What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Morris

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Now that the whole silly season has settled down a bit, what do people make of the decision to release John Morris so easily before the anti-tampering deadline had even expired. At the time I thought we must definately have someone wrapped up to play 5/8th next year. However as can now be seen we really didn't have anyone. Even Blake was not re-signed at the time.

I should clarify that I don't believe Morris to be a natural 5/8th but I also don't believe Green is either as I believe he is actually a halfback.

I don't like like to generally criticise decisions the club make as I don't have any inside knowledge of the goings on but to me this decision to release Morris seemed a bit premature. I mean he guided us to a minor premiership last year as a 5/8th and showed again last weekend what sort of player he is and it is not like we are short of cash. The only conclusion I can come to is that Hagan doesn't rate Morris or that we thought we had one Judas in the bag. If the latter is the case, surely the saying once bitten, twice shy comes to mind. Until he signed a contract we should not have taken anything for granted with that individual

I am starting to lean towards PJ playing 5/8th next year but he is unproven at the position as well.

What do people think? Could it be that Hagan just doesn't rate Morris?

I would have kept Morris to be a utility.

If we don't snare a 5/8....I would have kept him and swapped jersey numbers with PJ.

Morris' work out of dummy half this year when played there have been his best games.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Now that the whole silly season has settled down a bit, what do people make of the decision to release John Morris so easily before the anti-tampering deadline had even expired. At the time I thought we must definately have someone wrapped up to play 5/8th next year. However as can now be seen we really didn't have anyone. Even Blake was not re-signed at the time.

I should clarify that I don't believe Morris to be a natural 5/8th but I also don't believe Green is either as I believe he is actually a halfback.

I don't like like to generally criticise decisions the club make as I don't have any inside knowledge of the goings on but to me this decision to release Morris seemed a bit premature. I mean he guided us to a minor premiership last year as a 5/8th and showed again last weekend what sort of player he is and it is not like we are short of cash. The only conclusion I can come to is that Hagan doesn't rate Morris or that we thought we had one Judas in the bag. If the latter is the case, surely the saying once bitten, twice shy comes to mind. Until he signed a contract we should not have taken anything for granted with that individual

I am starting to lean towards PJ playing 5/8th next year but he is unproven at the position as well.

What do people think? Could it be that Hagan just doesn't rate Morris?

Morris had a contract option for next season and was in the plans for next year. Beyond that the club were not sure as to the direction they were taking and didn't want to commit to John beyond next year. John wanted to extend the deal and didn't want to wait on what happened next season. He scored a three year deal at the Tigers so the rest is history. It isn't about Hagan rating him or not - it was about whether or not the club wanted to commit to a player they consider a utility more than a 5/8 long term. Disappointed to see him go but I don't think he is the long term answer at 5/8.

PJ played a lot of 2002 at 5/8 for the Warriors before injuries forced his move to hooker.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE, the club was placed in a very difficult position with John and his manager..

Morris was contracted till next year and the club we're happy to have him there but had a clause in his contract in his favour and Johnny needed some security in his career and requested the club to committ to a 3 year deal which the club was reluctant to do as they couldn't commit beyond 2007..as it turns out the club had 2 choices..Keep John and release Blake or let John go, hope to sign a replacement or have PJ there until blake's ready.

personally, I don't have a problem with the decision the club's made.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Morris had a contract option for next season and was in the plans for next year. Beyond that the club were not sure as to the direction they were taking and didn't want to commit to John beyond next year. John wanted to extend the deal and didn't want to wait on what happened next season. He scored a three year deal at the Tigers so the rest is history. It isn't about Hagan rating him or not - it was about whether or not the club wanted to commit to a player they consider a utility more than a 5/8 long term. Disappointed to see him go but I don't think he is the long term answer at 5/8.

PJ played a lot of 2002 at 5/8 for the Warriors before injuries forced his move to hooker.

All agreed but I see the problem as being we had no insurance at 5/8th. My main question is did we let him go too quickly without any alternatives. I have no real problems with him leaving, just the timing

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraren said:
Would I have signed him for 1 year? Yes

Would I have signed him for 3 years? No

and that was the clubs stance...unfortunately John didn't see it that way.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
All agreed but I see the problem as being we had no insurance at 5/8th. My main question is did we let him go too quickly without any alternatives. I have no real problems with him leaving, just the timing

Why do we need insurance with a guy who isn't really a 5/8?

Mateo, Green, Marsh. Three players who can play the role, one with plenty of first grade experience. No different really to keeping Morris.

