What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Just saw it on replay from a distance, no close up angle. Gets up with his arms around him but I am sure there has been better vision that the judiciary have seen.

I'd really like to see better vision. I mean if it was by a player at the Roosters there'd be a lot more made of it all over social media. Meanwhile we are about to lose our damaging winger for a total of more than a third of the season. Not saying it isn't deserved but can we get a better angle?
Just watched it as I missed it during the game.

First, his arms are up so it seems debatable as to whether this is a shoulder charge at all.

But regardless, this was never the intention of the rule. This is the second charge for Rava for shoulders aimed at the waist. The rule was brought in - and rightly so in my opinion - because a high shoulder charge aimed at the shoulder of the ball carrier contains far too much risk of going wrong and causing injury.

Given the head area is now better policed/protected by other rule interpretations (depending on the team/ref/game situation/marketing/wind direction etc) surely this rule also needs revisiting.

The only risk of injury in this tackle was Whitehead being winded.

Dorsai

Juniors
Again this is an example of the blatant targeting of teams and players. As mentioned, Munster kicks players and gets off. Intentional or not, its a kick. The first young kid that goes out and kicks an opponent in lower grades and says well my hero munster does it basically kills any argument against him getting time on the sideline.

Rava, yes some of his tackles have been a little suspect. He has paid for those. But now any tackle he makes is scrutinised and referred. In fact I think its to the point the panels have a list of teams to continually target.

There was not one tackle that any Dragons player has made in recent weeks and been fined or suspended that has not been let off by the judiciary on the "special" teams.

If the club does not fight this one they have no gonads.

Gareth67

First Grade

Looking at that image , although not conclusive , it appears that Rav has done nothing wrong whatsoever . He has tackle the man around his hips and not his head or anywhere near it .

What truly annoys me ( as others have said ) is that he will be too damn scared to go anywhere near his opponents in future for fear of being charged .

Is this truly what the NRL wants ? One of the games best ball and all defensive players wiped out because the Dragons have become the leagues whipping boys .

Can only agree with other comments in regards to our club finding some courage and to make a stand against the charge - both for Ravalawa and the team itself .

Perhaps if they done so , they would find that the Dragon players would give more wholehearted performances on the field , knowing that their club has their back .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
What’s happening with Big Nelson’s charge?

Should have been sent off for mine but of course no one is 100% willing to take Bellyache on.

Whats pusses me off no end is the fact that Alofa-Solomanda or whatever his damn name is , was himself recently suspended for 2 weeks for a head high yet his punishment is only 2 weeks .

His second offense in a number of weeks yet he will receive a similar suspension as before , whereas Ravalawa will be going for at the very least 3 - where in the name of f##k is the consistency or fairness .

Frankenstein from the Storm goes for 2 head high tackles whereas Rav goes for the hips ? Bluudy mongrels the judiciary , pets of that jockey running the NRL .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

JUDICIARY

Ravalawa facing ban​

Author NRL.com Timestamp Sun 20 Jun 2021, 11:41 AM

Share on social media​

Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa are both facing multi-week suspensions following a review of Saturday's matches.
Both only attracted grade one charges, but loading for previous offences have bumped up their sanctions.
Ravalawa is facing 3-4 weeks on the sidelines for a shoulder charge. The two prior similar offences he has over the last two years have doubled his penalty.

Asofa-Solomona, who has four guilty findings within the last two years, is looking at a two-week ban for a dangerous contact charge. If not for the prior offences, the Storm giant would only have been looking at a fine.
Both players have until 12pm on Monday to enter pleas.
Two players from Saturday's matches are also facing fines.
Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warriors) and Lachlan Fitzgibbon (Knights) are both facing grade one careless high tackle charges.
Roosters prop Siosiua Taukeiaho is facing a fine for a grade one careless high tackle after being sin-binned in Friday's loss to Penrith.

Pangai candid about his future

Taukeiaho will receive a $1700 fine for an early guilty plea, or could risk a $2250 fine if he unsuccessfully challenges the charge at the judiciary.
Tevita Pangai jnr's week has gone from bad to worse with the Brisbane forward facing a four-match ban after being charged for a crusher tackle.
Pangai, who was told by the Broncos during the week that he was free to leave at the end of the season despite being under contract until the end of 2022, was charged with a grade-one offence by the match review committee.
The incident in question - a tackle on Cameron Murray - occurred in the 26th minute of Brisbane's 46-0 trouncing at the hands of South Sydney on Thursday night at Suncorp Stadium.
Due to four prior offences, he faces three games out if he submits an early guilty plea or an extra week if he unsuccessfully challenges the charge at the judiciary.
Broncos teammate Payne Haas - who could have missed playing for NSW in Origin II if banned - has not been charged after he was placed on report for two incidents.

