What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos

leaguerules

Juniors
Hi can someone tell me how they will go this year. I only sort of started follow afl last year and really ended up getting behind them i go for them and any team that plays the swan lol. But i totally havnt been following the off season. Who have they gained and lost.

lockyno1

Post Whore
They are a reasonably old side with some youth. Daniel Wells is fantastic to watch. Borerline of the top 8. Could finish anywhere from 6-12th, depending on injuries. If they lose Rocca, Harvery, Grant, or Wells for any extended period they may struggle. They are solid but will be more of a title hope in 3 years when the youngsters have come through.

Rustay

Juniors
Dont think they will make the eight this year. Teams like the Bulldogs, Maggies and dare i say it, even the Dockers (shudder) will probably overtake them this year. Oh and the Tigers too. So yeah, i wouldnt back them to make the eight, but hey you never know.

Rustay

Juniors
:lol: Sorry, i just think that if they keep their key forwards etc fit this year they are a chance at the 8. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, i wouldnt complain if they came 15th (Freo last ;-) )

camsmith

Juniors
My prediction is that they will finish 6th - 9th place, and once again bomb out in the first or second week.
They seem to be concentrating on the present instead of the future which hasn't yet worked for them in recent years and i see that as again being the case this season.

Oh and hey picked up Hawthorns Jonathan Hay in the summer..

meltiger

First Grade
camsmith said:
My prediction is that they will finish 6th - 9th place, and once again bomb out in the first or second week.
They seem to be concentrating on the present instead of the future which hasn't yet worked for them in recent years and i see that as again being the case this season.

Oh and hey picked up Hawthorns Jonathan Hay in the summer..

I think Kev would agree here mate that they aren't trying to win a premiership. They are terrified of 'bottoming out' ala St Kilda, Footscray, Hawthorn and Richmond and do not believe they are viable if they do. To finish mid table, keeps them afloat.

camsmith

Juniors
Very true, if they were to have a couple of years at the bottom i dont think they would survive. Which is sad, North are proabably my least hated team... even after all those miserable times walking out of the ground after a kangas game. We never can beat them.

meltiger

First Grade
camsmith said:
even after all those miserable times walking out of the ground after a kangas game. We never can beat them.

That's cause we play them in the TV Studio almost everytime where you know as well as i do that we are sh*t!

Not in 2006 however, in 2006 we play them at the G ;-) That was one of the first things I noticed in the draw lol

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
I think Kev would agree here mate that they aren't trying to win a premiership. They are terrified of 'bottoming out' ala St Kilda, Footscray, Hawthorn and Richmond and do not believe they are viable if they do. To finish mid table, keeps them afloat.

I concur.

Still, if things fall their way they can surprise.

They're taking an interesting approach to recruiting, although I think young McConnell will flourish there and Swallow could well come on.

They do have a brace of older players who will be calling it quits over the next two seasons, which doesn't augur overly well for the future, but I think they'll go okay this year.

I'd expect a 5-8 finish.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Their spine didn't get your mob to a GF in 2001 ... Why would it for them in 2006? lol

Thompson should go okay, and Hay will be solid enough providing he can get on the park and assuming he is instructed to do nothing more than sit on an opponent and punch. God help them down back if Hay continually gets called upon for the quick kick-in under new rules.

Hopefully for them they won't have to call on "Grandpa knees" Rawlings.

While Hawthorn 2001 had a better core group of talent, this Kangaroos side carries greater depth and looks a bit more diverse across the park.

Should play finals, so it will just be a matter of how the cards fall for them after that.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
God help them down back if Hay continually gets called upon for the quick kick-in under new rules.

From the reports I've read of the Richmond Intra-club last week, our designated kicker (Hodge @ Hawthorn?) actually had a ball in hand prior to the shot actually being taken many times.

Based on that, the only times I could see Hay being at risk of being called upon, is running shots as opposed to set shots. Although you would think there would be someone in the vicinity with a better kick on them.

With North - I'm actually a fan of Thompson, I said all last year I thought he could be a player for them. But the fact remains, they do have the nucleus or much of at the least, the KPP's of a Hawthorn side that didn't achieve anything other than 1 prelim final.

Hawthorn must have been giggling themselves stupid when North came looking for Hay the year after giving up two first rounders for Thompson.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
From the reports I've read of the Richmond Intra-club last week, our designated kicker (Hodge @ Hawthorn?) actually had a ball in hand prior to the shot actually being taken many times.

Who is the designated Tiger kick taker, Joel Bowden? With Hodge required to play a prominent centre role I think its unfair (and counterproductive) to expect him to have to rush back to take these kicks. I can see problems here for 2006 and the likelihood of Xavier Ellis getting a HBF role for 2007 to utilise his skills for this purpose.

meltiger said:
Based on that, the only times I could see Hay being at risk of being called upon, is running shots as opposed to set shots. Although you would think there would be someone in the vicinity with a better kick on them.

