What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton

What on earth does he need to do ? on statistics, he is the most complete backrower in the comp. Has the X-Factor, he could play three positions and be just as damaging, He has the defence needed in pressure games, has a decent workload, and he lifts the rabbitohs incredibly in attack.

If he played with a top side, I honestly think he could of played for Australia!

Give him a go FFS, he is what i think NSW needs for game three.

An extra playmaker, a kicker in general play, great offloading ability, which there was none of in game two, a great-step fend. they need to win the forward battle, and they need that something special in a creative mind because Queensland are always gunna win in the halves and the backline.

As I said in another thread, would the Likes of one of Tupou, Hoffman, Laffranchi or Simpson have the impact that Sutton has with the rabbitohs ?

Simple and easy answer of No!

Paul Hewson

Juniors
As much as I think Sutto is a great player I don't think he would be considered at this point for SOO. There are to many players in the positions that he plays infront of him. As for the utility value there is only room for one and I think Gidley has that wrapped up. If he keeps his form up for the rest of the year and improves further next year then he will be in the frame.

As much as I think Sutto is a great player I don't think he would be considered at this point for SOO. There are to many players in the positions that he plays infront of him. As for the utility value there is only room for one and I think Gidley has that wrapped up. If he keeps his form up for the rest of the year and improves further next year then he will be in the frame.

Who is ahead of him and why ?, reputation ?

because form-wise and talent wise, Sutton is alot better than most of those names that have played origin for NSW this year.

Sutton has individual brilliance, none of the NSW forwards has that.

Dave Q

Coach
Evening lads, Ive been a warrior for a week or so on hols during the bye. Ive learnt a few things.

John Sutton Age: 23, standing 190 cm tall and weighing 104 kilo's. He is a big lump of a lad.

He is a favourite at Souths and has shown significant loyalty over the years. Once thought of as the next big thing, he remains a solid player and one of my favourites too.

Johns 2008 Stats:

* Has played 12 games this year, 11 of them for the full 80 mins 1 of them for 74. He is the ultimate 80 minute player.

* Scores a try every 3 games, the NRL average is 1 in 5 games.

* Makes an average of 10.75 runs a game where we can expect him to make 9 metres per run. Both higher than the NRL average.

*He makes more than twice the number of line breaks than the average player but not as many hit ups.

*He offloads almost 5 times as much as the average NRL Player.

*He makes almost 25% more tackles per game than the average player.

* The most tackles he has made in a game was against the roosters where he made 33. His worst was 14 against the Tigers.

*He made an ample 140m against a strong Sharks defence and in the same game made 2 offloads and 4 hit ups.

* He had a stellar game for city v country.

If you wander over to the Warriors thread, Ive provided a scientific rating of sorts for their whole side ( "rate the team" ). These are based on true NRL stats. Not me talking somebody up for the hell of it.

Now using the same methodolgy,Sutto scores a +10 out of range between -20 and +20. Thats pretty good, in fact only two warriors can beat him at the moment. Theres also some scores there for selected Manly players. He's well in the mix there too.

He is getting close to being an elite player, anyway,thats what the stats say.

Bye for now.

Last edited:

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Sutton is a very, very good player.

However, I'd say Feleti Mateo would be ahead of him right now in terms of the untested guys.

The only issue with Mateo might be if he can be selected due to his previous alignment with Tonga.

Shrug. Anyway, just throwing a name out there that could be a potential stumbling block right now.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
Feleti isnt eligible.
Heard Daley talk about it on 2GB something about his paperwork wasnt in on time

Not sure exactly but he said Feleti is not available to be picked for NSW

Sutton is a very, very good player.

However, I'd say Feleti Mateo would be ahead of him right now in terms of the untested guys.

The only issue with Mateo might be if he can be selected due to his previous alignment with Tonga.

Shrug. Anyway, just throwing a name out there that could be a potential stumbling block right now.

No doubt, but Mateo is one of the only guys that is ahead of him that comprises of Natural Talent, and his attacking and versatilily that influences a team.

Dave Q

Coach
Mateo rates +12, slightly ahead of Sutto.

15 runs a game for 120 metres he out off-loads and out-tackles Sutto.

Superb.

But Sutto scores just as much and is younger.

Sutto has had more time on the feild than Mateo this year.

IMO the big games are better suited to stayers because of the higher level of intensity.

Last edited:

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Who is ahead of him and why ?, reputation ?

because form-wise and talent wise, Sutton is alot better than most of those names that have played origin for NSW this year.

Sutton has individual brilliance, none of the NSW forwards has that.

I would love nothing more than to see Sutto in a Blues Jersey. I just can't see it happening yet. As I have stated he has to keep this form up for more than just one year. As for other players that are ahead of him. You Bird, Mateo, Laffranchi, Gallen, Hoffman to name a few. You mention reputation. Well think about how a player gets that.

As you have mentioned Sutto is still only 23. What he has shown this year he could certainly lift. But let us see how he goes for the remainder of the year and into next year.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Sutton is younger than Mateo? Really? I would have thought it was the other way around, especially since this is only Mateo's second season in first grade. He did play in England though, I guess. I'll have to check on that one.

I know that Mateo was born in Sydney, so even though the paperwork got screwed up this year, I'd expect him to be eligible for NSW and Australia from 2009 onwards.

Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread. John Sutton is in sparkling form and wouldn't be out of place in any representative team, IMO. He's just in a very competitive space right now.

rabs

Staff member
putting Sutton on the bench in Origin would be a successful move by the selectors
the only thing that would worry me is a lack of confidence to get involved once he came on, when Sutton gets involved he kicks arse every time, the only thing about Sutto is sometimes the ball doesn't come his way. How many other players in the competition are super capable in both attack and defence?? The selectors dumped Hindmarsh because they wanted more creativity whilst retaining toughness - Sutton fits this to a tee! Pick him

NGR

Juniors
Evening lads, Ive been a warrior for a week or so on hols during the bye. Ive learnt a few things.

John Sutton Age: 23, standing 190 cm tall and weighing 104 kilo's. He is a big lump of a lad.

He is a favourite at Souths and has shown significant loyalty over the years. Once thought of as the next big thing, he remains a solid player and one of my favourites too.

Johns 2008 Stats:

* Has played 12 games this year, 11 of them for the full 80 mins 1 of them for 74. He is the ultimate 80 minute player.

* Scores a try every 3 games, the NRL average is 1 in 5 games.

* Makes an average of 10.75 runs a game where we can expect him to make 9 metres per run. Both higher than the NRL average.

*He makes more than twice the number of line breaks than the average player but not as many hit ups.

*He offloads almost 5 times as much as the average NRL Player.

*He makes almost 25% more tackles per game than the average player.

* The most tackles he has made in a game was against the roosters where he made 33. His worst was 14 against the Tigers.

*He made an ample 140m against a strong Sharks defence and in the same game made 2 offloads and 4 hit ups.

* He had a stellar game for city v country.

If you wander over to the Warriors thread, Ive provided a scientific rating of sorts for their whole side ( "rate the team" ). These are based on true NRL stats. Not me talking somebody up for the hell of it.

Now using the same methodolgy,Sutto scores a +10 out of range between -20 and +20. Thats pretty good, in fact only two warriors can beat him at the moment. Theres also some scores there for selected Manly players. He's well in the mix there too.

He is getting close to being an elite player, anyway,thats what the stats say.

Bye for now.
You are taking suttons stats and comparing him to average players... average players wont play SOO..

compare his stats to the best players in his positions, ie greg bird, mateo etc...

Dave Q

Coach
You are taking suttons stats and comparing him to average players... average players wont play SOO..

compare his stats to the best players in his positions, ie greg bird, mateo etc...

See post #9... Mateo is slighty in front of him.

Ive just rated Bird... he's at +12, same as Mateo.

Cooper rates a +6.

Gaz only a +2 this year.

Hodges rates a +6

K Gidley rates a +6

Anasta rates a "0"

Pommeroy rates a +4

Israel rates an +8

Heighington rates a +12, he's had a brilliant year..on paper.

Seems to me that the stats indicate that some players are in these rep squads on reputation. Of course they dont recognise individual flair etc. for example, the stats reveal that Cameron Smith is a good tackler... but he doesnt do too much else.

I like Sutto as a back, but in reality, it seems to me, he is a handy utility.

Last edited:
Sutto is held back by the team performance. He is the best player in a team running last. The team needs to be in the running for the selectors to take notice.

Creagh: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assist, 0 Try Assists)
SBW: 6 Line Breaks, 7 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
G Stewart: 1 Line Breaks, 5 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Watmough: 3 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Minichiello: 6 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assist)
Laffranchi: 4 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assist)
Crocker: 2 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Johnson: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Hoffman: 3 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Mateo: 7 Line Breaks, 9 Line Break Assists, 10 Try Assists)
Hindmarsh: 2 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assits, 2 Try Assists)
Thaiday: 1 Line Break, 3 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Luck: 0 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Heighington: 3 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Gallen: 3 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Bird: 5 Line Breaks, 3 Line Break Assists, 6 Try Assists)
Mason: 5 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists 1 Try Assist)
Sa: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assists)

Sutton: 7 line Breaks, 9 Line Break Assists, 7 Try Assists)

www.nrlstats.com

only one player has better stats than Sutton, and deserves to be, only two other players are within Kooee of Sutton and Mateo.

Whats the next excuse for anyone against Sutton playing origin ?

Dave Q

Coach
Creagh: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assist, 0 Try Assists)
SBW: 6 Line Breaks, 7 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
G Stewart: 1 Line Breaks, 5 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Watmough: 3 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Minichiello: 6 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assist)
Laffranchi: 4 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assist)
Crocker: 2 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Johnson: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Hoffman: 3 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Mateo: 7 Line Breaks, 9 Line Break Assists, 10 Try Assists)
Hindmarsh: 2 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assits, 2 Try Assists)
Thaiday: 1 Line Break, 3 Line Break Assists, 2 Try Assists)
Luck: 0 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Heighington: 3 Line Breaks, 0 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Gallen: 3 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 0 Try Assists)
Bird: 5 Line Breaks, 3 Line Break Assists, 6 Try Assists)
Mason: 5 Line Breaks, 2 Line Break Assists 1 Try Assist)
Sa: 2 Line Breaks, 1 Line Break Assists, 1 Try Assists)

Sutton: 7 line Breaks, 9 Line Break Assists, 7 Try Assists)

www.nrlstats.com

only one player has better stats than Sutton, and deserves to be, only two other players are within Kooee of Sutton and Mateo.

Whats the next excuse for anyone against Sutton playing origin ?

I agree that Sutton has a genuine case to be argued.

He is having a remarkable year.

My stats are more global, the keys can be found at the Warriors site. They are from the NRL official player stats

I take account of tries, tackles, offloads, runs, metres gaines, errors etc, 10 categories in all.

When I come home, I will assess the whole side and people can make their own interpretations.

Stats cant predict the future but they can be a useful guide.