What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kata to Brumbies.

Rich102

Staff member
Former Warrior Solomone Kata has quit rugby league and will take up a two-year deal with the Brumbies in Super Rugby.

The 24-year-old was given a release from his contract midway through this season after losing his spot at centre to Patrick Herbert.

He moved to the Storm, but failed to make it into their NRL team, spending the rest of the year playing for their feeder club Easts Tigers in the Intrust Super Cup.

Kata elected to leave Melbourne Storm after not taking up his NRL contract option for 2020.

"I've really enjoyed my time here at Storm and made some good friends over the past few months," Kata said.

"However another opportunity has come up that I'm keen to explore so I won't be with the club next year.

"I'd like to thank everyone at Storm for making me feel so welcome and wish the boys all the best in 2020."

That opportunity is to play for the Brumbies and return to the code he excelled in before signing with the Warriors.

The Brumbies are expected to announce that Kata has signed a two-year deal with them and they will be hoping he makes a similar impact that Ngani Laumape made when he left the Warriors in 2015 to return to rugby.

Kata would eventually be eligible to play for the Wallabies, although he will have to wait five years, so may decide to represent Tonga.

Kata played 93 games for the Warriors and up until this season was one of their more consistent players.

But he started 2019 playing poorly and was relegated to the NSW Cup team.

Once Herbert took his opportunity in the first grade team, it was apparent that there was no way back for Kata.

He chose to switch to the Storm, even though it appeared long odds to make it into Craig Bellamy's NRL team.

Storm General Manager - Football Frank Ponissi thanked Kata for his efforts.

"Although Sol wasn't able to break into our minor premiership-winning team, he proved to be a popular squad member who was always willing to help his new teammates get the best preparation possible for their NRL match each week, as well as doing his job with the Tigers," he said.

"He leaves us with our best wishes for the future."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...or-solomone-kata-quits-storm-to-join-brumbies

jaseg

Juniors
Will be pretty funny if he ends up a Wallaby

Cooper Vuna and Naiyaravoro did it so why not?

It is funny they mention Laumape though... he was a stupidly good talent (I'll never forget how a rookie centre came onto our left edge and instantly made that side look dominant in defence despite looking pretty hopeless with the rotation of guys they went through before and after... that kind of stuff just doesn't really happen) that our coaching staff largely ignored. Kata is a guy with a handful of great attributes who never developed the skills or know-how of the position despite coaches having a fixation on him for years.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah was gonna mention Laumape. Will be extra funny if they play Bledisloe together... on opposite sides!

Matua

Bench
Does anyone really think he's going to kill it in Aussie rugby? The Brumbies are idiots. A non passing centre who can't figure out how to defend on one side let alone across the whole park.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
More chance of making the Brumbies than the Storm. Union not completely foreign to him, can he kick?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Kata was more suited to league. He has limited ball playing skills and now he's going to a sport where you need to keep the ball alive. Even as an outside back he will struggle with the pace and under the high ball. Should've looked at ESL.