenges and not sitting back to collect the money
personally-Keep him on the same money as now-We can afford that-Tahu has said to give him a contract and hell sign it And maybe downgrade Kennedy who is always a bit of a injury worry

You clown.. Not looking for the Money - Thats exactly what he IS doing. And the Knights are stupid for not having already signed him up for life.. like all other SMART and WELL RUN clubs do with their superstars. If they lose him - they deserve too.. Isn't January a bit late to be resigning the Knights ONLY ASSET? have.. and next year they may not.. Pfft Goodnight KNIGHTS

greeneyed

First Grade
The latest is that WELSH RUGBY UNION want him (old Moffo comes to the fore again)......... (see yesterday's DT). The ARU said they don't want him.......

Personally, I think it would be a disaster for our code if he were to go to union, not because I like him much, but he is exceptionally skilled and has stature as the best player in either rugby code. He doesn't need to actually play Wilkinson for that to be obvious. We all know rugby union is a second rate game that has been trumped up by exceptional media management and corporate schmoozing.

I think it would be good to see Johns play out his career as a one club man with the Knights.

Football Crazy said:
Godfather-DRIVEL!!!
Good on him for looking for challenges and not sitting back to collect the money
personally-Keep him on the same money as now-We can afford that-Tahu has said to give him a contract and hell sign it And maybe downgrade Kennedy who is always a bit of a injury worry

You clown.. Not looking for the Money - Thats exactly what he IS doing. And the Knights are stupid for not having already signed him up for life.. like all other SMART and WELL RUN clubs do with their superstars. If they lose him - they deserve too.. Isn't January a bit late to be resigning the Knights ONLY ASSET? have.. and next year they may not.. Pfft Goodnight KNIGHTS
Football idiot....Whats up with you??
Im saying ...Keep him on his current money
If thats not good enough.Let him walk
We could sign 2 players for his money
Without a Licenced club to back us up and the money he is on..3 years is probably all they felt comfortable with offering back then
He took it..and he probably will again

53 days until Brisbane get the chance to win again