What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns to play for Australia but rules out Origin

Risa

Bench
For our sake, I hope this is true!

-------

Johns available to play for Australia

March 28, 2006 - 11:24PM

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Johns-available-to-play-for-Australia/2006/03/28/1143441155202.html

Rugby league superstar Andrew Johns wants to play for Australia in the Kangaroos' Test against New Zealand in May, but says that match will be his final representative appearance.

The Newcastle Knights skipper has ruled out playing again for NSW in State Of Origin football, according to a report in News Ltd newspapers.
"If I am picked for the Test, it will be my last representative game," Johns told News Ltd.

"As much as I have loved playing Origin footy and it will hurt when the series comes around and I am not part of it, my priority is with the Knights."

Australian coach Ricky Stuart reportedly drove to Newcastle to speak to the champion halfback about playing the Kiwis.

Johns said Australia's loss to New Zealand in last year's Tri-Nations series had been a factor in his decision to make one last Test appearances.

"In the past decade or so, Origin football has probably meant more to a lot of players than Test footy. But after New Zealand beat us in the Tri-Nations that has turned around for me anyway."

Australia play New Zealand in Brisbane on May 5. Johns said the one-off game would not impact his commitment to Newcastle.

RABK

Referee
Mixed feelings i must say, i was looking forward to him leaving one last impression on the pinacle of our game but if means a greater chance for us to have a fit and firing Johns for the back end of the year then i'm more then happy with that. He has proven he's Wally's NSW equivalent for NSW, he needs a couple more premierships to add to his resume. ;-)

Alex28

Coach
We've already seen the fairytale end to Origin - what was achieved in Games 2 & 3 was amazing and a pretty right way to end that part of his career. Beat the Kiwi's one more time and that will do :)

antonius

Coach
Call me selfish (I don't care) I'm happy he's giving it away. Apart from missing club games when origin is on there is a real chance of him being injured in what are the toughest games of all, so yes I'm pleased he wont be playing Origin.

Great news for the Knights, bad news for the game.

Like Jamie, I have mixed feelings. If Johns stays fit and we win the comp this year, then I'll be declaring it the greatest decision of all time. However, it's going to be hard for Joey to sit at home or in the stands and watch Brett Kimmorley or some other inferior halfback wear the sky blue number 7 shirt that is rightfully his.

les norton

First Grade
I have mixed feelings too...I have origin tix.

But hey whats good for the club and all that.
Now i have to get a ticket to anzac test :D

Johns Magic

Referee
antonius said:
Call me selfish (I don't care) I'm happy he's giving it away. Apart from missing club games when origin is on there is a real chance of him being injured in what are the toughest games of all, so yes I'm pleased he wont be playing Origin.

You're so selfish.

But seriously, I agree.

Roy

Juniors
well i have 50/50 fellings then. Would love to see him in the sky blue once again but he will now be able to lead the team through origin, witch is good for us.Perhaps bad for the game ?

i just hope to hell kimmorley doesnt get the 7.

RABK

Referee
Reading the Tele on my way to work this morning i thought "By Christ Johns looks like a bum" One of the worst outfits i've ever seen, obviously to avoid attention.

Fordham looks like a zombie.

cram

Bench
If you read the article by Barry Toohey it all makes sense. Johns does not say it but I think last season he proved he was able to dominate Origin. He has nothing left to prove in that arena.

As far as test football goes I think he believes he has something to prove. He was not happy with his last two tests and wants to prove something to himself.

Relish each game you see this guy play because you are watching a true legend of the game who is nearing the end of his career.

Spitty

Juniors
Good on him for making a really tough decision. We only get the one bye around Origin time now, so with the likely loss of Buderas, Simpson and now possibly Thiaday to Origin duties, it really gives us an advantage coming into those games.

This decision has a lot of side effects also. It raises the profile of the Anzac test (which previously has been mis-able) and it also makes City/Country a fair dinkum Origin trial. Kimmorley and Gower will no doubt be representing Country and City respectively and the winner of that battle will likely be the new Origin number 7.

What an exciting prospect.

stevo

Juniors
les norton said:
I have mixed feelings too...I have origin tix.

But hey whats good for the club and all that.
Now i have to get a ticket to anzac test :D

i didn't bother with origin this year. Thought i'd save me money. Def getting ANZAC tix though. Do you know when they go on sale?

~bedsy~

First Grade
Alex28 said:
We've already seen the fairytale end to Origin - what was achieved in Games 2 & 3 was amazing and a pretty right way to end that part of his career.
I agree, he made a great comback last yr and as cram said he probebly feels he has done all he can for his state.

Knight76

Juniors
Personally I think its about a great move for him and the knights. From a spectator viewpoint as a knights fan, we have paid joey atleast about a million bucks over the years that he has been injured for us. Its time he took a step back, looked after his body and repayed that debt.

Latest posts