What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary update: Barrett

Nickeel

Juniors
The NRL has granted St George Illawarra an extension until 3pm this afternoon as to how they will plead in regards to skipper Trent Barrett's grade 5 striking charge.

Barrett is facing a possible eight week suspension for his hit on Newcastle winger Brian Carney during the Dragon's 38-12 win over the Knights on Friday night at EnergyAustralia Stadium. The ban will be reduced to only six games if Barrett accepts the early guilty plea, but the suspension will be increased to eight games if the Dragons unsuccessfully fight the charge at the NRL judiciary tomorrow night.
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=10784

Why?

Nick

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd guess an extension was requested to give them time to consider their options. Most players that have had a big suspension facing them have been given the same leniency. Can't say there would be too many but maybe they are chasing a downgrade and are gathering evidence.

Kornstar

Coach
I'll tell you what, if they give him a downgrade or he gets off completely then i think they certainly have no credibility!!!!!

Nickeel

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I'd guess an extension was requested to give them time to consider their options. Most players that have had a big suspension facing them have been given the same leniency. Can't say there would be too many but maybe they are chasing a downgrade and are gathering evidence.

I fail to see what they could come up with.

When I heard he had been charged on the radio yesterday afternoon, I was surprised - "I don't remember any incident."

Watching Fox Sports news later on, my reaction was along the lines of "He's gooorrrrrnnne." Pretty clear-cut, I would have thought. Oh well, they haven't got much to lose in contesting.

Nick

yy_cheng

Coach
trentbarretthit_narrowweb__300x355,0.jpg

Looked pretty bad to me.

Freak2

Juniors
To be fair his headline suggests he wasn't looking at the point of contact and there is no hint of a swinging arm. It did get missed by all officials and media.

No malice in it for mine.

Clumsy and high - He should get a downgrade I believe!! Let's hope he at least gets the 1 week off though!!

strider

Post Whore
what I CANNOT believe is that it was not reported during the game

Carney was knocked out - lost the ball - play stopped while he was attended to - the bloody ref awarded a scrum to St George cos he dropped the ball - umm yeah, he was in disneyland!

What the f**k was the video ref doing? ... there was a guy on the ground, very groggy - surely he would have seen replays ... why didn't he tell the ref there was an issue?

ffs - this video ref must have been on the whacky tabbaccy that night :roll:

James_Hardie

Juniors
Freak2 said:
To be fair his headline suggests he wasn't looking at the point of contact and there is no hint of a swinging arm. It did get missed by all officials and media.

No malice in it for mine.

Clumsy and high - He should get a downgrade I believe!! Let's hope he at least gets the 1 week off though!!

Not looking is reckless in my opinion, not clumsy. Sight Adrian Morley as an example. He is as reckless as they come.

And if your arm starts tucked into your body and escapes a little, then an accident can be suggested. But he leaves the ground with his arm cocked and away from his body. Thats deliberate.

mickdo

Coach
I have to say, on that angle it really reminds me of PJ's hit on Barrett last year, with the forearms raised up. Of course, PJ made contact with the chest/shoulder first, and then there was only slight contact (if any) with Barrett's head, giving PJ a minimal charge.

Given that this one made full contact, I would have thought 3-4 weeks would be about right for it, and it sounds like that was what he would have got without the loading for priors...

Suitman

Post Whore
That picture looks awful for one reason. He has launched himself at the player.
His head is turned as that is a natural human instinct to protect yourself.

It may not have been deliberate as that is very hard to prove, but it is certainly RECKLESS.

He's gorrrnnneeee.

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach
OK I'm posting my thoughts in here too.

What a disappointing act, especially from the team captain!

I used to have respect for Barrett (even after the Marsh incident last year) but he has just displayed his lack of responsibility and commitment to the Dragons in 2006.

This is such a stupid thing for him to do, especially with Matty Head already missing through injury.

I think the Saints fans deserve a public apology, what a twit.