What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Development and Reward for Clubs

broncos2010

Juniors
I was sad to hear on the weekend when Don Furner come out and said that the raiders are thinking of cutting junior development and just buy players instead like most of the bigger clubs are these days.
Since the raiders have always had a good junior development program it would be sad to see this go out the window not just at the raiders but other good junior development clubs like Panthers as well, because the NRL is not rewarding the clubs that bring through their own juniors all the way to first grade.

Raiders are pretty upset that they are just developing players like Milford and co for years for only then for the big clubs coming down and taking them away,Milford is a prime example he was at the raiders since he was 16, raiders made him who he is and now he is just gone like that and raiders don't get a cent for it.

I think the main offenders in this buying instead of making your own players are clubs like the Roosters and Buldogs and recently Sharks and Eels.

I think junior development is very important for the future of the game, be a bit of a shame if all clubs started cutting funds on junior development because there is no reward.

oikee

Juniors
Mate i have said all along that Canberra should just be buying talent, not trying to import talent from logan or wherever they find their stocks.
They have a few areas where they bring their own juniors from, but mostly they have scouts or are aligned to another heartland area, as in Logan.

This will also stop them from having to go through the junior nonsense they do at the moment. Every time they find a kid he either wants to go home to the big citiy or move to another club offering more.

The easy way for canberra is to buy talent, like the old days, Meninga, Belcher, Walters and etc.

The Titans should own Logan, and the Titans need to start tapping into the Kiwi and Polynesian player pool in these areas. There team looks like the old white Australia policy team.

I also think that where the Titnas are at the moment, and the amount of Kiwis moving to the Gold coast areas, this club should sell half of the club to Wellington and become a duel city team to grow the club. The AFL has done this with the Hawks and the Tassie capital.
Rugby league now needs to be smart and expand by not adding extra teams, but by doubling the fan base and bringing in new areas through expansion of clubs who continue to struggle. The Sharks to share with Adelaide next.
Manly with the Sunshine coast.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
The top youngsters will still get developed, whether it's by Canberra or another club.

If they don't want areas like Logan & Goulburn there will be clubs lining up, just give them the word Don.

I was sad to hear on the weekend when Don Furner come out and said that the raiders are thinking of cutting junior development and just buy players instead like most of the bigger clubs are these days.
Since the raiders have always had a good junior development program it would be sad to see this go out the window not just at the raiders but other good junior development clubs like Panthers as well, because the NRL is not rewarding the clubs that bring through their own juniors all the way to first grade.

Raiders are pretty upset that they are just developing players like Milford and co for years for only then for the big clubs coming down and taking them away,Milford is a prime example he was at the raiders since he was 16, raiders made him who he is and now he is just gone like that and raiders don't get a cent for it.

I think the main offenders in this buying instead of making your own players are clubs like the Roosters and Buldogs and recently Sharks and Eels.

I think junior development is very important for the future of the game, be a bit of a shame if all clubs started cutting funds on junior development because there is no reward.

You totally and utterly lost me when mentioning the Eels as being one of the main offenders.

No. No. No. No ...

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
The top youngsters will still get developed, whether it's by Canberra or another club.

If they don't want areas like Logan & Goulburn there will be clubs lining up, just give them the word Don.

Yep. Roosters would kill for first shot at the Riverina kids. And while Milfords departure has stung, the logan partnership has also brought us Pappali and the Lees.

Be stupid to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

blaza88z

Coach
I am sure he wouldn't cut the ties with junior development clubs, it's more a shot towards the NRL in the wake of them losing their brightest up and coming spark

it's been said before though, Milford didn't leave because of lack of funds

nick87

Coach

Or maybe those kids will be developed by AFL, given they are the one's devoting MASSIVE amounts of resources to the area, whilst our ARLC leaves the Canberra Raiders to try and fight off the war chest of the AFL on their own...

Our development officers in the Riverina are being out numbered 5-1, minimum, the Raiders are being out gunned by the AFL war chest... and the ARLC are seemingly doing nothing about it.

your club went out and bought your 6,7 & 9.. I hope you realize that

Have you looked at the rest of our squad???

Have you noticed the amount of our juniors playing for other clubs???

Have you noticed how every single other team buys players???

blaza88z

Coach
you're deluded if you think Parramatta hasn't been one of the big players on the player market in the last 12-18 months

nick87

Coach
Yep. Roosters would kill for first shot at the Riverina kids. And while Milfords departure has stung, the logan partnership has also brought us Pappali and the Lees.

Be stupid to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You say that as if Rugby League is the only code
A-league will have a Canberra team eventually. The AFL is invading the Riverina with a war chest of funds and man power, Union still holds the power in the private schools

The roosters arent going to get first shot at the Riverina kids if the Raiders stop. The AFL will, Soccer will, Union will and the likes of the roosters, will get the scraps.

By the way, the OP mentioned the Eels were one of the main offenders of buying players and NOT developing juniors .... just have a look at our squad, then have a look at every other teams squads and just notice the amount of Eels juniors.

RWB

Bench
you're deluded if you think Parramatta hasn't been one of the big players on the player market in the last 12-18 months

Any worse than the Broncos?

Prince
Lowrie
Milford
Vidot
Barba
Kennedy

I wouldn't say Parra has been any more productive than the average NRL club.

How many of those Eels juniors were world beaters when they left the club please

Ridiculous point.

We develop juniors.
Other teams poach them.

We buy players to complement our juniors.

We are NOT one of the 'buy players and not develop juniors' type of clubs as the OP mentioned. That is absolutely absurd to suggest ..

Latest posts