What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Hannay - a reject with great attitude

mightypanther

Juniors
Hannay's day out in the park

By Josh Massoud
June 04, 2007 12:00

Article from: </IMG>

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21843940-5006066,00.html

A LESSER man would have backed out. Upon seeing his new teammates urinating in public before kick-off he would have turned away and said, "This is definitely not for me".
We now know Josh Hannay is not a lesser man, despite being treated like one this week. Less than a year after dining out on rugby league's grandest fare, he yesterday sat down to a super-sized helping of humble pie. Instead of pushing the plate away, Hannay asked for seconds.

After a decade-long NRL career featuring a grand final and four Origin appearances, the 27-year-old centre somehow found himself playing five-eighth for the Gymea Gorillas against the Engadine Dragons.

Along with former top-grade star Brett Seymour, he was banished to A-grade because Sharks coach Ricky Stuart does not believe the pair have a future at Cronulla.
By amazing coincidence they were slated to begin their new incarnation as park footballers on the same humble patch of dirt, Anzac Oval in Engadine.

But while Hannay arrived for duty, Seymour went MIA. His reason – a "calf strain" – prompted an entire afternoon's worth of winks and nudges for the lads in the outer. "I think he injured himself on the way to the game, mate," Hannay wisecracked.

Left to carry the ignominity alone, Hannay squared his shoulders and bore the load like an Olympic weightlifter who is going for gold. Warming up among a crowd containing everything from giant silver Weimaraners to snotty-nosed toddlers, Hannay wore a sheepish smile.

The other Gorillas did not let the rare opportunity slip, teasing him like an old mate. They even tossed a puppy his way for good measure. They had met him on Thursday night, when the newest Gorilla walked through the mist at Corea Road Oval to universal disbelief.

"He's been absolutely great," the Gymea coach Justin Bailey said. "His attitude was sensational. I just can't understand what the Sharks are doing putting a bloke like him, who's played Origin, in park footy."

Engadine officials said likewise about Seymour, who finally arrived to take in the bizarre proceedings from under a tree.

As the minutes to kick-off passed, Hannay's smile refused to recede.

Perhaps he sensed an unforgettable occasion was unfolding – one that might inspire trivia questions under beer bottle caps in years to come – and decided to take away happy memories.

"I'm expecting to get targeted a fair bit," Hannay said. "It should be a lot of fun."
Dressed in a jumper bereft of sponsors for the first time since he turned out for Moranbah as a 15-year-old in Queensland, Hannay joined teammates for their pre-game drills. For one front-rower, that routine included relieving his butterflies on a wooden fence.

With a school of Sharks first-graders – including Greg Bird and Paul Gallen – watching from the hill, Hannay was in the mix from the start. Engadine booted the kick-off high in his direction. As it hung in the air, the crowd – three times bigger than usual – jeered and roared for a fumble.

But on a day when Hannay rose above everything thrown in his direction, the kick was caught. Ten minutes later he was dashing away for a 60-metre try, leaving a pair of Engadine part-timers strewn on the turf like snapped ten-pins.

He played the entire first half, inspiring not only his own team of plumbers and tradies but also the other mob. Engadine five-eighth Andy Johnson was forced off with a knee injury, but begged his coach for a reprieve.

"I don't want to let Hannay get over the top of me. You've got to let me back on, coach," he pleaded.

He returned, but it was not enough to get the locals home. Conservative estimates put the score at 36-12 to the Gorillas, but, as one Engadine official noted: "We didn't have our star player."

Mobbed afterwards by the Sharks in the crowd, Hannay said: "It was really enjoyable to come back and do this.

"The NRL is always talking about grass roots and how important they are – maybe they should get a few more of us to come back and play park footy.

"It was actually good to play the game just for fun again."

mightypanther

Juniors

If Penrith were looking to buy another reject from a club, Hannay would be a great pick up.

We need a few more guys with his sort of attitiude.

The way he has dealt with Stuart treating him like dirt is great. I could have understood Stuart dropping him and Seymour to Premier League, but to drop them to park footy is humiliating and degrading and they didn't deserve that.

Hannay's attitiude to his lousy treatment should be applauded.

Big Mick

Referee
He'd be a great pick up..

I'd even try pick him up mid-season and shift Lewis to five-eight for the remainder of the year.

If Hannay gets another shot he'll certainly aim to take it with both hands. Worth a shot.

lainey

Juniors
BuBz81 said:
I have no probelm if penrith want to sign him :D

When MP told me about this yesterday you were the first person I thought of and I told her you would love him to come to Penrith. You could get your cowboys boots out again! :D

BuBz81

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
He'd be a great pick up..

I'd even try pick him up mid-season and shift Lewis to five-eight for the remainder of the year.

If Hannay gets another shot he'll certainly aim to take it with both hands. Worth a shot.

he could pick me up any day of the week :p

:lol: :whistle :hg:

Munky

Coach
Hannay is rubbish, slow and misreads in defence far to often. Only played origin due to every other option being out injured.

Lewis has no kicking game and should be kept away from the halves unless every player down to Jersey Flegg is injured.

We are only two games out of the eight and our draw isn't especially tough for the rest of the season. We should be fielding our best possible team week in and week out.

Shorty

Staff member
He's a great player,I liked him at the Cowboys.

I don't understand why Ricky Stuart is treating him like crap,but in any case he's a good player and worth a shot.

As for Seymour though hmmm.

murraymob

Coach
only problem he may want more than 150k .A figure our managment appears unable to count past.He is currently playing for a park team. They may trade Gower and Waterhouse plus a B.B.Q for him .:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Teach

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
I like Hannay, plus can kick goals.

Why don't we pick up Dykes aswell?

Dykes was reported on Channel 10 news as heading to the English Super League.

choc_soldier

Coach
Wouldn't be a bad thing to chuck him a lifeline for the rest of the season - could pick up a few first grade games. But a player of his quality won't be like this for long - he'll be snapped up.

EzyG

Juniors
murraymob said:
only problem he may want more than 150k .A figure our managment appears unable to count past.He is currently playing for a park team. They may trade Gower and Waterhouse plus a B.B.Q for him .:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: good 1 mob
I hoped Penrith would of signed Hannay when off contract with the cowboys. I haven't seen him play in a while now I know why. If he is any kind of form as when playing for the cowboys then there is no qualms here if he plays for Penrith, though we may need to throw in a webber & apron.

Couldn't give 2 hoots about Seymour

choc_soldier

Coach
murraymob said:

Quiet you! :-$

You never know - Panthers management could read this forum. Saying things like that will only give them ideas.

Kilkenny

Coach
I feel sorry for Josh Hannay and I hope he is picked up either by another NRL club and or resurrects his career in the ESL. Can't see any value in the Panthers throwing him a lifeline as we have Blair and Daniella who I would prefer get any opportunities that may become available.

Latest posts