What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*****July 1st NEWS*****

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Wiki in Super demand
July 1, 2004

NEW Zealand captain Ruben Wiki is the subject of a bidding war between powerful English Super League clubs Wigan and St Helens for next season.

Wiki is understood to be weighing up deals in excess of $1 million to finish his playing career in the north of England.

The possible loss of Wiki means Canberra have already made a move to lure fellow Kiwi Test forward David Kidwell to the national capital from Melbourne.

Wiki, 31, will meet his manager Jim Banaghan today to discuss the Wigan offer, with fellow Super League club StHelens also in the race to sign him.

Sydney Roosters centre Ryan Cross rejected offers from rugby union to stay in the NRL, agreeing to a two-year deal.

The Roosters are to confirm they will release problem centre Justin Hodges to the Broncos at the end of this season.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Kiwis skipper Ruben Wiki is set to spark a tug of war between the Warriors and Wigan. He has had a lucrative offer from Wigan but the Warriors had to wait until today to bid because of anti-tampering rules. Centre Joel Monaghan is expected to attract interest from the Roosters, Manly, Wests Tigers, Parramatta and the Bulldogs. The Raiders have offered both $750,000 over three years. Winger Michael Robertson is considering an offer from the club, and halfback Todd Carney has re-signed until 2008.

Edwahu

Bench
Bird is better then Kidwell and will only get better. I would be happy if we got him.

Anonymous

Juniors
I suppose I could cope with Bird.

Aside from one brain explosion, he's young and he has decent passing/kicking skills and is a fair organiser.

I wonder when we'll here news on Monnas...

thickos

First Grade
Bird is incredibly over-rated! No way should we be interested in him!

Come on RUBEN :clap:

Come on JOEL :clap:

Come on ROBBO :clap:

azza

Juniors
Raiders re-sign rookie Carney
Rugby league By Peter Fitzgerald
Thursday, 1 July 2004

The future success of the Canberra Raiders gained a major boost yesterday with one star confirming his loyalty to the club as another declared he doesn't want to leave.

Teenage sensation Todd Carney agreed to terms on a three-year extension to his contract which didn't expire until the end of next year, dedicating himself to the Raiders until the end of 2008.

Moments later, centre Joel Monaghan confirmed he wanted nothing more than to remain in Canberra for the next phase of his National Rugby League career.

Carney, 18, re-signed with the club yesterday, becoming the youngest player to commit to the Raiders for a four-year period.

The Goulburn youngster was approached by the club over a fortnight ago forcing his manager, David Riolo, to make a trip to Canberra last week specifically to discuss terms with the club.

While yesterday's announcement came as no surprise, coach Matt Elliott was nevertheless struggling to hide his excitment.

"I've commented many times about how much respect I have for Todd as a player and have also indicated that our recruitment of halves has been based largely around him," he said.

"It's not something we would regularly do with such a young player - sign them for such a long period - but the quality of Todd's talent really demanded we did."

Monaghan, on the other, is still yet to re-sign with the Raiders, but yesterday gave the strongest indication yet that he would be with the side for the next few years.

The club's leading try-scorer this year and last admitted he would be prepared to accept less money in Canberra if that's what it would take for him to be able to remain with the Raiders.

Monaghan has been linked with five other NRL clubs, but hasn't been able to field offers as the Raiders refused to give him permission to discuss his future elsewhere before the competition's anti-tampering deadline.

That deadline, however, ended at midnight.

"I sat down and had a good think about everything and am pleased to say [my manager and I] are having a meeting with the Raiders [today]," he said. "I would take less to play here. It's not all about money but an enjoyable future.

"I've been in Canberra for 22 years - I couldn't just turn my back on it."

While Monaghan has over 50 matches and 170 points to his name at the top level, Carney has less than one full game of first grade experience behind him.

But Elliott and the Raiders' committee view the boom teenager as the future of the club.

It was only four months ago he was lining up in the SG Ball Cup (under 18s) competition.

He was then rushed into the club's Premier League side before receiving a shock call-up in the first-grade squad on a full-time basis.

At 18 years and 17 days, Carney became the fourth youngest player - behind Todd Payten, Laurie Daley and Brett Finch - to don the Green Machine jersey for a first-grade encounter when he debuted against the Bulldogs in Gosford a fortnight ago.

He then travelled to Brisbane with the side to play the Broncos last week and has again been named on the bench for Saturday night's home clash with Wests Tigers.

Elliott admitted he had never intended on blooding Carney as early as he did.

"Todd's debut in first grade came at a time before both he and I had expected," he said.

"It's been an interesting debut process against quality opposition but he's acquitted himself very well and I'm obviously very, very optimistic [about his future]."

woodgers

Bench
We are about to find out how truthful Joel is aren't we.

Great news on Carney (or 'chilli con' as the Raiders Army dubbed him). Management should have done the same with Joel years ago.

jed

First Grade
Kudos on "chilli con", guys. My vote for nickname of the year. :lol:

Joel's told me I have nothing to worry about, I am not overly worried.

legend

Coach
You are a trusting man Jed. I admire that. If Joel leaves, I'm coming after you! :lol:

thickos

First Grade
'Chilli Con' Carney - now that is a banner straight from heaven! :lol: Super nickname guys. :clap:

Awesome that Joel came out and publicly said that. But the proof will be in the pudding in a few days.

skeepe

Immortal
woodgers said:
Management should have done the same with Joel years ago.

I don't know about years ago. At the start of last year he was unfit and overweight. I can't see the Raiders wanting to sign up an unfit, overweight centre for 4 or 5 years.

That said, they perhaps should have made a move to secure his signature sometime last year, instead of waiting until now.

thickos

First Grade
Maybe we should sign this guy... 'powerful runner with good size and trusted defence, plays centre/stand off/loose forward'

James%20Evans1.jpg

thoughts??? ;-)

Anonymous

Juniors
Shut up Thickos stop reminding us of what we let go....

Damn I miss Evo...More so when you consider if we had held on to him Bulgarelli would still be in Reggies....

thickos

First Grade
Yeah I miss Evo too. Solid player and one of the nicest guys you would meet as well. He is carving it over there by all reports.

Maroon aint your colour Jimmy! :cry: