What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson gone for the season

Blair

Coach
It's a real shame because as far as runs home go, for next 6 weeks were pretty favourable.

v Sharks (h)
v Dragons (h)
v Panthers (a)
v Cowboys (h)
v Tigers (a)
v Bulldogs (a)

With Johnson, 4 from 6 could have been possible.

Call it third beer bravado but F*** Johnson, Meth. We had him for the last three seasons but still missed the eight. We had him last week and got outclassed and kept scoreless against a real premiership contender.

He's been hot and cold for us all season and I got thoroughly sick of thinking 'if this guy fires we'll win, but hey, damn it, he aint firing (again), and we certainly aint winning'.

We've got a wealth of talent in our squad, we should never have relied so heavily on one player carrying us because this situation (now he's gone) was always possible. If we are a proper footy club we'll rally, back eachother, reorganise, say no to those who say our finals chances are gone, and save our season.

It's a very long stretch to paraphrase Winston Churchill but...this may be our finest hour!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If they can scrape into the 8 from here and go out in the first round of finals I'll still call the season a success considering the injuries.

Diesel

Referee
The whole season has been f**ked by injury, have we had the same side for more than two weeks? Our injury toll must be as worse as Penrith's

One Warrior

Bench
Ah f**k, that's our season effectively f**ked, even if we manage to scrape into the finals we won't go any further without Johnson.

Our worst nightmare.

Looking to be positive I told the friends I watched it with (no internet though so couldn't contribute to Phil's thread) that our players have relied on Johnson for years, thus they need to stand up now and star themselves.

It didn't happen today, they were clueless, collectively stunned with the predicament they found themselves in.

However, they now know it's all up to them, they'll train this week, and play next week, with a different mindset. It might surprise us, and them.

Leadership really should of taken over to steady the ship.
Mannerings captaincy must be in question again .
Yes he is missing a lot of other leaders, TL, Manu and Hoffman for support.
Cappy had halftime to talk it out and trainers are on the field all the time to pass on messages.
A strong mentality is a big issue with the club.

jaseg

Juniors
Hah, you know, Lino might not be the worst option. Not going to happen (at least not without another player going down), but he's ok (not advocating picking him though). A game or two in NRL might convince him to stay for another year as cover...?

jaseg

Juniors
Appropriate that the Warriors were in jerseys that looked strangely like dogshit - they played like it.
They are dead set the stupidest team in the comp.
The opposition are out of bench players and they stick to hitting it up the middle. Stupid.
And who took the halfback spot? Certainly not Tui.
There goes the season.

Yeah, this. Same with last week when Ferguson could barely move - we had a few sets while he was seriously struggling yet we didn't spread the ball his way even once. No brains out there at all - Chad needed to be screaming for it.

shiznit

Coach
You guys just gotta think of the positives from here...

Gives young Tui a chance to be a top flight half.

And who knows... Tui could really make a good fist of this and it could turn out to be the best thing for the club leading up to next season.

JJ

Immortal
Call it third beer bravado but F*** Johnson, Meth. We had him for the last three seasons but still missed the eight. We had him last week and got outclassed and kept scoreless against a real premiership contender.

He's been hot and cold for us all season and I got thoroughly sick of thinking 'if this guy fires we'll win, but hey, damn it, he aint firing (again), and we certainly aint winning'.

We've got a wealth of talent in our squad, we should never have relied so heavily on one player carrying us because this situation (now he's gone) was always possible. If we are a proper footy club we'll rally, back eachother, reorganise, say no to those who say our finals chances are gone, and save our season.

Pretty much agree, hardly word-beaters with him - losing him in a game is big, for that game... season's been hanging by a thread all year, still is

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You guys just gotta think of the positives from here...

Gives young Tui a chance to be a top flight half.

And who knows... Tui could really make a good fist of this and it could turn out to be the best thing for the club leading up to next season.

I was thinking similar. I want Tui to get some halves experience this year but it was probably too much of a risk while we were hunting a top four spot. Now we don't really have an option so should put him in and tell him that he doesn't have to overplay his hand. We've got enough points in us even without SJ if we can defend and get some self belief. Luckily we've got the Sharks and Dragons next up, both at home and neither are attacking powerhouses. With the right approach they're winnable.
I've adjusted my expectations for the season now and if we finish on the fringe of the 8 (either in or out) but compete I'll be happy. It's really about forging team culture and laying s platform for next season now.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Reports coming out today Shaun has broken his ankle. Obviously not good and hopefully he's doing ok this morning. Unsure how correct I am but I've always been of the belief that a break is better than ligament injuries. That is of course he hasn't damaged the ligaments around the ankle. All things going well though, he'll be back running in 2-3 months.

Really sad about Johnson. Was really enjoying watching him play.

Best of luck to him and you blokes. Well maybe not next week but certainly after that

Blair

Coach
Really sad about Johnson. Was really enjoying watching him play.

Best of luck to him and you blokes. Well maybe not next week but certainly after that

Cheers.

I loved Gavin Miller's early TV work. Unforgettable, what a character. So long ago now though, ay.