What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos wont play minor nations

DIEHARD

----
The ARL said after its board meeting there would be no games against minor nations on this year's Tri-Nations tour, after injuries to Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley against the US in November drew criticism. Australia's Tri-Nations participation was approved but chief executive Geoff Carr said there would be no detours on the way home

I hope France isn't included as a "minor" nation.

thommo4pm

Coach
fair enough the Kanagaroos don't play the minor nations, but what about the Jnr Roos or our Premier League or Jim Beam Cup champions.

as the leading League Nation in the world it is our duty to help assist these minor nations, that's how I view it anyway.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
thommo4pm said:
as the leading League Nation in the world it is our duty to help assist these minor nations, that's how I view it anyway.

Thats exactly right.

If their arent any Tri Nations then we should play minor nations.

thommo4pm

Coach
rugged said:
Just have an Australia A touring as well.

that would make too much sense and be too tough for our administrators to organise.
I think the Jnr Kangaroos going to the USA for a 2-3 match tour is the way to go.
We need to continue with the USA League and help promote it further over there, the opportunities are endless if we can crack the market over there.

DIEHARD

----
rugged said:
Just have an Australia A touring as well.

Absolutely. We need other top Aussie teams touring.

Whether it is Junior Roos, an A team or Aboriginal All-Stars. We have to get out there. The Kangaroos can't do all the work and no one should expect them too.

But a game against PNG or France isn't too much to ask.

The Observer

Staff member
Emerging States Australian team (featuring the best players to come from Vic, WA, SA, Tas and NT) could be sent to emerging nations like the USA. The Junior Roos and Aborigines deserve to enter regional tournaments against stronger opposition (like the Pacific Cup).

In-goal

Bench
Australia A would be just as good as the full strength team with the exception of Lockyer who would be the difference.

Australia U/23 for mine known as the joeys or something like that would be a good option.

rugged

Juniors
The Junior Roos and Aborigines deserve to enter regional tournaments against stronger opposition (like the Pacific Cup).

Are you saying you think they'd flog France and USA???

DIEHARD

----
In-goal said:
Australia A would be just as good as the full strength team with the exception of Lockyer who would be the difference.

I think having an A team would make Australia even more powerful.

Or just have a squad of NRL players who are willing to tour and promote the game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
In-goal said:

Australia U/23 for mine known as the joeys or something like that would be a good option.

Well they can make it the same side, like the Australian A cricket team was made up of young and upcoming cricketers.

So basically an Australian A young team would have the likes of Brent Stewart, Creagh, Learoyd,

The Observer

Staff member
rugged said:
The Junior Roos and Aborigines deserve to enter regional tournaments against stronger opposition (like the Pacific Cup).

Are you saying you think they'd flog France and USA???

I'm saying they'd flog emerging nations teams like the USA, Russia, Holland etc. FWIW a full strength Aboriginal Dream Team with NRL players (minus Kangaroo reps) could beat nearly every team in the world - even a full strength Kangaroo team.

My point is that its best for most teams in the world to be playing in regional tournaments.
* The Aboriginal Dream Team should join Aotearoa Maori, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Cook Isl. in the elite Pacific Cup tournament

* The Junior Roos should be playing PNG and NZ A home and away annually.

I don't think there should be an Australia A team. The NRL clubs would have cause to complain about the burden on its players. There are many alternatives, as we've shown above. We could even send a NSW Country or QLD Residents team overseas. Those teams or the Emerging States Aus team would provifde a more realistic level of competition for teams like USA.

dimitri

First Grade
another f**ken ridiculous decision

no nation should be considered MINOR

all nations play an important role in the fabric of the international game

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

griff

Bench
If we distinguish between the test playing nations and the "minor" nations then it seems ok to me.

Australia should play against the test playing nations, including PNG and France, but I don't have a problem with the full Kangaroos not playing teams like the USA.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree with Diehard I hope France isnt considered a minor nation.

32 points against the World Champions, what more could they do to be classed as test matches?

The USA match was a great way to improve Rugby League over there, I hope they can do it more often.

screeny

Bench
Agree with griff. RL needs to take itself seriously, a Test playing nation needs to be treated with the respect it deserves. That means PNG and France etc.

Unfortunately the ARL don't really know the meaning of the word respect.

rugbynotsoccer

Juniors
fact is france and PNG are amatuer so they are minor nations without a strong or new domestic comp :(

unless u think playing shit just to make the score lines close where wallabies would put on 50+ points vs similar nations. Instead of trying to struggle purposely to promote such a internationally weak game through trying to make the scorelines close.

How many players does RL france have or PNG? theres probably a abundant of irb nations that outweigh
USA Number of registered players 46256
canada Number of registered players 52705

Put things into perspective you don't see them play many games against the top 3 but then again the world of RL is very small with 2nd tier nations.

taipan

Referee
rugbynotsoccer said:
fact is france and PNG are amatuer so they are minor nations without a strong or new domestic comp :(

unless u think playing sh*t just to make the score lines close where wallabies would put on 50+ points vs similar nations. Instead of trying to struggle purposely to promote such a internationally weak game through trying to make the scorelines close.

How many players does RL france have or PNG? theres probably a abundant of irb nations that outweigh
USA Number of registered players 46256
canada Number of registered players 52705

Put things into perspective you don't see them play many games against the top 3 but then again the world of RL is very small with 2nd tier nations.

Your point ? concentrate on getting those countries you stated in your code up to any sort of competitive scratch and then get back to us.
We are debating rugby league here,not the game they play in Devon.