What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns blasts "hopeless" Knights

EdLondon

Juniors
Might not have to read a real lot about the knights in the herald soon if fairfax moves it to nz.

there will just be some stories about this team called the `kneeghts` coached by `ween beenet`

eozsmiles

Bench
When exactly did The Herald turn traitor on our great club do u feel? It at least feels that way given they can't accept Wayne limits their access to the players when he feels it is warranted.. He has eased that up a fair bit. Keeble and Dillon should know any new coach takes time to build trust with journos. The comments section is bitter stuff to read.

The Herald have sponsored the Knights. They don't send their photographers to Fanny's or have a "rumours" section like Weidler or Rothfield. The Herald won't tell you who had a stink at King St from a rumour, or who broke up with their missus or has a gambling problem. But they will tell you when Gids gets a new puppy or something.
With Bennett being reserved and Tinkler f$$$ing hating Fairfax it isn't surprising that the paper has got the cold shoulder. And they probably think that after their years of ar$e licking they are the ones getting shafted. Every time Wayne says that they can't talk to player x, the journo's probably think about how many times they could've broken the Joey drugs story but didn't.

It's the number 1 game in town and people want quotes and stories on players. I'm with Wayne at the moment though. Confidence is already a problem and they don't need to be asked hard questions about contracts and coaching etc while they are doing it tough. They already got both barrels from Joey. That would've stung any club or player.

Yosh

Coach
True that.

It's like Parra, still looking for the next Sterlo.

But if we were looking for that new best player SBW goes alright. He is the Andrew Johns of forwards. At least that's what I last thought of him until he left the league.

So my influence is FINALLY spreading:)

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't expect miracles from Mullo - just a half who can pass and kick short. Being a good ball runner (when he bothers) who can boot the more than occasional 40/20 doesn't cut it for me.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I missed the game due to work, but I watched the first 20 minutes of the match last night on nrl.com.

I had obviously read all that has been said on the forum first, so I was expecting a really poor performance. What surprised me from what I read on here compared to what I saw, is how much energy we ran with the ball in the first 20 minutes. Mason and Snowden were outstanding! Both players ran onto the ball hard and used leg drive when they hit the defensive line. Edwards had a go also, but his attack was based on running quickly and using footwork, the desire to do well was there, the results weren't that great though. Costigan also started reasonably strongly.

Once the time got to the 20 minute mark, I did notice a change though. The team stopped coming up in defense. The team ran back their 10 metres, were in a good position to restrict the titans from making metres, but they simply stood there or walked off their line, time and time again.

It appeared that the game plan was to run onto the ball hard, not support the ball runner and then not worry about aiming up in defense.

After what I've read on here, I think watching 20 minutes of the game was a good effort.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Bedsy said on the news last night that they see everything at the moment as a "choice" and they know what they've got to do, they're just not doing it.

Simple things like supporting the ball carrier and line speed were two things he mentioned. He even said they know they shouldn't be running one-out but do anyway...

Big Tim

First Grade
Bedsy said on the news last night that they see everything at the moment as a "choice" and they know what they've got to do, they're just not doing it.

Simple things like supporting the ball carrier and line speed were two things he mentioned. He even said they know they shouldn't be running one-out but do anyway...

This pleases me as much as it angers me.

At least they arent being coached to NOT do those things, not that I expected they were.

IanG

Coach
I just hope that this was the kick in the balls they needed.

Never before had I seen the Knights get booed off at half time. As had been stated back in those bad years when we ran last and 2nd last because of those horror injury toll they were at least having a dig and busting their guts. The 24-14 scoreline flattered us.

I'll admit that unlike some supporters I wasn't expecting overnight success but I thought we'd be doing a damn sight better that we have. I hate to say it but Parramatta would have beaten us on Staurday Night.

Never left a game that shattered before.

Burwood

Bench
I think we're half a season behind where we should be. I was expecting this sort of football in round 1- safe, boring, predictable, low error rate, partnerships forming. I was hoping that by this stage of the season the players would be gaining confidence in the offensive/defensive structures, doing the basics right and starting to play well together.

I don't think we'll really start to click until the closing rounds when we are possibly out of the finals race and the pressure is off somewhat.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I don't expect miracles from Mullo - just a half who can pass and kick short. Being a good ball runner (when he bothers) who can boot the more than occasional 40/20 doesn't cut it for me.

I don't agree with you often chris but you've hit the nail on the head... Being our bestbplayer in a dogshit effort all around doesn't mean anything positive to me. He is a marquee player, we should expect a marquee performance comsistently, and it just hasn't happened for the last several years.

I've missed a couple of games this year, but IMO Jimmy Mac has been our best this year.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Fact is lads Mullo isn't a marquee player. I'd wager Gids, Boyd and Snowie would all be on bigger coin than him. He has unfairly carried entirely too much expectation IMO, way too much

RABK

Referee
Mullo ain't on as much as most would think. He knocked back an 80k richer offer from Parra to resign with us last contract.

Spot On

Coach

Jesus. Have a f**ken go then.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I guess its down to speculation as to what Mullo is on. I appreciate a lot of you guys have inside information (as do I for most west lakes players), but still I would be very surprised if he wasn't 1,2 or 3 in the salary stakes.

Rusty

Juniors
Mullen is certainly not our worst, and he gives it his %110 every game, I don't doubt it. But at this stage in his career you can't blame people for expecting more from him. I never expected Mullen to fill Johns' shoes because that is impossible, but I expected him to control a game and look for the most part, dangerous. He is a far to inconsistent to be dangerous. It totally shits me when I see other halves in their first year of FG dominating and steering the team around the field and actually being the difference in their side. This year there has been new changes to the team with I consider to be a good backline and we're still in the shit.

Rolla

Juniors
Rusty i can't think of too many 5/8th's bursting onto the scene dominating and steering the team around without a Halfback personally. I actually can't think of that many top 5/8's consistantly dominating on their own at all.

I would wager most of the best Halfbacks have a decent 5/8 next to them too, probably a strong pack too.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Rusty i can't think of too many 5/8th's bursting onto the scene dominating and steering the team around without a Halfback personally. I actually can't think of that many top 5/8's consistantly dominating on their own at all.

I would wager most of the best Halfbacks have a decent 5/8 next to them too, probably a strong pack too.

this ^ Mullen cops so much flack on here. I can't help but feel that it's due to people not giving enough credit to the impact a powderfuff pack has on a half.

Latest posts