What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos revamp pays off for ARL

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/kangaroos-revamp-pays-off-for-arl/2006/12/07/1165081091129.html

Roy Masters
December 8, 2006

THE ARL campaign to take on the Wallabies as the nation's No.1 football brand gained momentum during the recent Tri-Nations series, with merchandising income more than doubling past sales. The makeover of the Kangaroo jersey, featuring a new emblem and design, appealed to fans, with Classic Sportswear reporting a sales growth of 174 per cent.

ARL chairman Colin Love said: "The new Kangaroo branding is a program that is only new but even in its infancy, sales have gone through the roof. We're working towards a centenary year [2008] and a World Cup at the end of that season, so to have the revamped brand performing the way it is, is very pleasing."

In October last year, during the Kangaroos' failed campaign in England to defend the Tri-Nations trophy, only 994 jerseys were sold. Sales for October 2006, as the Kangaroos embarked on their successful mission in Australia and New Zealand to regain the trophy, were 2724.

Classic Sportswear reports that sales of training gear also grew in excess of 100 per cent. "We exceeded all budgets for venue sales, with the venue concessionaire writing the forecasted total after only two games," said Classic Sportswear's licensing manager, Rebecca James.

While sales are well below figures for the 2003 rugby World Cup in Australia, Love is confident the Kangaroos brand can leap over the Wallabies jumper, particularly with the Wallabies' chances in next year's World Cup in France diminishing. A centenary committee has been appointed, consisting of representatives of the ARL and NRL, demonstrating a joint venture approach to the game's 100 year celebrations. The anniversary of the formation of the NSWRL in August 1907 will be the first event acknowledged, with a re-enactment of officials gathering for a meeting at the Sydney Showground.

The Roosters, the only stand-alone club to have played every season since 1908, will jump start the anniversary celebrations, partying a year ahead of the code. The Bondi Junction club will celebrate its 100th season in 2007 with a commemorative strip, a celebration ball and a re-enactment of the Eastern Suburbs' original game with Newtown.

ARL and NRL officials are disappointed with the Roosters' stand-alone plans, but the club has undertaken not to use the term "centenary" in its promotions. Manly also chose to celebrate their 60th season in 2006, while Parramatta will wait until next year. Both clubs were formed in 1947.

The Wanna-bees are toast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was the first time I have seen Kangaroo gear in the airport shops. Melbourne had a bloody big poster on the shop front advertising the 3N's and merchandise weeks before the event.

Trick will be to keep up the presence given we only host a test series every decade or two!

t-ba

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
Trick will be to keep up the presence given we only host a test series every decade or two!

I'd say those days are over though.

If the ARL had any sense they'd hold a triangular series during the NRL season with NZ and a combined Islands/PNG side to keep interest in the Kangaroos Brand.

aids

Bench
the ARL Aust. A side wouldn't be a bad idea either.
similar to the team that has been playing PNG prior to the trinations.

if the rumors of france being included in the offseason comp, then maybe trial aust. a for the first few years

also, i picked up this years aussie jersey and hat.
and like the new design

Redback71

First Grade
is it correct there is no tri nations next year and is it because of the world cup in 07/08 ? and will the tri series be back in 08/09

aids

Bench
no trinations in 07, that's correct

would a would 7's be a possibilty after the world cup?
if most of the teams are already here, it wouldn't be a bad idea

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The post-season international program in 2007 is a NZ tour of GB, to conincide with the 100th anniversary of international RL.

2008 is the WC

2009 is 4-nations (Aus, NZ, GB and France) in Europe.

2010 I believe is a full GB tour of Australia.

macavity

Referee
how is the jersey design wrong?

must say I was miffed when at Sydney airport in Nov. - one could get an all black jersey or otago chiefs jersey FFS.... but not a Kangaroos one.

LESStar58

Referee
Kurt Angle said:
The post-season international program in 2007 is a NZ tour of GB, to conincide with the 100th anniversary of international RL.

2008 is the WC

2009 is 4-nations (Aus, NZ, GB and France) in Europe.

2010 I believe is a full GB tour of Australia.

I often wondered; if Super League hadn't got in the way would we still be having proper Kangaroo tours? 1998 really should have been the last one then 2002, this year, 2010.

wittyfan

Referee
and a re-enactment of the Eastern Suburbs' original game with Newtown.

Hmmm....interesting. I assume it will be a faithful re-enactment with every play of the game from 1908 acted out?

Murphdogg1

Juniors
macavity said:
how is the jersey design wrong?

must say I was miffed when at Sydney airport in Nov. - one could get an all black jersey or otago chiefs jersey FFS.... but not a Kangaroos one.

its a waikato chiefs jersey you f**kwit :lol:

ozbash

Referee
Murphdogg1 said:
its a waikato cheifs jersey you f**kwit :lol:

:clap: :clap: Go the Chiefs !

Classic Sportswear reports that sales of training gear also grew in excess of 100 per cent. "We exceeded all budgets for venue sales, with the venue concessionaire writing the forecasted total after only two games," said Classic Sportswear's licensing manager, Rebecca James.

what 2 games ? Auckland - melbourne ?

they might have sold 4 jerseys in sydney

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I was at Melbourne airport and saw the poster, big one of Mark Gasnier, and the gear outside the shop as you go to the boarding gates. The gear was out until after the TN final, has now been replaced by cricket merchandise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doubt it. British RL was always goign to move to summer at some point meaning the end of "proper" tours. What has been a shame is that there has been absolutely terrible planning of the international calendar for years. How hard can it be when you only have 3 main nations?

Should be three match test series rotating with tri nations and world cups.

eg

Year 1 Tri nations
Year 2 Aus tour GB
Year 3 Tri nations
Year 4 NZ tour GB
Year 5 WC
and so and so on. Throw in one off tests plus a regular program for the smaller nations and what do you know, Int RL has some credibility!

Bumble

First Grade
About to say the exact same thing.

2500 jerseys? That's an acheivement now?

The socceroos sold many many times that.

ozbash

Referee
A-league game in sydney last night drew a 50k crowd.

sydney , home of rugby league ? yea, right :lol: :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
ozbash said:
A-league game in sydney last night drew a 50k crowd.

sydney , home of rugby league ? yea, right :lol: :lol:

The game last night was played in Melbourne champ..;-)