Name a player, any player, and he'll be a better kick-in option than Hay. Mind you, Hay can roost a ball if he gets on to it, so Laidley could just instruct his HBFs & wingers to run wide to the flanks just outside 50 whenever Hay gets the ball and instruct Hay to just roost it long and wide.

meltiger said:
With North - I'm actually a fan of Thompson, I said all last year I thought he could be a player for them. But the fact remains, they do have the nucleus or much of at the least, the KPP's of a Hawthorn side that didn't achieve anything other than 1 prelim final.

Thompson may never get a better chance to have a 3 goal per game season than this one. A career average of 1.7 goals per game is woeful for a player of Thompson's capabilities. Outside of the ex-Hawk trio, the Kangaroos do have some big strong bodied talls, but question marks reside over their mobility and genuine talent.

Will be a very interesting side.

meltiger said:
Hawthorn must have been giggling themselves stupid when North came looking for Hay the year after giving up two first rounders for Thompson.

I'll hold off on any laughter until we see what transpires from our end.

Thompson was quite good for the Roos last season and should continue to play well, but Jordan Lewis' early form softened that deal considerably. If Little can come on this season it'll be all good on that front, but that remains a firm "if".

Similarly, the Kangaroos will almost certainly be ahead again this season with Hay, although young Birchall has impressed seasoned club track watchers with his early showings

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Who is the designated Tiger kick taker, Joel Bowden? With Hodge required to play a prominent centre role I think its unfair (and counterproductive) to expect him to have to rush back to take these kicks. I can see problems here for 2006 and the likelihood of Xavier Ellis getting a HBF role for 2007 to utilise his skills for this purpose.

It was Chris Newman from all reports on Friday (In the 'probables' team). I mainly only named Hodge because of the real lack of experience they seem to have. If Hodge is playing in the Centre, I agree the kick outs should not be his role. But if he is playing the half back/sweeper role. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Richmond certainly used Tivendale for kick outs at one point when he was playing that type of role. Ellis is a fair point, if he's annointed as the one to take that sweeper role in the long term, Hodge would be wasted.

CyberKev said:
Name a player, any player, and he'll be a better kick-in option than Hay. Mind you, Hay can roost a ball if he gets on to it, so Laidley could just instruct his HBFs & wingers to run wide to the flanks just outside 50 whenever Hay gets the ball and instruct Hay to just roost it long and wide.

Things could be worse. Apparently Darren Gaspar was being heckled by a 2nd year 0 game draftee on Friday over his kicking lol

CyberKev said:
Thompson may never get a better chance to have a 3 goal per game season than this one. A career average of 1.7 goals per game is woeful for a player of Thompson's capabilities. Outside of the ex-Hawk trio, the Kangaroos do have some big strong bodied talls, but question marks reside over their mobility and genuine talent.

Will be a very interesting side.

Personally, I think North are a very ordinary side and what has saved them ladder wise is the seemingly endless amount of so called 'shinboner spirit' that exists in the place. They are certainly one team that over achieves based on their huge heart and desire to win at all costs.

I thought Thompson had a good season last year? Has Rocca backed up again this year? I see it as silliness to play them both in the same side.

CyberKev said:
I'll hold off on any laughter until we see what transpires from our end.

Still, instead of having 4 shots at getting your first rounders right over the last two years, you have had what 8 or 9?

It's certainly increasing the chances of gaining multiple 200 gamers in a great fashion.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
It was Chris Newman from all reports on Friday (In the 'probables' team).

A player like Newman is a good option when your key defender carries queries over his kicking. With Hodge up field we don't have that option, unless Smith is also preferred up field, which could open a HBF spot for young Young who is an excellent kick of the football.

meltiger said:
Things could be worse. Apparently Darren Gaspar was being heckled by a 2nd year 0 game draftee on Friday over his kicking lol

Hughes? Its easier for young forwards to diss older defenders than it is for young defenders to diss older forwards. If you don't kick much, people just write it off as the realities of a young player learning the game, but if you say it to someone like Richo and he kicks 8 on you, then people say you're a dud with no defensive skills.

meltiger said:
I thought Thompson had a good season last year? Has Rocca backed up again this year? I see it as silliness to play them both in the same side.

Its actually not that silly. Thompson average a bit over 2 goals a game playing largely out of CHF last season and had the North faithful California creaming about how he could kill it out of FF. Alas for them, they haven't woken up to the fact that Thompson is much better in a mobile role because he gets hemmed-in at FF and is too easily spoiled. Having him running around at CHF and Rocca using his strength from the square isn't too bad of a combination.

meltiger said:
Still, instead of having 4 shots at getting your first rounders right over the last two years, you have had what 8 or 9?

It's certainly increasing the chances of gaining multiple 200 gamers in a great fashion.

Its all about playing the percentages, but until players like Birchall & Bailey start coming-on at senior level, the Roos will rightly see themselves as being ahead on the deal.

Latest posts