What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns vs Lockyer

Who Is a better Player?

• Darren Lockyer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thuganomics

Coach
There has been alot of talk in this forum latley about who is better...
My Pick is Johns, 3 Time Dally M winner, 2 time Golden Boot Winner And best player with Lewis to ever play the game.

14 day poll

budz

Juniors
I think its hard to compare when one player has been out for most of the season.

salivor

First Grade
Lockyer, I haven't seen a more graceful player. Everything he does just looks so natural.
I also wouldn't compare the two in their Dally M award showings. We all know you have a shit show of winning the thing if you don't have a number 7 on your back and Lockyer up until this year has played all his footy at fullback.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lockyer as he has dominated State of Origin more than Johns. Johns might be better at club based level because he is the no 1 player for the Knights but Lockyer does more at a state and a national level

Gooba

Juniors
johns is just magic no one can compare. Ask any referee or touch jude in the game and they will tell u how much of a freak joey is. as for lockyer most over rated player in the game. i have not seen him do anything for Qld austrralia or brisbane. Go back to fullback lockyer at least u can look good by just catching the ball.

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
johns is just magic no one can compare. Ask any referee or touch jude in the game and they will tell u how much of a freak joey is. as for lockyer most over rated player in the game. i have not seen him do anything for Qld austrralia or brisbane. Go back to fullback lockyer at least u can look good by just catching the ball.

LOL, yes I'm sure officials are the best judges of talent in our game. Ask most players, say for example the 51% that rated Lockyer the best player in the game over the 19% that voted for Johns in the RLW players poll. Or ask most fans, say for example the 47% that voted Lockyer as the best player in the game over the 21% that voted for Johns in the RLW fans poll. You may just get a better example than the one you plucked from your arse.

Lockyer hasn't done anything at Origin level? How about his amazing 2001 series or how about looking at the difference in the QLD side in games 1 and 2 this year with and without Lockyer.

Lockyer hasn't done anything at International level? Ask most if Australia would've won the ashes series last year without the amazing performances of Darren Lockyer. Ask those who gave awarded him the golden boot on the back of those performances.

Lockyer hasn't done anything at club level? Ask the immortals who awarded him the Clive Churchill medal in the 2000 Grand Final. Ask his team mates who struggle when he is injured. Ask Wayne Bennett just how much he means to the Broncos.

Go back to fullback Lockyer? Funny how in his first year at 5/8 he managed to become rated as the games best player and take over the number 6 position at both State and International level. I think he'll be happy staying just where he is.

JW

Coach
My bias would say Lockyer, but I dont usually like to get in on the "somebody v somebody" or "best player" debates.

Our game has many different positions and they all require players to approach a game in different ways.

It's like comparing, in my club, Shane Webcke to Karmichael Hunt. Both good players, but I will never compare them to one another as, for the obvious reason, I could never picture Hunt playing prop or Webcke playing fullback :lol:

Yes, Johns and Locky are both now in playmaking roles (7 and 6 respectively), but they are still hard to compare IMO. And I guess another thing is that we've only seen Joey play a handful of matches since Darren moved to 5/8.

I'll vote for Darren though, simply because he's done well since his move to 5/8 and that Joey just hasnt played much footy for what seems like an eternity.

Looking forward to seeing Lockyer/Johns playing against each other again though.

Cheers.

Earl

Coach
Lockyer all the way.

Being number 1 player in the world involves being able to stay on the paddock :p

Gooba

Juniors
What has lockyer got... any dally m of the year awards?? whos australias captain? Of coarse this years player poll will say lockyer joey only play 3 matches this year. joey at his fitest is the greatest. in 15 years time we will be remembering joey as the best player and people will be asking... Darren who? lockyer has not done anything to change our game... where all his last minute try set ups? his field goals from 40 metres out? his 50 metre goals? his banana kicks? him picking up the forwards and smashing them? I only ever see one guy do that... and thats the Great man Andrew Johns

Razor

Coach
Lockyer hasn't done anything at Origin level? How about his amazing 2001 series or how about looking at the difference in the QLD side in games 1 and 2 this year with and without Lockyer.

The 2001 season when the NSW side had at least 7 players out? Put Anasta in reserve grade and he'd look like a superstar. Put Lockyer against basically a reserve grade NSW SOO team and his performance looks better.

QLD's performance in Game 1 & 2 this year was very similar. In fact QLD probably played better in Game 1.

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
What has lockyer got... any dally m of the year awards?? whos australias captain? Of coarse this years player poll will say lockyer joey only play 3 matches this year. joey at his fitest is the greatest. in 15 years time we will be remembering joey as the best player and people will be asking... Darren who? lockyer has not done anything to change our game... where all his last minute try set ups? his field goals from 40 metres out? his 50 metre goals? his banana kicks? him picking up the forwards and smashing them? I only ever see one guy do that... and thats the Great man Andrew Johns

Has Lockyer got any Dally M's? No because he's played most of his footy at fullback, you don't have a shit show of getting the player of the year award if you don't wear a number 7 on your back.

Will we really be saying Darren who in 10 years time and idolising Joey? Not likely. We don't even think that way when we look back now. Lockyer was named at fullback in the team of the 90's, I don't remember Johns being named at halfback in that team.

You don't have a club mate.

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:

The 2001 season when the NSW side had at least 7 players out? Put Anasta in reserve grade and he'd look like a superstar. Put Lockyer against basically a reserve grade NSW SOO team and his performance looks better.

QLD's performance in Game 1 & 2 this year was very similar. In fact QLD probably played better in Game 1.

LOL, I knew you'd pop up in this discussion sooner or later ;-) .

If we want to go down that road we can say that the only origin series that Johns has truely dominated was last year and even then NSW got thrashed in the third game.

QLD's performance wasn't that different between game 1 and 2? No not that different at all, they only went from a side that only had 8 points in them against a NSW side that had come off a terrible build up to a side that had 22 points in them and a hell of a lot more attacking ability.

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
whos australias captain?

I almost let this slip. Hmm who is Australia's captain? Do you really want the answer to that question because you may not like the answer? Ok I'll tell you, currently the Australian captain is........Darren Lockyer. :lol:

Gooba

Juniors
salivor your a D*ckhead. why dont u go watch some of joeys highlights and compare it to lockyers. What has lockyer done that is so good... im still going through the archives to find a memorable moment.

JW

Coach
salivor said:
Gooba said:
whos australias captain?

I almost let this slip. Hmm who is Australia's captain? Do you really want the answer to that question because you may not like the answer? Ok I'll tell you, currently the Australian captain is........Darren Lockyer. :lol:

:lol:

Latest posts