What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns

Should Johns be allowed to play the internationals if he plays the grand final?

• Yes

Votes: 58 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 44.8%

• Total voters
OK, let's just settle this debate with a poll to get a general view.

If Johns plays for Warrington in the grand final instead of playing for Australia, should he be allowed to play the rest of the internationals?

aussies1st

Staff member
It will give players the excuse to play in England and still be able to represent Aus. The aus selectors may not pick the player in england but this player could go and sue the ARL.

Razor

Coach
Well if Australia doesn't pick Johns for that reason are the Kiwis not going to pick the potentially 6-7 players who'll be in the Grand Final and not play in the first test?

Jono078

Referee
Really it will be Australia's loss, skill wise and profit wise.

And like I said, the scheduling of the Tri Nations is bad, and im suprised they didnt make AUS vs GBR on the super league grand final date :rolls:.

And Ravor makes a very good point.

Bernster

Juniors
I voted no because I have a firm belief that you are there right from the start...Or not at all.

I am sick of the fact that Joey can bend the rules just to suit himself and also thinks that everything revolves around himself. While he is in England...He can move in with his long lost brother...Shane Warne for all I care.

Another thing, The ARL has got to look at the up and commers like Scott Prince or Jonathon Thurston.

A_J_Gray

Juniors
No he shouldnt be picked just cause hes Joey. Honestly if he had played the whole year in the ESL then maybe, but the fact hes just gone over there for 6 weeks to go for the glory makes me say no. I bet they dont even make the GF though

Jono078

Referee
Bernster said:
I voted no because I have a firm belief that you are there right from the start...Or not at all.

I am sick of the fact that Joey can bend the rules just to suit himself and also thinks that everything revolves around himself. While he is in England...He can move in with his long lost brother...Shane Warne for all I care.

Another thing, The ARL has got to look at the up and commers like Scott Prince or Jonathon Thurston.

How is he bending the rules ?

He went to England to win a premiership, he never brought up the Tri Nations, and its the people who sceduled the Tri Nations fault.

And like Razor said, what about the possibility of New Zealanders playing in the grand final ? Its a muck up this year and should be scheduled better next year.

Eels Dude

Coach
If he was picked then it would only be because he is Joey Johns, and that shouldn't be the case. Phil Gould say he's not playing for the money, yet he's accepting 100k per game. I think Joey Johns playing the remainder of the season in the ESL would be great for rugby league over there, however exceptions should not be made just because he is our greatest player.

Comparing this to New Zealand players contracted to English clubs is a different and should not be considered a reason as to why Joey should be allowed to play.

Jono078

Referee
How is it different ? New Zealand will pick their best squad possible even if they are in the Grand Final, why should Australia not have to pick their best ?

Eels Dude

Coach
Because Australia until this point has not considered players playing in the NRL to test squads, why should Andrew Johns be an exception. New Zealand do not have the depth in players to pick a squad solely from the NRL and being able to compete with Australia, they rely on their English based players a lot more than Australia needs to.

Jono078

Referee
I give up on the argument, you have your opinion I have mine, I just hope Warrington dont make the Grand Final and all will be settled and then next year the Tri Nations chedulers should plan it out better.

drake

First Grade
Yes.
It's not his, or Warrington's, or Australian rugby League supporters fault that some c**k eyed f**ktard scheduled the first game of the tri nations series on the same day as the grand final where almost 1.5 of the nations are playing.

This kind of stupidity is why RL is a joke as an international sport, much to my chagrin.
Is someone afraid that if the Kiwi's playing in the ESL are allowed to play, they might win?

Razor

Coach
Because Australia until this point has not considered players playing in the NRL to test squads

I assume you mean "not playing in the NRL". Forgot about Darren Smith? And Johns IS playing in the NRL. He is this year, and will be next year.

No he shouldnt be picked just cause hes Joey. Honestly if he had played the whole year in the ESL then maybe, but the fact hes just gone over there for 6 weeks to go for the glory makes me say no. I bet they dont even make the GF though

If he'd been there the whole year, I say he shouldn't be picked. English based players should not be picked because otherwise everyone will go there. Johns is not an English based player, he's only playing after his club committments are over here, and he'll be back for his club committments next year.

If it were Lockyer or another Bronco I bet you wouldn't have a problem with it.

Funny how it comes back to the Broncos again. Must be the Broncos now running the show.

I think Lote Tuqiri, Matt Rogers and Sailor should be considered next year for the Maroons in origin. It doesn't matter if they're playing a different code, they can be picked on reputation. If it clashes with another game, that is ok, they can play whichever matches they want.

Razor

Coach
JoeysChiropractor said:
Funny how it comes back to the Broncos again. Must be the Broncos now running the show.

Is it just a coincidence that the only English BASED player ever chosen for Australia was a former Bronco? And the only English BASED player ever chosen for QLD was a former Bronco?

aussies1st

Staff member
Different code, Different State the pride in the jersey is going out the window

Eels Dude

Coach
Razor said:
I assume you mean "not playing in the NRL". Forgot about Darren Smith? And Johns IS playing in the NRL. He is this year, and will be next year.

If he'd been there the whole year, I say he shouldn't be picked. English based players should not be picked because otherwise everyone will go there. Johns is not an English based player, he's only playing after his club committments are over here, and he'll be back for his club committments next year.

If it were Lockyer or another Bronco I bet you wouldn't have a problem with it.

You're correct, my typo. Darren Smith was an exception circumstance, the squad had injuries and as he was already in England they brought him in to cover it. I think that was the wrong decision also, and Chris Anderson rightfully came under a lot of criticism for selecting him above Luke Lewis.