What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Morris Quits

Frailty

First Grade
Clearly they wanted to go in a different direction and had made that decision a long time before this meeting.

A day before the Sharks made their decision, Morris held a 90-minute crisis meeting with the club, where he was told he was still in the mix to retain his role as the club's senior coach.

"The door was left open [after the meeting]," he added.

"I don't want to question the club on what happened. Within 24 hours of that, I was terminated."

So I think it's important to get a bit of a timeline:
  • During the covid break last season, Orr approaches the club seeking an extension and pay increase - halfway through Morris' contract and at a time of uncertainty in the game. Club knocks back discussions until a later time.
  • Some stage in the off-season, media is reporting that Morris has until round 10 to prove himself in the role. No one from the club makes comment on this.
  • Two weeks ago, media starts building pressure on Sharks to make a decision on coach implying the uncertainty is preventing players from re-signing with the club. It doesn't take a genius where that story has been pushed from.
  • Media reports Sharks approaching Craig Fitzgibbon about coaching from 2022.
  • A scheduled meeting between Orr and the Sharks now has Morris attending in light of the news. What transpired in that meeting has been disputed.
  • Kent reports early on Tuesday that Orr has sent messages to journalists asking them to 'investigate the rumour that Fitzgibbon (or his team) has contacted the Sharks to withdraw his interest due to lack of professionalism". This isn't true and Fitzgibbon signs a deal with the Sharks.
  • Sharks determine that there is no benefit for the Sharks for Morris to continue in the role this season given what had transpired.
I do think the Sharks could have acted better, however I think a lot of issues for Morris has been caused by his agent trying to manipulate the situation. Sharks management have been criticised for their 'silence' during the situation, and then criticised when they have come out with their perspective.

Even the concerns that they've made publicly about Bomber, they always premised with his potential as a coach and that they have no doubt he would be a successful coach.

does it? All that stays is they lost control of the situation when it ran away from them and it blew up in their face. Like I said not a bad decision, just not done very respectfully for a guy who has given a lot to the club.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you'd actually read the whole article, not just the tidbits that suit you. My bad.

txta2

Bench
The writing was on the wall for Morris a while ago. Bit surprising he lasted as long as he did.As the Sharks CEO stated it was all about timing with the coaching circus merry go round.

MugaB

Coach
The writing was on the wall for Morris a while ago. Bit surprising he lasted as long as he did.As the Sharks CEO stated it was all about timing with the coaching circus merry go round.
If its true about Cameron Ciraldo, teaming up with Fitzgibbon as an assistant, wouldn't mind John Morris at our club, although Sharks haven't been solid defensively since Flano got banned, but tht could have also been gal, lewis and ennis retiring, and guys like johnson, woods and moylan being defensive turnstyles, probably not morris's coaching