What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns: 'Pressure will kill a player'

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24302838-29277,00.html

Johns: 'Pressure will kill a player'

September 05, 2008 11:57pm
Article from: AAP

RUGBY league legend Andrew Johns says it's only a matter of time before celebrity culture pushes a high-profile football player to take his own life.

Johns, who went public on his battle with bipolar disorder last year, told the Daily Telegraph constant public scrutiny was making life unbearable for many leading players.

"We'll get to the stage where someone will do serious harm to themselves," he said. "There will be things that will happen, without doubt.

"You buy a paper and go straight to the gossip pages. No one wants to know someone scored four tries last night. They want to know what so and so did after they scored four tries," he said.

Johns said the experience of former Parramatta halfback Tim Smith, who quit earlier this year after battling bipolar disorder, was an example of the pressure on players.

"Tim Smith earlier this year went through an awful time when he was diagnosed," said Johns.

"Poor bloke was copping it left, right and centre - the reasons a lot of guys leave is just the pressure of it all."

Johns, who said his enforced retirement from the sport a year ago came as a relief, said he continues to battle daily with manic depression and will probably remain on medication for the rest of his life.

hugzy

Juniors
actually they do...

u try getting up at 5am in winter everyday to go training in freezing conditions. if u can do it for 1 month straight w/o missing a day, i'll give ya a free "american indian ghost dance"

and they only earn 6 figures which is nothing compared to some other professional sportsmen who goes thru similar/less pain.

so yeah... they do have it tough

Dragon

Coach
You buy a paper and go straight to the gossip pages
No....i dont.

FFS its the commentators (which Johns is) who put pressure on the players, not the fans.

Is he blaming the fans in this article? Seriously i dont know what he is trying to say. So a player will top himself eventually. Well it hasn't happened yet, so why the f**k are we even talking about this. I mean Johns just basically planted the seed for it to happen

Says alot about him more than anyone. Imo this is just Joey telling us 'i had it so hard you guys'

For every depressed player in the league, theres probably 50 who love the lifestyle they lead. f**kin get over yourself Joey. Footy players arent the only ones with pressure in their lives.

Maybe if he kept his blab shut we wouldnt be reading this cr@p, and instead focusing on last nights results......

Last edited:
RIP to this man:

peter+jackson+footy+card.jpg

jackson.jpg

Nuff said.

Dragon

Coach
BD, think you will find that wasn't due to 'public scrutiny' but rather being sexually abused as a kid. Not what this article is about at all

OVP

Coach
BD, think you will find that wasn't due to 'public scrutiny' but rather being sexually abused as a kid. Not what this article is about at all

He was also a heroin user for many years before his death. Peter Jackson was a very troubled soul. Not exactly what the original article was about, BD.

boonboon

Juniors
boo f**king hooo Johns u winger - they have it sooo easy they earn big money to play football - everyone has a job and a lot worse to deal with in most circumstances then pamperred footballers

OVP

Coach
I felt obliged to give Jacko a shout out anyway...suicide is a muthaf**ka.

I have mega respect for PJ mate ... anyone who loved The Doors as much as him, deserves that. Plus he was a great player too. You did well mate :)

He`s got a misconception that people care about their private lives and stuff. But we don`t. It`s only journalists who do, cos they need to fill their papers with something.

PJ

First Grade
Isn't this the same guy who orchestrated a media circus around his possible defection to Union?

So he wants the attention, but only on his terms.

shane1970

Juniors
boo f**king hooo Johns u winger - they have it sooo easy they earn big money to play football - everyone has a job and a lot worse to deal with in most circumstances then pamperred footballers
Mate do you or have you ever watched league - he was a halfback not a 'winger' - :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

mave

Coach
No one is forcing these blokes to play NRL. If you can't handle the pressure f*ck off and play something else.

actually they do...

u try getting up at 5am in winter everyday to go training in freezing conditions. if u can do it for 1 month straight w/o missing a day, i'll give ya a free "american indian ghost dance"

and they only earn 6 figures which is nothing compared to some other professional sportsmen who goes thru similar/less pain.

so yeah... they do have it tough

Yeah, much harder than working 40-50 hours a week doing something you hate for 50k a year.

Mick_63

Juniors
Hasnt Johns got a book to promote.
Seriously,the free run this bloke has enjoyed is galling.
Yep great footballer etc etc,.
But he is a bit 'do as i say' isnt he.

griffo346

First Grade
This sh*ts me to no end farkin sports men earning big cash to play the game they love

FFS i know hes not a sportsmen but f**k just last week all saints actor took his own life and he isn't in the public eye as much as these sportsmen

Latest posts