What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 2 D-day

Vlad59

Juniors
After Brisbane 2 coming in, Perth is the biggest no brainer. You can see the potential and I believe we as a game would have learnt a lot from the Storm experience (i.e. market yourself as the team for all Perth and don't wait 25 years to get a local pathway system in place).

I think the NRL need to be smart too. Make the demand for a stadium upgrade. They may get a full rebuild, they may get a partial rebuild but you HAVE to at least put it on the table to a State Govt that is currently listening.
WA gov might fix the stadium if they get no bears?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It isn't anti Perth. You clown

PNG, NZ 2 will have problems too. It is how to limit the risk so the game can expand correctly.

Perth market especially for FTA won't be attractive due to timeslots. So how can that bid appeal to NSW/QLD to get them to watch.

That is what it comes down to, if the WA Govt is onboard they will ensure it gets enough local
And that's what the Bears really bring to this. Eyeballs (albeit in Sydney) and bums on seats for away games.

I have no doubt that we can built a great little niche in Perth, just like we have in Melbourne, and that is the primary concern adding a Perth team obviously. But partnering with the Bears is a nice little value-add.

We've all seen how good the Storms ratings are nationally. Does it matter that those ratings are bolstered by their popularity in QLD? No. The Perth Bears will experience something similar (slightly smaller scale) and probably eventually outrate the other local Perth football teams nationally (let's not forget that the Eagles and Dockers' ratings aren't crash hot on a national level).

Wb1234

Referee
I’m a fan of a Perth team provided

1. bears logo colours and one game at nso
2. Perth red is banned from attending games

Bukowski

Juniors
After Brisbane 2 coming in, Perth is the biggest no brainer. You can see the potential and I believe we as a game would have learnt a lot from the Storm experience (i.e. market yourself as the team for all Perth and don't wait 25 years to get a local pathway system in place).

I think the NRL need to be smart too. Make the demand for a stadium upgrade. They may get a full rebuild, they may get a partial rebuild but you HAVE to at least put it on the table to a State Govt that is currently listening.
The state govt were the one who approached the NRL so the NRL have the immediate advantage. They should get what they want within reason

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The state govt were the one who approached the NRL so the NRL have the immediate advantage. They should get what they want within reason
Yep I think so. It would be moronic to not put it on them to build a Perth Commbank as a requirement of entry. It would suit the team for decades to come and is pretty much our one chance to make such a demand. I do worry that we won't ask though.

Vlad59

Juniors
Yep I think so. It would be moronic to not put it on them to build a Perth Commbank as a requirement of entry. It would suit the team for decades to come and is pretty much our one chance to make such a demand. I do worry that we won't ask though.
You know the fumblers have played the ultimate con when league fans rave about cricket grounds being great for our footy. We’ve seen it on our forum for a few years. We want and need a decent rectangular ground in Perth. Old mate over there wets his pants over their oval. Talk about hypocrisy hey?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You know the fumblers have played the ultimate con when league fans rave about cricket grounds being great for our footy. We’ve seen it on our forum for a few years. We want and need a decent rectangular ground in Perth. Old mate over there wets his pants over their oval. Talk about hypocrisy hey?
Yeah mate, it's not hard to sell to the WA public either...

Regular use from Glory, Force and now a new NRL team plus more potential NRL content like internationals, All Stars etc...

docbrown

Coach
The nrl controls the draw but clubs decide where they play. I mean bloody hell the sharks even played finals matches at their dump of a ground and the nrl controls the finals.

I don't see the small suburban clubs taking any games to the sfs now that they are financed so well from the club grant.

If it didn't happen whilst they were cash strapped in the past, after the sfs was rebuilt or in the sharks case when they can only use 60% of their below par ground, then i don't see a reason they suddenly decide to do it now.

If anything it was going in the right direction over 10 years ago, we had 4 clubs utilising homebush and members got reciprocal rights to away games. We don't even have that now (only 2 sths dogs games) and at a time when memberships have grown and could have maximised attendances.

Just a shame that homebush is such a sub par stadium, we could have built an attendance culture there with arguably the 4 biggest sydney clubs.
Reciprocal memberships at centralised stadiums are the future and as the NRL's wealth grows I wouldn't be surprised if they use that financial clout to encourage it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the rest of it is correct. I’m not sure it matters how many times Cumins have meet with the WA gov.

Something seems odd that the WA gov have been meeting with ARLC & Bears without bringing in the Cumins group that they’re also meeting with (based off public knowledge)
Theres been nothing to suggest the Perth bid hasnt been in conversations with the ARLC. Be it through the NRLWA who are a subsidary of the NRL or directly.

Going from Cumins comments its clear they have been working with the WA Govt and have been asked to let the WA govt take the lead in negotiations. I'll be amazed if the perth bid are not involved in an eventual club. Who else is going to run it? NS?

Bukowski

Juniors
Vlandys wont be shy asking. There's plenty of room near optus, across the road from Belmont Racetrack. New housing development going through, it would make a great precinct

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah mate, it's not hard to sell to the WA public either...

Regular use from Glory, Force and now a new NRL team plus more potential NRL content like internationals, All Stars etc...
They wont build a new stadium after investing so much in HBF. And they dont need to. We need a new west stand and a roof over the south stand and we are set for another couple of decades.

Optus is a glorious stadium, it is stunning inside and out and real gem for the city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys wont be shy asking. There's plenty of room near optus, across the road from Belmont Racetrack. New housing development going through, it would make a great precinct
Better still! Wont happen though. They stuffed that decision when they spent $150mill on HBF.
new stadium site burswood.jpg

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They wont build a new stadium after investing so much in HBF. And they dont need to. We need a new west stand and a roof over the south stand and we are set for another couple of decades.

Optus is a glorious stadium, it is stunning inside and out and real gem for the city.
The point I was making though is that we have to ask. Shoot for the starts and if you don't make it you'll still end up on the moon and all that...

Optus is great for the fumblers but not for us, we need to start building up more quality rectangular stadia around the country

Iamback

Coach
And that's what the Bears really bring to this. Eyeballs (albeit in Sydney) and bums on seats for away games.

I have no doubt that we can built a great little niche in Perth, just like we have in Melbourne, and that is the primary concern adding a Perth team obviously. But partnering with the Bears is a nice little value-add.

We've all seen how good the Storms ratings are nationally. Does it matter that those ratings are bolstered by their popularity in QLD? No. The Perth Bears will experience something similar (slightly smaller scale) and probably eventually outrate the other local Perth football teams nationally (let's not forget that the Eagles and Dockers' ratings aren't crash hot on a national level).

Melbourne has been boosted by the support they get from QLD. No reason Perth can't get to that type of thing.

The timezone for away games hurts local viewers, So any boost is a good thing particularly game v Canberra etc

Latest posts