What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 2007 - signings and departures

parra pete

Referee
Remember the name TANE PUKI..A Kiwi, the closest thing I've seen to Matt Bowen.
I wrote to Rocket Reddy earlier in the year about him but never got a reply.

THE SOUTHLAND TIMES

By LOGAN SAVORY

Tane Puki is certainly at the smaller end of the scale when it comes to size on the rugby field but New Zealand under-19 coach Kieran Crowley doesn't believe it's a major problem.

Puki was part of the New Zealand team that recently took part in the under-19 World Cup in Dubai.

New Zealand was halted at the final hurdle, losing to Australia 17-13 in the final of the tournament, despite Southland's Puki turning in an outstanding second-half display as a replacement at fullback.

Crowley, a former All Black fullback, believed Puki showed enough at the tournament to suggest he can progress up the ranks.

"I was certainly happy with Tane's progress both as a player and a person off the field. He was a big part of our team environment," Crowley said.

"He had some good patches of play and some not so good ones but he did show enough that he can develop from that."

Crowley admitted Puki's small size, at just 70kg, was a disadvantage but he believed the Southland fullback could overcome it.

'It (the World Cup) made me think that I might play rugby now.' Tane Puki

"He is small but I'm sure the Southland system will do what they can to help with that.

"He has a big left-foot step, which is his big advantage, but he also knows he needs to work out other ways to beat players. Guys at the next level will work that out," Crowley said.

Puki was selected in the New Zealand team to play at the World Cup despite not originally being included in the trial squads.

Puki, who has also starred at junior rugby league ranks, was a late inclusion in the trial squads after turning in an eye-opening performance playing for Southland at the national sevens tournament in Queenstown in January.

The 19-year-old told The Southland Times yesterday he was still weighing up whether he would continue with rugby or follow a career in league in Australia but hinted rugby was now the likely option.

"It (the World Cup) made me think that I might play rugby now," the quietly spoken Puki said.

Puki's focus has now switched to Southland club rugby where he will line up for the Marist premier side, with his first outing against Star at Rugby Park Stadium tomorrow night.

Jack Afamasaga Signed with Manly:

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=39&newsid=1172

2007 Squad, Signings and Trial Matches

23/10/2006

By Manly Sea Eagles

2007 SQUAD
The much anticipated 2007 Squad will be announced by Coach Des Hasler in early November when the team returns from a well earned break ready to begin training for next season.

It is likely that Tri-Nations players Brent Kite, Steve Matai and newcomer Jamie Lyon will not resume training until the new year. Lyon who flew into the country last week join his Australian team mates almost immediately. The Sea Eagles are also proud to announce the signings of Glenn Hall (Newtown Jets) and Jack Afamasaga (Parramatta Eels).

Hall a Front rower scooped the major awards at his clubs recent awards night including the Players' Player and Best & Fairest award, as well as the prestigious Fred Daly Memorial Shield.

TRIAL MATCHES
The Sea Eagles will have two trial matches in the lead up to Season 2007. In a move that will please our Queensland supporters both trial matches will be played in the Sunshine State, just a week apart. Exact dates and times are yet to be confirmed.

Travel packages will be released in the coming months once dates and times have been confirmed. The trials present an excellent opportunity for fans to take an interstate holiday or Queensland Road Trip. STAY TUNED!

Tentative Trial Dates
24 February – Manly v Storm – Sunshine Coast
3 March – Manly v Cowboys – Cairns

yy_cheng

Coach
TO be honest, I know he hasn't shown much since his NRL debut but I wished he'd stay. I think he had Feleti's problems. Get his attitude right and he could be heaps better

Stagger eel

Staff member
I honestly don't think Jack is going to develop into a better player than waht he is at the moment, he certainly hasn't gone to the right club to better his game that's for sure.

Perry Haddock

Juniors
As if you will get Justin Poore thats just silly, don't you know he has a fan club at the dragons???

Parra Guru said:
Do your best, leaving out current unsigned players we will probably lose, and players who could be realistic signings...

Here's my team

1. Hayne
2. J Williams
3. B Smith
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Morris/Scott Hill
7. T Smith
13. Robinson
12. Steve Simpson
11. Hindmarsh
10. Justin Poore
9. Riddell
8. Cayless

14. PJ Marsh
15. Moimoi
16. Taia/Wagon
17. Tsoulos

Perry Haddock

Juniors
If you took out the current Parra players and replaced them with Rugby League players that would be a start:lol: hahaha I thought of that one all by myself

Parra Guru said:
I think we can lure one or two big names, especially with the players already here. As if a chance to play in the forwards with Hindmarsh isn't a big drawcard.

Would you guys care to name your dream-ish team?

Perry Haddock

Juniors
Hey can you make me a picture, I suck at that and I'm hardly going to have any credibility here unless I have a cool picture with guys with mullets or chick with racks or something......... thankyou Parra Guru you have been most helpful

strider

Post Whore
am I really pissed or did this thread change to a different subject and shrink to 4 posts and then switch back? ... I'll swear it did ... weird sh*t I tell ya

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
am I really pissed or did this thread change to a different subject and shrink to 4 posts and then switch back? ... I'll swear it did ... weird sh*t I tell ya

What are you on about?