What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns/Immortal

Should Johns be made an immortal if he switches codes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
syphon said:
of course i watch league you imbecile, though it's probably easier to write off opinions that contradict your own as someone who doesnt watch it.

Oh yeah, and try telling me those people on channel 9 also don't know their RL. Fact is they know a damn sight more than you ever will.

Don't lower yourself to juvenile name-calling, it illustrates your lack of class. All i've ever seen you post is league-hate with an extreme pro-AFL attitude. So I assumed since you dislike League so much, that you probably didn't watch it.

The Channel 9 team do know their stuff, especially Sterlo & Gould. But they're also extremely biased. Sure Johns has been the best player in the world at some stage in his career. Definitely not all of it. He didn't become a consistent player until about 98. So to say he's the best league player ever is a bit of a stretch. None of the 9 team are 100 years old. You also have to take into account the amount of rule changes over the years. (eg. Steve Walters is the best hooker of all time because of the introduction of the 10 metre rule)

In my honest opinion I have seen players in my own lifetime who are better than Johns. And I'd confidently put my knowledge of Rugby League up against someone who believes in media hype, and can't form his own opinions like you.

Azkatro

First Grade
This time last year, when the Immortal stuff was in fairly hot debate, a lot of people were tipping Johns to be a near certainty to be a future immortal. However it seems to me as if since then the "vibe" on him has worn off in a big way and people are realising that he's really not all that special in the grand scheme of things.

I've always felt that a massive part of his success has been Buderus at hooker. But that's probably another debate altogether.

I agree with what a lot of the other guys here are saying. There are at least a dozen players in line for Immortal status before he should even be thought about. And if RLW are serious about keeping it an extremely exclusive club, he'll never get close. There are already three halfbacks from the recent past that beat him hands down - Langer and Sterling were both absolutely special players, and Stuart was the "complete" halfback complete with kicking game long before Johns played first grade footy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
syphon said:
of course i watch league you imbecile, though it's probably easier to write off opinions that contradict your own as someone who doesnt watch it.

Oh yeah, and try telling me those people on channel 9 also don't know their RL. Fact is they know a damn sight more than you ever will.

Not much happening in the AFL this week hey Syphon??

Shouldn't you be busy working yourself into a lather over the big "blockbuster" Swans/Pies game that everyone in Sydney is talking about.... :lol:

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Seeing as he never really dominated Representative football in the way that a Lewis, Churchill or Raper did; will he even become an Immortal??.

Here Here, we are talking about the greatest ever of our game at every level.

antonius

Coach
Johns has done more than enough to damage his chances of that in the last few months weather he switches codes now or not. Personally I think his stature even here in Newcastle has plummeted in the last week or so, he could well becoming to league what Geoge Best became to Soccer in England Brilliant player, but very little respect for himself, or the people around him I am a huge Newcastle fan and I can say this he doesn't warrant it IMO, as someone else has already said, "it's not just about being good at the game, it's also about showing respect for the game that has made you what you are and given you the opotunities that you've had, it's about being a model of the game, and having some life ethics" Johns actions in the last few months have shown he lacks 95% of those qualities. My vote No weather he stays or goes.

Razor

Coach
Immortal status is debatable. The Immortals is just a PBL promotional tool - the Hall Of Fame(which has more members than the Immortals) is the official group run by the ARL. So it's really up to PBL to decide the rules.

On Entry the Hall of Fame

There should be a lot more than just ability taken into account when granting admission to the Hall Of Fame. In Hall of Fames from other sports, players have been kicked out once admitted if they did certain things. So if Johns goes, then no he shouldn't be admitted. Meninga should never be admitted for his statement "I gave years to Rugby League, and what has Rugby League ever done for me" before betraying the sport (the fact it made him rich and famous didn't enter into his head)

legend

Coach
How did Meninga betray the sport exactly? I agree his comments were wrong but he is still heavily involved with the Raiders and is devoted to Rugby League. He even beat the shit ouf of some Union nacy in a boxing match. :lol: That alone should be enough to get him in.

JW

Coach
I must ask, given the contempt he has shown for the game, his club and its fans - would he even feel proud to become an Immortal in our game, or would he just see it as an opportunity to put himself in the spotlight? Or, to ask more specifically, would he feel prouder to recieve that honour than the legends in our game who are currently waiting in line?

Cheers.

