What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

giboz71

First Grade
How can we "lure" anyone when your bait is McGregor!

The Sharks managed to get Ennis, Barba and Bird (and Maloney and Townsend a year later) a year after they won the spoon. And they still had the stench of the Peptide scandal and no major sponsor.

Mary is likely gone next year, and we already have Hunt in the books. Should be enough of a carrot to get good players if our management were competent.

Smirrors

Juniors
The Sharks managed to get Ennis, Barba and Bird (and Maloney and Townsend a year later) a year after they won the spoon. And they still had the stench of the Peptide scandal and no major sponsor.

The sharks made very astute purchases. They didn't appear to pay overs for any of their players like we are doing with Hunt.

Ennis was a swap for Lichaa, Barba was on the outer with Bennet and Bird, well he's on normal money as far as I remember at the time after an upgrade from leaving us. Maloney was on the outer at the Roosters as they were going after younger talent and Townsend was on normal money as well.

Combine that with a strong squad of Gallen, Fafita, Graham, Lewis and Prior in the forwards, some backs that stepped up like Holmes and experienced bench players and you have the Sharks recipe for premiership in 2016.

One or two good buys for next year and some players stepping up and we can be on the same road to success I think.

possm

Coach
The sharks made very astute purchases. They didn't appear to pay overs for any of their players like we are doing with Hunt.

Ennis was a swap for Lichaa, Barba was on the outer with Bennet and Bird, well he's on normal money as far as I remember at the time after an upgrade from leaving us. Maloney was on the outer at the Roosters as they were going after younger talent and Townsend was on normal money as well.

Combine that with a strong squad of Gallen, Fafita, Graham, Lewis and Prior in the forwards, some backs that stepped up like Holmes and experienced bench players and you have the Sharks recipe for premiership in 2016.

One or two good buys for next year and some players stepping up and we can be on the same road to success I think.
Who do you think the Dragons should buy for next season?

Morotti

Juniors
Who do you think the Dragons should buy for next season?

The question first is do we want to keep Dugan and Widdop for next year? If that is a yes then it will limit our options. I question what Widdop's value is now. But I also question whether if we got these two players into a well thought out squad with a proper coach that they will be the players we know they can be.

If Dufty excels at fullback and Field progesses in the halves then perhaps we get rid of both Dugan and Widdop and go after one marquee signing. Not sure who that is but we need someone in our team that has an x factor. Something we lack.

Father Ted

First Grade
I don't know why people believe all the crap that is written. You could be fairly sure neither Rothfield, Weirdler or anyone else from Fox has seen a contract on offer or been privy to conversations.
Extremely speculative reporting from poor quality journalists.

I'm pretty sure the player manager has done most of the talking . After all it's in his self interest.

Father Ted

First Grade
Frank , perhaps not at fullback , but with both Mattei and Lyonns now gone , he would fit quite snugly into a centre position . The point that I was attempting to make was that he , Dugan , could quite easily fill a number of positions in most clubs back lines .

I am sure that between Barrett and the cunning old Bobby Fulton , that something could be worked out . However as you have pointed out , young Tom Trbjvoic is a player with a huge future , perhaps a player such as Dugan could give him a few pointers to make that future even brighter .

Dugans problem when replacing a centre at another club is Centre's are only worth 400K these days So I guess Duges has a lot to consider. I think a fair thing would be to offer him the same money he's on.

emu62

Juniors
If Dufty excels at fullback and Field progesses in the halves then perhaps we get rid of both Dugan and Widdop and go after one marquee signing. Not sure who that is but we need someone in our team that has an x factor. Something we lack.

If Dufty excels & Field progresses as you say, we wont be lacking an X factor

giboz71

First Grade

Astute or not, the Sharks got all the right players they needed to win a comp. People keep saying that we can't lure anyone over here (unless we pay big overs) because we have Mary as coach.

That's fair enough, but I used the Sharks example as they had hit rock bottom in 2014. Spoon, Peptides scandal, Flanno was suspended, yet they still manged to get the players they needed. I know we have a clueless coach, but we can't keep using that as an excuse, clubs in a worse state than us still seem to find good players.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I heard Barrett and Cleary did not get on and hence why Baz left Manly.This pi$$ed off Gould because he saw a future in Baz at the Panthers as next of the rank for Cleary.

Back to my comment above regarding Benji,He got runner up Daly M and Saints offered him 350k. I think that was good value and would rather pay him 350k then Widdop anything above 500k. I am sure Benji is getting much less than 350k. Benji should have re-signed and hopefully Widdop would have got pi$$ed off and left.

Watch how much worse the attack gets now without Benji? We already saw that in Charity Shield.

Lethal25

Juniors
IMO if both Widdop and Dugan left I would't be unhappy. Free up cash to go after Tedesco and have Jai Field slot in at 5/8.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Hello .. was at the game today and sorry but... Dugan has resign end of story not for a million a season 800k 850k even just make sure he stays Iv got a feeling if he stays injury free this is going to be a massive year for him

mickeylane

Bench
I must admit when Dugan is in full flight u would take him over any fullback in the NRL..

Duffy is very promising and personally excites me but not sure he could've given us the go forward that Dugan bring today!

He would not be as effective at centre which leaves the question where does Dufty go to..remember next year you have Hunt who knows how to mobilize a backline so who knows what Dugan can do next year w a halfback genius like Hunt

giboz71

First Grade
I've been one calling for Duges to play centre but tactically if we're going to continue to play the power game, that suits a guy like Duges at FB.

Just means we're not really going to be finesse team. It's pretty much what we did in 2015, but we have better forwards now.

It could work.

Latest posts