What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just move him to the second row.

Fitz

Juniors
Over the last few days I have read people suggesting the following players should at some stage in games move to second row:

-Tahu
-Grothe
-Inu
-Reddy
-Robson
-M Keating

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Why is the forums generic solution to every selection problem just "move him to second row"

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Over the last few days I have read people suggesting the following players should at some stage in games move to second row:

-Tahu
-Grothe
-Inu
-Reddy
-Robson
-M Keating

Why is the forums generic solution to every selection problem just "move him to second row"

I think the reason for this is we have lots of backs and a shortage of forwards.

Fitz

Juniors
Well, Matt Keating is solid, but he`s slow. Robson is solid, but he`s slow. I really don`t see that having two slow hookers is a good idea. That`s why I can see no value in Robson as 14. However, having one solid hooker and one dynamic hooker (like we did last year) works a treat. That`s why I was surprised that Kris Keating didn`t go straight to hooker when he came on. I think now that Shackleton is gone, I`d have K.Keating at 14, bring him on sooner (into the hooker role) and move Matt Keating into the second row. I dunno, I think it`s a no-brainer, but then, I`m not a first grade coach.

Reddy in for Shack, possibly to the back row.

Either which way, this isn't a perfect situation. Three into two will not do. We can't have Kris Keating, Mortimer and Robson sharing time at half and 5/8 and consider ourselves premiership material. Pick a half and a 5/8 and let them play there for the whole 80 minutes. Give them the benefit of continuity.

We need a reserve hooker or we need to tell M Keating to play there for 80 minutes.

I actually kind of think that Robson wouldn't be a bad backrower. He's strong enough and his defence is worth 12 points every game. Put Robson to lock? Feleti to 2nd row? Or do we have too many cooks? We now need another gun forward after losing Shackleton for the year.

I actually dont mind the idea of Robson in the second row. Not at lock, but on the right side of the field. Not as a long term prospect but as a stop gap measure. Skillful, has the defencive grit and some speed. Wouldnt ever put him there as part of a game plan, but if we lost a back rower mid match, id consider it if the game was free flowing.

ok so i might get shut down for this idea but with shack looking like he wont play again this year how about inu takes his bench spot and he can be brought on for one of the forwards with tahu moving into lock and been givin free reign around the park that way he can get the ball in his hands as much as possible and he can pick his moments to attack. inu would slot straight into left centre.

or we can just put oake or horo on the bench just a thought imagine hayne and tahu with free reign, add to the mix mateo and its a pretty exciting side.

As stated by noyd. A lot of people seem to think Grothe would be great coming off the bench as a backrower... but fail to consider the fact that if he's making 20 + tackles a game he won't have the energy or firepower for his trademark charges.

Its just ridiculous!

Eels Dude

Coach
Its just ridiculous!

Did you even read my post you stupid idiot? I was condemning such an idea. I'll post it for you again with the with THE REST of it bolded. Don't use me again to backup your points if you're not going to bother reading my post in full.

As stated by noyd. A lot of people seem to think Grothe would be great coming off the bench as a backrower... but fail to consider the fact that if he's making 20 + tackles a game he won't have the energy or firepower for his trademark charges.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fitz was a good second rower come prop forward, or was it the other way around in the 70s ?

Chop

Juniors
I think D Anderson would be a much more effective coach if he did it from the second row.

Parra

Referee
Fitz, I think your "KK is too small" was completely wrong. Either a piss-take or idiocy.

But in this case you are spot on. And each suggestion you have used as an example is as wrong as you were about KK.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reddy to Wing, Burt to fullback, Hayne to lock to replace Shackleton, Mateo to the bench. Hayne is big enough ha ha ha

Only joking !!!!

Fitz

Juniors
Fitz, I think your "KK is too small" was completely wrong. Either a piss-take or idiocy.

But in this case you are spot on. And each suggestion you have used as an example is as wrong as you were about KK.

Mark my words. Keating will spend an extended time out of the squad. Either he will be dropped or due to his small stature he could be injured. Touch wood hope the second doesnt happen

Last edited:

salvy71

Juniors
Mark my words. Keating will spend an extended time out of the squad. Either he will be dropped or due to his small stature he could be injured. Touch wood hope the second doesnt happen

Once he gets a few more games under his belt he'll be tough to keep out of the starting halfback position or possibly at dummy half IMO.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Kris Keating - Height 177 cm, weight 83kg's
Daniel Mortimer - Height 174 cm, weight 79 kg's
Jeff Robson - Height 175 cm, weight 88kg's

http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=232&team=Eels&kris-keating
http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=1594&team=Eels&daniel-mortimer
http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=253&team=Eels&jeff-robson

Kris Keating is taller then both and weighs more then Daniel Mortimer.

Stagger eel

Staff member

-Tahu
-Grothe
-Inu
-Reddy
-Robson
-M Keating

I guess it's contagious hey dickhead??

Grothe should be the one to move into the pack

lol..

Latest posts