What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Rod

Bench
I would agree we don't need a full rebuild, it's more like targeting key positions for improvement while moving on the deadwood.

Yeah. We are over-paying Jacko, but we were over-paying Klemmer worse.

The sad thing is every other “bottom dweller” team has something to look forward to next year. They are all improving. Some like the Tigers should take a huge leap. Others are obviously improving as a good coach gets them playing their way (Titans, Dragons) or have a good coach arriving (Souths).

Even the Eels have the excitement of a new coach, although are also in roster hell.

I see another spoon incoming.

Gee you're more optimistic than most Tigers fans. I think the hard times are far from over there yet. They're essentially going through what we did in the Brown era.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah the situation isn’t that bad. If we could get rid of a couple of contracts that we’re getting poor value from (DSaf & Brailey spring to mind) and at least replace them with guys who will give the same or better output but for cheaper this would free up room elsewhere to possibly go for a big name.

Apey

Staff member
I would love to be able to see actual salaries. It's difficult to know down to a man who is earning their pay cheques outside of obvious candidates. This is just my own guesswork, but if I had to split our first grade regulars/fill-ins into three categories: performing above salary, performing at salary, performing below salary with no grey areas.

Performing above salary (i.e next contract will be an upgrade)
Dylan Lucas
Leo Thompson

Performing at salary
Adam Elliot - probably borderline at/below
Brodie Jones - could probably be in the category above since he's moved to prop
Bradman Best - unpopular opinion: his 700k next year is a lot of money. needs to keep it up
Dane Gagai - borderline at/below, not getting any younger, maybe recency bias from a few stinkers
Enari Tuala - hopefully anyway
Fletcher Sharpe
Kalyn Ponga - well, based on last year, hard to rate him on 2024
Krystian Mapapalangi - assuming he's on minimum wage
Mat Croker - admittedly no idea what he'd be on
Phoenix Crossland
Tyson Frizell
Tyson Gamble

Performing below salary
Daniel Saifiti - biggest culprit
Greg Marzhew - admittedly no idea what he would be on, his level has dropped though
Jacob Saifiti - not nearly as egregious as his brother but still probably overpaid
Jack Cogger
Jayden Brailey - third place
Jackson Hastings - second biggest culprit
Jack Hetherington
Kai Pearce-Paul - not entirely his fault, we don't seem to know how to use him
Thomas Jenkins - even with wishful thinking that he didn't cost much
Will Pryce - probably. no idea what he's on, 400k was reported next year

~

Feel free to point out any glaringly wrong categorisations. Few players from the top 29? missing but they've rarely played first grade if at all and/or are leaving eg. Armstrong

After going through the players one by one, the problem to me does indeed centre around the few big names that have been mentioned in the media. In a perfect world: I'd move on the three biggest problems in DSaf, Brailey & Hastings without hesitation. Hetherington would be next on the list, and even though they're presumably (and hopefully) cheap, I'd want to piss Cogger and Jenkins off too - they're hopeless even as back-ups and have reached their very limited ceilings. KPP/Pryce you'd give more time which just leaves Marzhew. No idea what to make of him, he was great last year with the occasional stinker, this year his overall level is lower and the stinkers feel a bit more common.

Of course, this is all just under imaginary conditions, I think we will seriously struggle to get rid of Brailey and Hastings and as noted there are a lack of options to replace them anyway. We know we've signed Schiller which might have implications on Gagai/Tuala/Marzhew's place in the team. Wouldn't be surprised if Gagai retires after 2025, if he continues to decline, the club shouldn't be going for that 2026 option.

I would love to be able to see actual salaries. It's difficult to know down to a man who is earning their pay cheques outside of obvious candidates. This is just my own guesswork, but if I had to split our first grade regulars/fill-ins into three categories: performing above salary, performing at salary, performing below salary with no grey areas.

Performing above salary (i.e next contract will be an upgrade)
Dylan Lucas
Leo Thompson

Performing at salary
Adam Elliot - probably borderline at/below
Brodie Jones - could probably be in the category above since he's moved to prop
Bradman Best - unpopular opinion: his 700k next year is a lot of money. needs to keep it up
Dane Gagai - borderline at/below, not getting any younger, maybe recency bias from a few stinkers
Enari Tuala - hopefully anyway
Fletcher Sharpe
Kalyn Ponga - well, based on last year, hard to rate him on 2024
Krystian Mapapalangi - assuming he's on minimum wage
Mat Croker - admittedly no idea what he'd be on
Phoenix Crossland
Tyson Frizell
Tyson Gamble

Performing below salary
Daniel Saifiti - biggest culprit
Greg Marzhew - admittedly no idea what he would be on, his level has dropped though
Jacob Saifiti - not nearly as egregious as his brother but still probably overpaid
Jack Cogger
Jayden Brailey - third place
Jackson Hastings - second biggest culprit
Jack Hetherington
Kai Pearce-Paul - not entirely his fault, we don't seem to know how to use him
Thomas Jenkins - even with wishful thinking that he didn't cost much
Will Pryce - probably. no idea what he's on, 400k was reported next year

~

Feel free to point out any glaringly wrong categorisations. Few players from the top 29? missing but they've rarely played first grade if at all and/or are leaving eg. Armstrong

After going through the players one by one, the problem to me does indeed centre around the few big names that have been mentioned in the media. In a perfect world: I'd move on the three biggest problems in DSaf, Brailey & Hastings without hesitation. Hetherington would be next on the list, and even though they're presumably (and hopefully) cheap, I'd want to piss Cogger and Jenkins off too - they're hopeless even as back-ups and have reached their very limited ceilings. KPP/Pryce you'd give more time which just leaves Marzhew. No idea what to make of him, he was great last year with the occasional stinker, this year his overall level is lower and the stinkers feel a bit more common.

Of course, this is all just under imaginary conditions, I think we will seriously struggle to get rid of Brailey and Hastings and as noted there are a lack of options to replace them anyway. We know we've signed Schiller which might have implications on Gagai/Tuala/Marzhew's place in the team. Wouldn't be surprised if Gagai retires after 2025, if he continues to decline, the club shouldn't be going for that 2026 option.
Marzhew considering he was a swap for a hooker who's name escapes me is probably worth his money and considering our attack is puss he's going ok I think.

Wingers stats
Runs - 6th
Run Mtrs - 4th
Tackle Breaks - 3rd
Kick return mtrs - 9th
Errors 18th

The rest in your over paid list I agree with.

*KPP could be in the future and maybe would be in a better team ( worth the money)
*Crossland I'd think isnt on much and provides good bang for buck as a hooker ( pun intended ) /14, and I'm hopeful will continue to improve. The kid bleeds red and blue.

Latest posts