What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns

Should Johns be allowed to play the internationals if he plays the grand final?

• Yes

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 44.8%

• Total voters

Saint 60

Juniors
Yup...he can play with who he wants to and do as he wants to...so long as hes asked.
Every Australian player playing for the country now are professionals.....Id like to know one player playing first grade for anyside that isnt playing for money. ( Just 1 )

Hes doing better than anybody else - get over it..
It aint a communist country yet. lol

eelandia

Juniors
I think at 30 or 31 yrs of age he has given the game, his state and his country enough service to be granted this one game.

Get off your anti-Joey soapboxes and put yourselves in his position. Also read Gus Gould's article in the Herald today and tell me why it is ok to give up a Kiwi jersey but not a Kangaroo one.

I suppose Brett Kenny was a traitor for retiring from rep footy when he did. He still had the ability to play for the Kangaroos / Blues but decided not to.

The way many of you are going on, you'd think Joey abandoned the troops in Gallipoli for F%$#k's sake...!!!

eelandia

Juniors
Eels Dude said:
If he was picked then it would only be because he is Joey Johns, and that shouldn't be the case. Phil Gould say he's not playing for the money, yet he's accepting 100k per game. I think Joey Johns playing the remainder of the season in the ESL would be great for rugby league over there, however exceptions should not be made just because he is our greatest player.

Comparing this to New Zealand players contracted to English clubs is a different and should not be considered a reason as to why Joey should be allowed to play.

You really believe he is getting $100k per game. You probably believe what Rebecca Wilson writes too..?? Even if it is true, isn't that what we all want - better money for our top players to keep them away from the dreaded yawnion..?? On one hand you want to stop union poaching our good players, yet on the other hand you don't want to let the players earn what they can (within the rules). It's a win /win - Joey gets a bit of loyalty money (to League) and the struggling English game gets a boost over union.

Stop your whinging and enjoy the fact the eels got up this weekend (go the eels..!!).

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I wonder what the Knights will feel if he was to suffer a Season, or even worse career ending injury?

If he wants to go and the club agrees. Then so be it. In terms of the Kangaroo tour, his selection for 2nd international match, would be no different to them selecting Smith while playing in England, despite having a valid replacement in the touring squad.

eelandia

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I wonder what the Knights will feel if he was to suffer a Season, or even worse career ending injury?

If he wants to go and the club agrees. Then so be it. In terms of the Kangaroo tour, his selection for 2nd international match, would be no different to them selecting Smith while playing in England, despite having a valid replacement in the touring squad.

V Large insurance payout.

Eels Dude

Coach
eelandia said:
You really believe he is getting $100k per game. You probably believe what Rebecca Wilson writes too..?? Even if it is true, isn't that what we all want - better money for our top players to keep them away from the dreaded yawnion..?? On one hand you want to stop union poaching our good players, yet on the other hand you don't want to let the players earn what they can (within the rules). It's a win /win - Joey gets a bit of loyalty money (to League) and the struggling English game gets a boost over union.

Stop your whinging and enjoy the fact the eels got up this weekend (go the eels..!!).

Please don't say "on one hand I want bla bla bla..." unless I actually say it. I never made a reference to union stealing our players so don't generalize. You're right in saying it's a win for Joey and a win for the game in England. However there are other issues to be considered. I have no problem with Joey playing in England for the remainder of the ESL season, however he should forfeit his right to play for Australia in the tri nations, just as any Australian player in the ESL does. I don't think it cheapens the Australian jersey like many are claiming, but it does create a bad precedent for any player who wishes to do the same thing in the future.

And go those Eels.

perverse

Referee
how many players are playing in the ESL and still have an NRL contract for another 3 years?
he's still an NRL player, lets not forget that. he's entitled to ask for an exemption if the situation arises. end of story on the objective side of the spectrum.

Mr Saab

Referee
most know i dont agree with johns if he chooses warrington over australia.
Andrew should not be allowed a "one" off to choose a club game over a test match.
Andrew Voss said it best on Roast when he commented that it will open up the opportunity for other players to do this.

aqua_duck

Coach
Look if Australia had 4 or 5 halfbacks on par with Johns than I'd say no but lets not forget that at the end of the day Australia are trying to win football games. The coach and selectors arew there to pick the best team possible. The breality is there are a few good halfbacks inthe NRl but none of them go close to Johns.