What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JRo

hitman82

Bench
http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/league/279109/league-ropati-signs-new-warriors-deal
Jerome Ropati will extend his Warriors career into a 12th season after signing a new one-year contract with the club.
The 28-year-old centre made his Warriors debut in 2003 but injuries restricted him to just 15 games over the past three seasons.

The club still see him in their plans and offered him a one-year contract, which was signed last week. It's likely to be on reduced terms from his last one, given his run of injuries which included two knee reconstructions.

"I can understand why the club would commit to only one year and the reality is, if he returns to form and plays a good part in the season, we will probably be sitting down and looking to extend that," Ropati's agent Bruce Sharrock said. "If it doesn't work out that way, we will look at alternatives and life after footy which is a reality for any player.

"He's 28 and this is going to be his first full off-season in two years and he still believes he has good football left in him. He's been playing catchup now for two years through injury, always rehabbing.

"Anyone who has had those injuries will tell you while medically you are cleared to go six or nine months after it can take a lot of time before you are back to where you were. Jerome is feeling the best he has in two years and is just excited about getting an off-season."

Sharrock cited the example of former Warriors centre Brent Tate, who needed three knee reconstructions in five years. The 31-year-old contemplated retirement but remained in the game and is now in the UK with the Australian side for the World Cup.

Ropati wants to be a one-club player and didn't have any other options on the table. He decided about three months ago he wanted to continue playing and has talked in the past about wanting to repay the club after showing faith in him.

He will battle for a starting spot in the centres next season with the likes of Dane Nielsen, Konrad Hurrell, Ngani Laumape and Ben Henry.

It's likely he would have retired if the Warriors had opted against re-signing him, although they have talked about wanting to keep him at the club in some off-field capacity once his playing days are over.

Ropati has played 142 NRL games, which puts him 10th on the all-time list for the Warriors - Stacey Jones leads with 261 - and 11 tests for the Kiwis.

Good news! He will be on a reduced cost contract, likely coming heavily under the veteran salary cap exemption.
Adds skill and nous when fit (without needing the cynical comments about him rarely being fit) but more importantly, valuable input for off field tuition for our youngsters and representing our club in the media and public.
Very happy Ropati is staying for another year and I wish him well with his fitness.

Meth

Staff member
http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/league/279109/league-ropati-signs-new-warriors-deal

Good news! He will be on a reduced cost contract, likely coming heavily under the veteran salary cap exemption.
Adds skill and nous when fit (without needing the cynical comments about him rarely being fit) but more importantly, valuable input for off field tuition for our youngsters and representing our club in the media and public.
Very happy Ropati is staying for another year and I wish him well with his fitness.

Why is that so cynical?

2013- 4 games (though admittedly he could have played more if selected)
2012- 8 games
2011- 3 games

15 games in 3 years.

If his value is off-field, sign him to an off-field role

hitman82

Bench
Why is that so cynical?

2013- 4 games (though admittedly he could have played more if selected)
2012- 8 games
2011- 3 games

15 games in 3 years.

If his value is off-field, sign him to an off-field role

I was being dry...

In addition to off-field value (which is a big asset, and likely he will move into a role once he decides it's time to quit playing).

We have ample room in the cap regardless of Veteran Cap - which would cover Ropati's salary anyway.
We're light in the centres, he covers a range of positions and has experience.
For the reduced salary mentioned in the article, I doubt we could have picked up any other injury prone centre / winger / fullbacks with Ropati's level of experience.

Re-signing him on previous salary would have been stupid.
Re-signing on el-cheapo salary, likely discounted by Vet Cap, on one year contract, using space we otherwise wouldn't be spending... logic.

Simple

Meth

Staff member
I was being dry...

In addition to off-field value (which is a big asset, and likely he will move into a role once he decides it's time to quit playing).

We have ample room in the cap regardless of Veteran Cap - which would cover Ropati's salary anyway.
We're light in the centres, he covers a range of positions and has experience.
For the reduced salary mentioned in the article, I doubt we could have picked up any other injury prone centre / winger / fullbacks with Ropati's level of experience.

Re-signing him on previous salary would have been stupid.
Re-signing on el-cheapo salary, likely discounted by Vet Cap, on one year contract, using space we otherwise wouldn't be spending... logic.

Simple

Yeah ok.

I don't mind if we have signed him, as you say, to a deal that is not burdensome. I get concerned when Elliot starts talking as if he's a preferred option at centre though. I've even heard Elliot talk about him as an option at five eighth. Surely we've moved on from thinking of him as anything more than a last resort.

Meth

Staff member
Well thats surprising, seriously though, this can only be good, the team needs Jro's experience and even if he doesn't play many games he will be invaluable of the field at little cost.

People keep saying this. Why? Why is having Ropati in the playing squad so invaluable? I remember hearing Konrad Hurrell (I think) talk about how Ropati was working with him on his defense- I nearly died.

One Warrior

Bench
People keep saying this. Why? Why is having Ropati in the playing squad so invaluable? I remember hearing Konrad Hurrell (I think) talk about how Ropati was working with him on his defense- I nearly died.

Because he has the right attitude, unlike some others.

beefstew

Juniors
Fully fit he'd still be the best center at the club. Hurrell would have more promise, but he's still very raw.

beefstew

Juniors

If he could defend inside the big dummy Vatuvei for all those games, and not have that side of the field be known as the place to go for free points, he must have done something right. I agree he's been stood up terribly on defense in some of his comeback games through lack of pace and agility, but fully fit, pace and agility aren't a problem for Ropati.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
A 'veteran', at aged 28?

Indeed. The way people talk about Ropati, you'd think he was 35 and he'd never been any good. The guy hasn't played regularly since he was 25 (2010).

I agree that we have every reason to be concerned that he's not up to it anymore, as can happen with any player who has bad injury problems. However, it amazes me how many people go on about how Jerome is an old duffer, should retire etc. The last few years should have been his prime if not for injuries, I think the bloke is entitled to try and re-establish himself. He might even see himself as having plenty of years left? Look at Anthony Minichiello.

Rebel

First Grade
Ive never been a big fan of Jbro, but he will be cheap, we have the dollars to spend and we need a bit of depth in the outside backs.

As long as he is low down on the peaking order, I'm fine with having this depth signing.