The first was a high shot on Murray in the first half, followed by a crusher on Mark Nicholls in the 62nd minute.
Pangai, in an interview with Channel 9 after the game, said the Broncos "got me in on my day off and told me that I'm free to look elsewhere".
"Players have got to be held accountable for the results we've been tossing up. If that's me then I have to look elsewhere," he said.

NameLachlan Fitzgibbon
ClubKnights
Time Minute of Match34th
Charge/IncidentHigh tackle - Careless
Charge Grade1
7yrs incident free discount?No
Base penalty$1500
Prior Similar Offences in last 2 years (50% loading)1
Prior Non-Similar Offences in last 2 years (20% loading)0
Carry-over pointsN/A
Early plea points$1700
Guilty at panel points$2250
Misconduct on whom?Kodi Nikorima

NameBen Murdoch-Masila
ClubWarriors
Time Minute of Match79th
Charge/IncidentHigh tackle - Careless
Charge Grade1
Base penalty$1500
Carry-over pointsN/A
Early plea points$1700
Misconduct on whom?Hymel Hunt

NameMikaele Ravalawa
ClubDragons
Time Minute of Match77th
Charge/IncidentShoulder charge
Charge Grade1
Base penalty200
Prior Similar Offences in last 2 years (50% loading)2
Carry-over points77
Early plea points377
Guilty at panel points477
Misconduct on whom?Elliott Whitehead

NameNelson Asofa-Solomona
ClubStorm
Time Minute of Match65th
Charge/IncidentDangerous contact - Head/neck
Charge Grade1
Base penalty100
Prior Similar Offences in last 2 years (50% loading)0
Prior Non-Similar Offences in last 2 years (20% loading)4
Carry-over points70
Early plea points205
Guilty at panel points250
Misconduct on whom?Joe Ofahengaue

NameSiosiua Taukeiaho
ClubRoosters
Time Minute of Match23rd
Charge/IncidentHigh tackle - careless
Charge Grade1
Base penalty$1500
Carry-over pointsN/A
Early plea points$1700
Misconduct on whom?Nathan Cleary

NameTevita Pangai jnr
ClubBroncos
Time Minute of Match26th
Charge/IncidentCrusher tackle
Charge Grade1
Base penalty200
Prior Non-Similar Offences in last 2 years (20% loading)3
Carry-over points0
Early plea points315
Guilty at panel points420
Misconduct on whom?Cameron Murray

Beanies will be available from Lowes Australia stores, selected IGA stores and online from the MHF website markhughesfoundation.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/06/20/ravalawa-facing-ban/

getsmarty

Immortal
I don’t believe there should even be a penalty if the player is falling. As Cleary was. A defender can’t change their target in a split second. So in my opinion he should get off. But the fact he’s a Rooster? The irony is beautiful.

Agree...the issue is the inconsistency....Rava to get 3 - 4 weeks for that tackle...Munster strikes out with his leg...no suspension..Kaufusi hits Norman flush in the Head...no suspension...Crichton hits one of our players high...again no suspension....Which one of our players gets the benefit of the doubt ???

NONE

jak

Bench
Looking at that image , although not conclusive , it appears that Rav has done nothing wrong whatsoever . He has tackle the man around his hips and not his head or anywhere near it .

What truly annoys me ( as others have said ) is that he will be too damn scared to go anywhere near his opponents in future for fear of being charged .

Is this truly what the NRL wants ? One of the games best ball and all defensive players wiped out because the Dragons have become the leagues whipping boys .

Can only agree with other comments in regards to our club finding some courage and to make a stand against the charge - both for Ravalawa and the team itself .

Perhaps if they done so , they would find that the Dragon players would give more wholehearted performances on the field , knowing that their club has their bac
craig smith 1999 they got rid of him

boardlumps62

Juniors

Perhaps if they done so , they would find that the Dragon players would give more wholehearted performances on the field , knowing that their club has their back .
Not sure but there were some frustrated players in that lose to Bulldogs last week after all those penalties gave Dogs momentum. Might have something to do with our performance. Yes fight the charge these idiots have no idea what a good tackle is.

redVbull

Juniors
Rava’s arms have a wrapping motion to complete the tackle, that statement is per judiciary speak, the club should fight it.
Agreed. Seems a technique thing for Rava, to put the shoulder into the tackle and then bring his arm around. This isn't the style of shoulder charge that the NRL are targeting. He has no case to answer, Dragons must stand up and fight it.

Latest posts