Bigfella

Coach
I am starting to lean towards PJ playing 5/8th

That view is getting aired quite often.

However if PJ is a better option at 5/8 why would he not be selected there this week and for the rest of the season, if not from the beginning of the season?

I like PJ as a player, but surely his best contributions at any time for the club have been from dummy half?

If there was a "plan" behind letting Morris go I would have presumed it would have been apparent by reason of another signing.

One would have to imagine that Green / Mateo are the long term options - and are viewed as not yet ready to take the role in first grade.

mickdo

Coach
Bigfella said:
That view is getting aired quite often.

However if PJ is a better option at 5/8 why would he not be selected there this week and for the rest of the season, if not from the beginning of the season?

I like PJ as a player, but surely his best contributions at any time for the club have been from dummy half?

If there was a "plan" behind letting Morris go I would have presumed it would have been apparent by reason of another signing.

One would have to imagine that Green / Mateo are the long term options - and are viewed as not yet ready to take the role in first grade.
Problem is, at the moment JT is the coach. In his view he may not want PJ at 5/8, even though it could be in Hagan's plans for next year.

So, does Hagan have an influence with JT for team selections for this year? Would he ask Taylor to put PJ at 5/8 for the rest of 2006, and further to that, would JT do it if asked?

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Why do we need insurance with a guy who isn't really a 5/8?

Mateo, Green, Marsh. Three players who can play the role, one with plenty of first grade experience. No different really to keeping Morris.

Not wanting to create an argument but there is fair difference. How many games has Morris played as a first grade 5/8th and how many have the other 3 played as first grade 5/8ths between them.Morris played in a minor premiership winning side as a 5/8th. Are the others proven?

I also believe Green is a halfback and Mateo is a lock and I am not 100% sure of PJ's best position but it seems to me it was a risk for the club to do what they did WHEN they did without proven alternatives. As I said no problems with the decision just with the timing.

I sincerely hope it turns out to be a masterstroke by the club

eelandia

Juniors
The Colonel said:

I heard JT on tv last weekend say that PJ didn't like playing half, ergo 5/8 you'd think? This was after he was questioned about who'd play half for the rest of the year. I do have some doubt about his kicking game in that position, although from dummy half he's ok.

Parraren

Bench
I have a growing feeling Hagan intends to get PJ back into the halves next year. We had a sniff around for Hill and he was probably our plan A, but Hagan must have had a plan B and it quite obviously it was not John Morris.

If we end up signing a hooker I think it'll become a little clearer as to what plans Hagan has for PJ next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelandia said:
I heard JT on tv last weekend say that PJ didn't like playing half, ergo 5/8 you'd think? This was after he was questioned about who'd play half for the rest of the year. I do have some doubt about his kicking game in that position, although from dummy half he's ok.

His kicking game IMO wasn't too bad against the Knoughts on the few times he kicked. He doesn't have the strongest kicking game but then he hasn't had to use one lately.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
PJ i a better runner with the ball, hence would make a better 5/8 imo

Morris is a very good number 9, that was being adapted to 5/8

strider

Post Whore
tbh i'm not convinced PJ at 5/8 is that great an option .... its not 2002 anymore - its gonna be 2007 .... PJ has changed since then and had some injuries .... I think he's a great dummy half runner and top defender - but i'm not convinced of his 5/8 ability.

hagan must be very confident of getting a good 5/8 or that green will be good there to have not wanted morris.

Bigfella

Coach
Mickdo raises some very good points when discussing future direction.

It may be that in looking to the future Taylor is just as happy to give Jeremy Smith time in first grade if Smith looks like going with JT to the rabbits.

If at the time we let Morris go we had no firm option in mind that is a problem. Surely you don't let your current best option go with no replacement lined up? Not over the length of contract.

There must be a plan at work but TBH I can't see what it is.

Parra Guru

Coach
At the start of the season, I would have been the first one to boot Morris, but since the season's progressed, he has played quite well and in light of Riddell's attitude problem and Marsh's supposed intentions to leave as soon as he can, I would have kept JM for one of the hooker's spots.

He played well at hooker when given the opportunity! And he also really wanted to stay, so I'm sorry to see him leave.

cureme

Juniors
Given Morris is not a 'natural' 5/8, I think he has done remarkably well there and has been one of our best this year. He is also a great clubman and showed that last weekend with a 5 star effort even though he had signed with another club the week before. That said, you don't offer a bloke a 3 yr deal cause he is a 'great clubman' but I would have liked to see him stay.

Latest posts