EdBurton

Juniors
For OVP -

Andrew Johns
Rep Honours
Country Origin 1995-96, 2000, 2003, 21 games for NSW 1995-2003, 18 Tests 1995-2003, World Cups 1995, 2000, Kangaroo tour 2001

beekershark

Bench
Of course he should still be granted that status.

LEAGUE has lost Joey, he didn't leave league. He was left to deal with a bumbling knights managment, direct your anger at them, not the player.

Pigskin

Juniors
syphon said:
he is the best player the game of rugby league has even seen. Dread the day when these awards are also considered on political grounds. Will make a mockery of the whole thing in the knowledge the greatest ever player was not an immortal.

I'm sorry but I can't help myself.

"syphon" you are stupid

Oink !

antonius

Coach
beekershark said:
Of course he should still be granted that status.

LEAGUE has lost Joey, he didn't leave league. He was left to deal with a bumbling knights managment, direct your anger at them, not the player.
Give it a rest, the Knights have been trying to sort Johns contract since October last year, the Matt Johns stuff is old hat and certainly wasn't bumbling on the clubs part they made a tough decission, which turned out to be the right one. While your watching Matt and Andrew Johns clown around on tommorows footy show you might consider how tough Matty is doing it, while our football club tries to sort out what's going on with his royal highness.

OVP

Coach
EdBurton said:
For OVP -

Andrew Johns
Rep Honours
Country Origin 1995-96, 2000, 2003, 21 games for NSW 1995-2003, 18 Tests 1995-2003, World Cups 1995, 2000, Kangaroo tour 2001

thanks very much Ed :)

Well i thought he played less than that so i stand corrected.

However i still dont think he should be an immortal before Freddy, Big Mal or Daley

JJ

Immortal
I don't think that Johns should be an immortal irrespective of whether or not he switches codes. Quite frankly, that's irrelevant.

The question to answer is, has he done enough in the game to rank along side the existing immortals?

The answer to that question, in my opinion, is no. While Johns is undoubtedly the best player in the game, and probably one of the greatest ever his achievements do not rank with the immortals, and even some who are not yet (or never will be) immortals. I'll speak only of relatively recent players, as these are the ones I have seen

He has not dominated at club level as the likes of Sterling, Kenny, Meninga, and Lazarus (who are not immortals, although I would argue are more deserving than Johns). Partially this has been due to injury, but there have been times when I feel he should have - e.g., semi against Roosters 2001.

At NSW level, again, he hasn't consistently been a dominant force (like Lewis) although that might be more due to selectors choosing him at hooker or on the bench.

At international level,the same is true.

While he is undoubtedly great, I think there are more deserving candidates

William Hung

Juniors
Are you guys kidding?

Andrew Johns revolutionised the game. He shaped the game we now play. He bought general play kicking up another level- changed the way teams kick off...the works.

Kick off used to jest be straight forward restarts- they are now torps, floters and all sorts of other hard to catch balls.

He also made all those around him better players, single handedly won his team two comps, and won an unprecedented 3 straight Dally M medals.

Every half back these days models their game on Johns' and most teams look to use similar tactics as those employed by Johns. I don't see how you can say he never dominated at Rep Level either- he even dominated off the bench in 2001. He is a great player he took the game to the next level- regardless of where he goes next year he should be an immortal for that reason alone. The standard of Rugby League was raised by this person- all you who say he is overrated and not an immortal are jokes.

I think the fact that he's been out for a while has him 'out of sight, out of mind' with you people. He is a great, once in a generation player.

I would rate Johns as the best player I have ever seen.

Would I rate him an Immortal....yes.

HOWEVER.....I wouldnt like to see him rated just yet. I think with things like this you need to allow time to pass to get a true understanding of how good a player really was.

JJ

Immortal
:| we can all have opinions.

And ultimately, I have no say in whether he becomes an immortal - but I think that Lazarus, Sterling and Meninga should be ahead of him. I may be the only person that thinks Lazarus is deserving, but that's my perogative.

What I do feel strongly about is that whether or not he switches codes should have no bearing, if it did that would be very petty. The question is, if he effectively retires now, has he done enough?

Southernsaint

Staff member
William Hung said:
Are you guys kidding?

Andrew Johns revolutionised the game. He shaped the game we now play. He bought general play kicking up another level- changed the way teams kick off...the works.

Kick off used to jest be straight forward restarts- they are now torps, floters and all sorts of other hard to catch balls.

Greg Brentnal was doing that in the 80's for C*nterbury with the leather ball...

Joey is an excellent player, but he ain't god.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Latest posts