What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOHNS TO STAY IN LEAGUE

joey007

Juniors
Woo Hoo :clap: :clap:

Glad he made this decision and with out Huge Delay. Fingers Crossed he resigns with Knights

Former Australian captain Andrew Johns has decided to remain in rugby league despite rugby union interest from the NSW Waratahs.

Johns' manager John Fordham said the halfback, widely acknowledged as the world's best rugby league player, informed him of his decision.

"There has been a lot of speculation about Andrew playing rugby union for some time now but the subject came to a head on Wednesday when the NSW Rugby Union went public about wanting to approach him about changing codes," Fordham said in a statement.

"With the interest this has created, it really forced Andrew's hand into making a decision regarding rugby union.

"As a result, he considered it important to promptly address the situation so that it didn't become a long-running media issue.

"He also realised that he needs, at this stage, to narrow his future options.

"The result was his advice to me this morning that he wants to remain a rugby league player."

Johns, the Newcastle captain, suffered a season-ending knee injury in the early rounds of the NRL, making it the third season in a row he has failed to finish because of injury.

Australian rugby union team coach Eddie Jones has long been a fan of Johns, who was seen as a possible five-eighth in the 15-man code.

However, the Wallabies are well-served for five-eighths with Stephen Larkham, Elton Flatley and Matt Giteau all accomplished players.

The Waratahs saw Johns as their potential saviour in the crucial position, which has always been their weak link in the Super 12, but they would need a financial top up from the ARU to afford Johns.

The NSWRU was to have met with the Australian Rugby Union on Thursday to discuss the possibility of luring Johns to the code.

Fordham said Johns appreciated the interest of the Waratahs.

"Andrew recognises that he will soon need to make a decision on his football future," he said.

"That's why his focus in coming weeks will be devoted solely to rugby league."

Andy

First Grade
Yeah this all sounds a bit "fish in a barrel" to me.

Where'd you get this news bucko??

astrogirl

First Grade
LOL, no need to thank me. I'm quite a stick in the mud about that stuff :D

Earl, worried we'll poach Orford?

Andy

First Grade
Nah, I think Earl just loves seeing Joey on the front page of the Herald every day :lol:

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm not sure how I feel about this news yet. Would have to wait and see:

~ whether Joey plays for another NRL club;
~ if he re-signs with Newcastle, what his contract payments are; and
~ also if he re-signs with Newcastle, which players we are able to retain

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Great stuff. This is such good news. I mean take a look at union. If halligan played for union, he'd be classed in the same league as johny wilkenson.

antonius

Coach
Well that's one of his options discounted, now all the remains is another couple of weeks of He's signing with so and so, he was seen lunching with so and so, will he wont he? it's a circus.

if we pay anything more than 300k for joey ill be peed off. If joey dosnt like it he can go play for wigan, the club he has always wanted to play for :roll:

princess plj

Juniors
ok so i can sort of breathe relief- he is not going to union!
i strongly feel that he will stay with the knights- i think he wants to be a one club player....but thats my imo. i feel he wont turn his back on the club that has been his life for so long.

Alex28

Coach
i'm happy for the club to sign him for the right money - $475K per year is not the right money. they knights need to stand up to him and he needs to consider the club and people that are hanging on this decision.

There's no post-union career for Johns. He'd have to wait every 4 years for any decent coverage and the Super 12s wouldn't employ a 2 or 3 year veteran to commentate on the game. Johns knew he would never go there. Its just not worth his while. Channel 9 wouldn't ask for him back either, the backlash from League fans would be too much for them.

antonius

Coach
Turns out the true story was.. the ARU said they wouldn't kick in the money to get him because of age, and recent injuries, so it wasn't quite as first portayed "Johns has turned his back on union" It was more they turned their backs on Johns.