1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Josh Papalii

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by possm, Apr 21, 2021.

1. possm

possm Coach

Canberra's Josh Papalii, dorpped for the game against Canberra seems to be out of sorts at the Raiders. Maybe it is a good time to approach is manager and get a handle on his future plans.

I'd say he is just the type of big forward we are looking for.

hewi likes this.
  2. thebigredv

thebigredv Bench

Why not, it's all about taking opportunities. May have buckley's but can only try these things. As good as we are going we need a few astute quality pick ups in the forwards and in the spine to have us up there with the best teams. Papali may not be realistic but he is the quality we are after.

3. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes First Grade

I find it hard to believe that Sticky would drop him for loss of form.....something else must be the issue

possm likes this.
  4. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

No way that the Raiders would allow him to walk I am afraid . He is a ‘ big game ‘ player and worth his weight in gold and that is what it would take to lure him away from Canberra - if he wished to leave that is .

Blood Shot Eyes and blacksafake like this.
  5. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Bench

Classic Possm.

- Propose recruiting a player who has never expressed interest in leaving their current club
    - Suggest a completely unrealistic plan to recruit said player based on salary cap numbers that don't add up.
    - Attack recruitment when they don't get it done, when it was never a possibility in the first place.

Papalii is under contract with Canberra until the end of 2024. End thread.

6. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

All a storm in a tea cup IMO.

Whilst Sticky is not my favourite coach he is certainly not a dummy and he is preparing for the next 4 games which will all be very tough.

He gets an opportunity to freshen up big Josh by starting him from the bench and at the same time gets the chance to put some much needed miles into the legs of James and Harawira-Naera & Horsburgh who are yet to play a game this year and are very important for the Raiders campaign.

Sticky is making sure he has lots to choose from as niggling injuries start to impact on teams.

7. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

Not the first time either that Papalii has been relegated to the bench. Stuart knows how to get the best out of him, he's making a point that the Raiders have plenty of good forwards and no-one gets a walk up start.

Won't be long before Papa's running over opposition forwards again and it won't be in the Red V.

8. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Most likely against the Red V:weary:

This Year? and Gareth67 like this.
  9. Crush

Crush First Grade

He’s starting off the bench, hardly been dropped.

Gareth67 and redv13 like this.
  10. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Wishful thinking Possum. I cannot see Raiders letting this guy go. THey are not stupid like Saints that let Frizzell leave the club.

hewi, Gareth67 and redv13 like this.
  11. Shaun_Timmins

Shaun_Timmins Juniors

Beat me to it.

Gareth67 likes this.
  12. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

The Canberra pack have been rotating starters for several years. And Josh is the leader of that pack. This isn’t the first time he has started off the bench, it’s happened even when he was in career best form.

Could be something to it, but I wouldn’t read much into it. Certainly wouldn’t be jumping to conclusions that this might make him available to be headhunted.

blacksafake and redv13 like this.
  13. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Did he ever play for the Broncos ?

[​IMG]

14. dragon thomo

dragon thomo Juniors

Canberra will not let him go, also his price tag would be to much.
    I thought he looked a bit over weight the other day on the highlights.

15. Maddragon99

Maddragon99 Juniors

Nice rumour Possm. Even if there was something to it it’s a no thanks from me. The Moose signing along with Merrin’s retirement has completely changed our pack. We look a lot tougher now in the middle.

The verdict in JdB’s trail is around a week away let’s see what happens there before we go signing anyone else.

Besides we still need a utility to cover for McCullough.

16. BLM01

BLM01 First Grade

No. Too expensive. We won’t get him anyway he will stay at the Raiders
    It’s that mentality that’s wrong with the game someone gets dropped for form issues snd then gotta find another first grade gig somewhere else :tired_face:

Inisai Toga likes this.
  17. BLM01

BLM01 First Grade

QLD.. Close enough

18. Jersey No 14

Jersey No 14 Juniors

No More QLD-lers

19. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

You're right It's not the first time he's benched a forward. I think it's a plan by Stuart in managing his forwards. A lot depends on the opposition at the time.

20. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

I can’t remember when I watched it, or the show. But a couple of years ago they were talking about the Canberra pack, and how they considered themselves a unit with Josh as their leader. Different forwards would put their hand up to start to challenge themselves, and Josh would take a step back to shore up the side coming in off the bench. Just a differentiation from looking at themselves as starters or bench players. They acknowledged that the pack had a role throughout the game.

Gareth67, TruSaint and blacksafake like this.