What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns/Immortal

Should Johns be made an immortal if he switches codes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
When speaking of giving the immortal tag out, I believe there are very few from today's game that are deserving. I can only think of two in this years comp - Menzies and Price - deserving of such a title. Role models, terrific leaders, two of the best in their positions. Fittler would also rate but a few of his past indiscretions may cost him.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
But on Johns, no, no immortal tag, especially if he switches.

t-ba

Post Whore
Lazarus, Stuart, Meninga, Sterling-All a cut above Johns. He's got a while to go before he can surpass those blokes.

If it weren't for Super League and The way Johns got Portrayed as the ARL's Golden Child, I doubt he'd be as Huge as he is now. He'd still be regarded as one of the greatest players running around, but he wouldn't be the demi-god he is regularly portrayed as.

gaterooze

Bench
beekershark said:
Of course he should still be granted that status.

LEAGUE has lost Joey, he didn't leave league. He was left to deal with a bumbling knights managment, direct your anger at them, not the player.

You're kidding aren't you?

Then why is Johns talking so much to Union before the June 30 deadline when he can talk to OTHER LEAGUE CLUBS?

I'm sure the Bunnies would love Johns in their team, and they DEFINITELY have enough room under the cap for him. But no, that would be too much of a challenge for Johns, wouldn't it?

mets

Juniors
I believe Johns is the most complete player of all time, and the best ive seen. He has everything, the best kicking game, banana kicks torperdos and a great long kicking game. His passing game is superb which and consistantly put players into gaps. Hes got a great step, kicks goals at over 80% for the last 5 seasons. But what seperates him from other halfbacks is his great defence, he tackles like a foward. He has eveything and is the complete player.

Hes won 2 premierships for Newcastle, both when they were huge underdogs. Hes won a clive churchill medal, and 2 golden boots. Hes won 3 dally m awrds which could have been 5 had he not got suspended in 2001 and injured last year. Hes been the best player according to RLW players poll from 1998 - 2003. I think he has done enough to warrent immortal status.

People use statistics like he has only won 1 series at halfback hes actually won 2 series at halfback, but has won 2 series at hooker meaning hes more of a versatile player.

legend

Coach
Johns was not deserving of the Clive Churchill medal in 2001, the game was won on the back of Ben Kennedy's awesome first half display and nothing will ever make me think otherwise. He single handedly blew the Eels off the park.

Ozman

Juniors
An Immortal????..

Gee in my opinion he has maybe had a dozen strong games at Finals and rep level but has never dominated any game like lewis ever did..And with Gould & Co on CH9 clawing up his clacker when he even stretches out before the game," Have you seen a better stretcher Gus???"...Please...Remember which mitey little halfback DOMINATED at all levels and forced many a "GREAT" halfback to hooker at rep level..That is an Immortal in my books...Go Alfie u little Legend..CYA Joey enjoy the Port & Cubans Ol chap...

mets said:
People use statistics like he has only won 1 series at halfback hes actually won 2 series at halfback, but has won 2 series at hooker meaning hes more of a versatile player.

Incorrect.

95 - NSW lost
96 - Hooker
97 - Hooker
98 - NSW lost
99 - Drawn
00 - Benchie/Hooker
02 - Drawn
03 - Finally wins a series at halfback.

mets said:
According to my RLW in 1996 he played halfback and Toovey was Hooker

That mag is quite simply wrong. Daley & Johns were both switched out of position to accomodate Fittler & Toovey in the halves.

Im sure a Manly fan can step in, and clarify that Toovey indeed had the NSW 7 on his back in 1996. ;-)

Latest posts