What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaden's Blood Day

TooheysNew

Coach
Kaden's Blood Day
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13548

Written by: Coby Delaney (Dilmah)
April 27th, 2007 08:39 AM

[z]2147[/z]Organ and blood donation is not a topic that most people think about very often. However, for others, it is something that crosses their mind every day.

Kaden, my younger brother, was killed one year ago today when he lost control on loose gravel while driving my car, and rolled into an embankment. He died in Nepean Hospital as a result of severe head injuries.

Kaden had marked on his drivers license that he would like to donate his organs should he be in a position to do so. Because his organs were undamaged by the accident, he was able to donate. Kaden donated his heart, liver, both lungs, both kidneys and his pancreas to people who needed them, and in doing so, saved five lives.

Please, think about Kaden’s gift over the next week. Think about the gift of life he gave to other people. People he had never met. Think about organ donation. Hopefully, most people will never have the opportunity to donate their organs, but think, if you were in that position, wouldn’t you want to give new life to someone in need. You don’t need your organs in heaven, leave them on earth for someone who does.

Talk to your family, discuss organ donation with them. Tell them that you would like to help other people. Organ donation can’t ever bring back your loved ones, but it can help other people stay with theirs. Please, don’t sit on your hands and think it won’t ever be an issue you need to deal with – one day it might be.

To honour Kaden’s memory, and commemorate his life, my family is holding a blood donation drive on the 27th of this month. My dad, Greg, will be making his 100th blood donation on the day, and my brother Jace, my girlfriend Alena, and I will be donating as well. I would greatly appreciate anyone being able to take the time to donate blood themselves over the next few days. You can save up to three lives with one donation.

Take a friend, take a family member or go as a group. Make it a regular thing. You can donate up to four times a year – you can save lives, and it only takes an hour of your time.

Give the Red Cross Blood Service a call on 13 14 95 to make an appointment.

Remember Kaden.

http://www.kadendelaney.com.au

AdamT

Juniors
A truly sad story but strangely enough with a happy ending for the five other lives that his death saved.

I had a 17 y.o cousin who died in an accident less than a week after getting his license. That was over 20 years ago and organ donation was relatively rare. Unfortunately most kids at 17 think they are 10 foot tall and bullet proof - Andrew loved speed and was an accomplished motor bike rider from age 10 but one small mistake which cost him his life.

Corby i hope your story alerts all forum readers to both the dangers of young people being behind the wheel of a car and also to the lives that can be saved through organ donation.

Thanks for sharing your albeit painful experience with us all.