What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 2 D-day

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh its not like there isnt a general dislike and distrust of the East coast by the parochial west at all lol

@Centy Coast has been talking about the bears making a lot of concessions

apparently they aren’t even asking for a minority shareholding in the bid which I personally don’t believe

The fact Cummins hasn’t been spoken too but the bears have been kept in the loop makes me feel the bears are in a strong position
They should just call themselves "Bears" and ignore Cumins altogether.

taipan

Referee
PR got the sh*ts ( colour me surprised)
when the Reds were flicked after a couple of years ,yet he is so clueless as to not understand the impact of the Bears being flicked after decades of existence.Throw in the Rabbits.
Enter the South Melbourne Ducks who were struggling for support in Sydney.Did these flicked rl clubs' fans ,kids and grandkids follow other rl clubs ?
Nothing to worry about they all jumped to the Tigers, Roosters ,Manly yeah right didn't show in the crowds
The main beneficiary was the Ducks ,they admitted the SL war and the demise of rl clubs helped them no end.
The game is first and foremost tribalistic.
An area of est 1m inhabitants has no representation. An NRL team based in Perth with the Bear's brand, kills two birds Perth gets a team , Nth Sydney gets back a team they can follow(throw in Sydney TV ratings).
OK it's not perfect but IMO better than a joint venture between existing clubs.

Pippen94

First Grade
PR got the sh*ts ( colour me surprised)
when the Reds were flicked after a couple of years ,yet he is so clueless as to not understand the impact of the Bears being flicked after decades of existence.Throw in the Rabbits.
Enter the South Melbourne Ducks who were struggling for support in Sydney.Did these flicked rl clubs' fans ,kids and grandkids follow other rl clubs ?
Nothing to worry about they all jumped to the Tigers, Roosters ,Manly yeah right didn't show in the crowds
The main beneficiary was the Ducks ,they admitted the SL war and the demise of rl clubs helped them no end.
The game is first and foremost tribalistic.
An area of est 1m inhabitants has no representation. An NRL team based in Perth with the Bear's brand, kills two birds Perth gets a team , Nth Sydney gets back a team they can follow(throw in Sydney TV ratings).
OK it's not perfect but IMO better than a joint venture between existing clubs.

Yep, bear association is a blessing. Vlandys is banking on Perth being too proud to take he up on the offer.

docbrown

Coach
It's a good point mate. The goodwill this will create in Sydney will be amazing. The away crowds and TV ratings (which would normally be shit for an out of state team) will be solid. They have the Manly rivalry built in.

For the WA side of things, healing the wounds from the Reds' demise and building pathways and participation back stronger than ever before.

For the NRL, goodwill, ratings, taking on the challenge of our second not heartland club.

It's really a win all around. Hopefully no premiership matches at North Sydney Oval, we need 12 games in Perth to grow the game there
Yep. The thing is if you do the draw right, you can play 12 games in Perth and then have another team give up 1 home game (a team that plays at a shared ground - like the SFS or Stadium Australia - who can give up a home game and have it replaced with a reciprocal away game at the same venue) so the Bears can play at North Sydney Oval. That way the Perth allocation of games is unaffected.

The NRL want to expand but they're also looking at it from a risk aversion point of view. A new Perth franchise is more risky than a Perth Bears franchise. I suspect they have some kind of data set pretty much confirming that.

MugaB

Coach
I am as happy with the bears returning as for png and nz2 to come in

I will actually watch their games now

and again they go from zero value to tv to being a valuable addition to the nrl
Addition and advancement in expansion, it's all that matters

Bukowski

Juniors
Yep. The thing is if you do the draw right, you can play 12 games in Perth and then have another team give up 1 home game (a team that plays at a shared ground - like the SFS or Stadium Australia - who can give up a home game and have it replaced with a reciprocal away game at the same venue) so the Bears can play at North Sydney Oval. That way the Perth allocation of games is unaffected.

The NRL want to expand but they're also looking at it from a risk aversion point of view. A new Perth franchise is more risky than a Perth Bears franchise. I suspect they have some kind of data set pretty much confirming that.
Why would a club give up a home game to play at NSO? it only holds 10k these days.

docbrown

Coach
Why would a club give up a home game to play at NSO? it only holds 10k these days.
The NRL controls the draw. As Sydney clubs move to sharing centralised grounds, you'll have teams playing 15-16 games a season at the SFS. If the NRL wants to play 12 games in Perth and a game at NSO then they can shift the draw from the centralised ground games. It all depends if the NRL sees value in keep 12 Perth games and a NSO game.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Perth should be team 18 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the NRL will be negotiating the next tv deal pretty soon., where Perth could come in either 2027 or 2028. Having a team in a new metro market could help drive up the value during discussions with Nine, Fox, Ten whoever.

Secondly, PNG can be team 19, and possibly bring them in at 2030. A PNG team in the NRL is more challenging and probably requires more time to work out on a number of issues on and off the field.

Example, if a PNG team is going to be based in Australia, then they should locate either in Brisbane or Sydney. Won't need to use a plane for some away games. If they are situated in Cairns, they will have to travel every week.

PNG is going to be a massive challenge for the NRL. More logically, the NRL should go with Perth, and then later on, NZ 2 and Brisbane 3.
They will have to push Wayne Bennett around in a wheel chair by then lol

Bukowski

Juniors
The NRL controls the draw. As Sydney clubs move to sharing centralised grounds, you'll have teams playing 15-16 games a season at the SFS. If the NRL wants to play 12 games in Perth and a game at NSO then they can shift the draw from the centralised ground games. It all depends if the NRL sees value in keep 12 Perth games and a NSO game.
And a club gets 1 less home game? A sydney club? I don't see the chance of that. Justin Pascoe would have agreed but he's not coming back.