What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan could start NRL season in reserves after rejecting Super League move

Stake Removed

First Grade
I think Dugan or Moylan might be chance to end up at Toronto yet.

They had bad loss first up, they are only carrying a 23 man squad, this was raised at preview of super league comp, another loss next weekend players like Moylan & Dugan could well get offered what they are on now or more

Craigshark

First Grade
I was a critic, but he ended up being pretty good for us last year. I don’t think he is 800k good though, so if the Roosters are keen and even if it means we have to pay a percentage, let him go.

sharkman73

Juniors
I was a critic, but he ended up being pretty good for us last year. I don’t think he is 800k good though, so if the Roosters are keen and even if it means we have to pay a percentage, let him go.

Yep agree with this.

Think about what kind of a winger you'd pay 700-800k? Possibly Semi but still a lot of money.

No one else.

chewsta

First Grade
But from all reports Duges was only getting that money if he met certain criteria, Rep games etc. None of which he did do. Not to mention the cut he took recently to help the club. So what is his actual worth on our cap?

We need experience and someone to lead the way with strong defence and carries, Xerri, ramien, Nikora, Ronnie etc are all still pretty green and look gun shy at times, especially in defence. Im for keeping Duges provided he is happy to be here and pulling in the same direction as everyone else.

ghoti

Bench
Dugan gets painted really unfairly I think, a lot of which is historical and not really his current self... I'd absolutely pay him 600-800k as a centre, and even think he can be more involved as a winner if given a Blake Ferguson type role. It pains me to see Xerri in front of him and Morris too, those two were such solid centres for us last year in a team of underperformers.

Whatever happens happens...if he's not training well that's another thing, but on actual performances (and man, if players like Xerri, Flanno etc all get the preferential advantage of the 'potential' excuse why doesn't Dugan?) I'd have him in the squad for sure, and most clubs would be mad to not want him finishing off plays at centre

snout

First Grade
Watched moneyball again the other day.

Too many of our signings are guys Brad Pitts Athletics woulda shunted.
Big money.
Little to No return.

Moyza couldnt get to first if you carried him.
Look at Ennis. Nobody wouldve signed him.
Maloney. Before he came to us he was struggling to find a new home.
Bargain buys who dont miss a game and create points.
And a premiership.

Compare those 2 to moyza and SJ.
Overpaid for farkall return.
One of them never plays while the other couldnt even kick a goal from in front for half a season when he did get on the park.

sharkman73

Juniors
Compare those 2 to moyza and SJ.
Overpaid for farkall return.
One of them never plays while the other couldnt even kick a goal from in front for half a season when he did get on the park.

Take out his shithouse effort against Canterbury of 0/3 and he kicked at 80% for the year.

But yeah, his kicking was shit for half the season.

shaggs

Coach
Johnson was broken physically when he arrived. He carried leg injuries for much of the end of his warriors career.
I expect to see a mechanically rebuilt and explosive Johnson again. 2013-14 style

sharkman73

Juniors
Johnson was broken physically when he arrived. He carried leg injuries for much of the end of his warriors career.
I expect to see a mechanically rebuilt and explosive Johnson again. 2013-14 style

Hope you're right but I don't see anything else other than some flashes of brilliance amongst some shit and some OK stuff.

No different to his career to date.

txta2

Bench
I am very sick and worried Roosters will snap up Dugan
I'm worried they haven't got a squad of 30 yet . Now that kid is retired. They must be getting desperate.
Achilles is gone, he admitted it today on Insta

Wizardman

First Grade
Dugan gets painted really unfairly I think, a lot of which is historical and not really his current self... I'd absolutely pay him 600-800k as a centre, and even think he can be more involved as a winner if given a Blake Ferguson type role. It pains me to see Xerri in front of him and Morris too, those two were such solid centres for us last year in a team of underperformers.

Whatever happens happens...if he's not training well that's another thing, but on actual performances (and man, if players like Xerri, Flanno etc all get the preferential advantage of the 'potential' excuse why doesn't Dugan?) I'd have him in the squad for sure, and most clubs would be mad to not want him finishing off plays at centre
I agree with you 100%. Injury is always the issue with him though...there will be a time his whole body will pack up. If I was assured that he could play a whole season uninjured, I'd absolutely want him at the Tigers.

Special K

Coach
Sharks player Josh Dugan could be on his way out of the club.Source: News Corp Australia
There is a major showdown looming at the Cronulla Sharks in the next 24 hours over the playing future of $900,000-a-season outside back Josh Dugan.

One of Cronulla’s highest-paid players, Dugan’s efforts over the course of the summer have been less than impressive on the training field.

It’s become an open conversation at the Sharks about how the club tries to fix the problem.

A fortnight ago there were threats about the former Test and Origin star starting the year in reserve grade with Newtown – now the Sharks are even considering trying to reach some sort of settlement for Dugan to move on.

Fox Sports has been told the Sharks have set up a meeting with Dugan’s agent Paul Sutton in the next 24 hours in a bid to try and resolve the issue.

Club powerbrokers have held numerous meetings over the course of the summer about how best to handle the situation.

Fox Sports has been told even some of Dugan’s closest allies in the Cronulla playing group have begun to lose faith in the ex-NSW and Australian star.

Dugan was signed by the Sharks at the end of 2017 by previous coach Shane Flanagan on a four-year deal until the end of 2021.

Since switching from St George Illawarra, Dugan has endured a mixed two years playing 37 NRL games and scoring 17 tries.

The latest Cronulla crisis meeting around Dugan is a sign of the club’s frustration with Dugan’s actions over the course of the last three months.

While the rest of the Sharks playing group are all on the same page about effort and commitment, there remain question marks around Dugan.

Fox Sport has been told there are some training sessions where Dugan has failed to front and then later produced doctor’s certificates. The rest of the playing group at Cronulla are all proud about supporting and representing the Sharks.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/ed0b19edc12a0d39336c1869c4656da0

Love Bomber. He has said basically buy into his program or f**k off. Dugan sooking about being on the wing, not going 100% in on training. Compare this with Fifita who loves playing All Stars... Bomber told him not to play, buy into the sharks and get his legs right because we needed him. Fifita pulled out, posted a pic of him in a sharks jersey on insta and said trust the process. He is gutted to be missing the game but he is all in on the sharks.

Everything I hear about training is about how intense it is. Love it.