What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayal Iro debut

Frenzy.

Immortal
f**k, that was a shit time for him.
Just an example of how the "normal" lives of players can have a huge bearing. Teddy at the Chooks had a poor year in 2023. When reflecting on 2023, there were heaps of players from the 2022 World Cup who faltered without having as much on the plate as others.

I wouldn't have even posted about OK unless I stumbled on that article. I knew about it but it wasn't in the public domain as far as I knew.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Agreed.

I said somewhere earlier in the week that this was the time for Herb to show something, anything, to make us think it's worthwhile taking up the option. Sadly for him, he once again produced pretty much nothing.
The only thing I will say in his defense is he had his left quad heavily strapped. Maybe if we weren't so light on troops he wouldn't have been playing.

Tommy was underwhelming. He's definitely not a starter at this point. And Tuks looks to have way more upside for mine.
I know it's only early days, but this year Tommy's progress seems to have plateaued.
Agree that Tommy's not a starter ATM but in his defense he's only 23 games into his career. OK is nearing 100 games and on that basis I believe Tom potentially has more upside. Different body type too. We have the big boppers covered in AFB and Tooks moving forward. Keeping Jack is a must imo.

Frenzy.

Immortal
AFB has not been setting the world on fire just quietly. Has not played as good as he did against The Shark in any subsequent game.

Especially since I captained him in SuperCoach the prick! LOL

ragzouken

Juniors
Agree that Tommy's not a starter ATM but in his defense he's only 23 games into his career. OK is nearing 100 games and on that basis I believe Tom potentially has more upside. Different body type too. We have the big boppers covered in AFB and Tooks moving forward. Keeping Jack is a must imo.
Hazelton has negative lateral movement he has been caught a few times, I don’t think that improves but matters less as the third man

shadowboxer

First Grade
Hazelton is only starting due to injury. The sooner the troops come back the better. He would admit it for sure at this stage of his first grade stint.
Aside from him picking up the most vanilla nickname being ‘tall Tom’ - he’s doing well.

DJDL

Bench
Very impressive stats again, great first handful of first grade games.

I feel Fitz will persist.

Hope you’re right.
We’ve lost nothing by bringing him in, and arguably gained in the Cam rotation.

He stays for mine.

Inferno

Coach
I've got to say, I was very much thinking Sifa should have been moved back to the centres this week given we had toby and Uele back but the more I see of Kayal the more I'm thinking he should stay there.

a forward pack of:

8. Hamlin-Uele
10. Hazleton
11. Nikora
12. Wilton
13. McInnes

14. Sifa
15. Toby
16. Williams
17. OK/Dale/Hunt/Tooks

Looks good to me.

bluefox68

Staff member
Iro is making it very hard for Fitz to do anything but pick him…

He’s a couple of line breaks away from cementing his spot. His defence and yardage carries are really solid…

Special K

Coach
I don't know if we can afford to keep him but I would. He really looks way beyond a guy with 4 first grade games

Squad depth is starting to show through, going from the 17 we had to started the year, its like we have a profession coming through.

First Graders now - Iro, (Dykes & Colqhuon both when fit)
Can handle a few games be totally ready next year - Stonestreet & Tooks
A few games next year ready 2026 Vea'lla, Ison, Hosking and Healy
Experienced back ups Hiroti & Burns always good for few games and if too many injuries

Yes the odd one might not pay off, but Fitz has managed to land a couple of backups for us as well

Frenzy.

Immortal
Haven't seen any sign of his prior defensive deficiencies in the 2 games so far. Bear in mind his issues weren't with tackling, they were with connection. The right side D from Ronnie in to Tieg was totally connected and produced a few great slide and scramble efforts. They moved together, maintained spacing, squared up till they had to slide. No confusion

Maybe his issues were from being with lesser players when with the Jets.

He's a bit of a mad thing with a ball tucked under his wing. He's attacking defenders with his runs. The whack on contact that you can even hear through the broadcast is scary hard.

chewsta

First Grade
Haven't seen any sign of his prior defensive deficiencies in the 2 games so far. Bear in mind his issues weren't with tackling, they were with connection. The right side D from Ronnie in to Tieg was totally connected and produced a few great slide and scramble efforts. They moved together, maintained spacing, squared up till they had to slide. No confusion

Maybe his issues were from being with lesser players when with the Jets.
Likewise for Ronnie and Tieg with the addition of Tricky in there as opposed to Moyza.
One thing that bugs me sometimes is how far in off his wing Ronnie can be found with unmarked blokes outside him. BUT... I have noticed it being Tricky's job to bust his ass and sweep around the back of Ronnie in these situations to potentially drive anyone receiving the ball over the sideline with momentum. So it's obviously a part of the defensive structure. Like an old fashioned run around but while defending. For a little bloke, Tricky hits hard and defends well one on one. Sifa/Iro, Tieg and Ronnie are all defending better because of it. another little 1%er the team is doing well.

Likewise for Ronnie and Tieg with the addition of Tricky in there as opposed to Moyza.
One thing that bugs me sometimes is how far in off his wing Ronnie can be found with unmarked blokes outside him. BUT... I have noticed it being Tricky's job to bust his ass and sweep around the back of Ronnie in these situations to potentially drive anyone receiving the ball over the sideline with momentum. So it's obviously a part of the defensive structure. Like an old fashioned run around but while defending. For a little bloke, Tricky hits hard and defends well one on one. Sifa/Iro, Tieg and Ronnie are all defending better because of it. another little 1%er the team is doing well.
If you also look Trindall has cleaned up between 4-6 in the in goal from kicks made the effort to get there, something Moyza wouldn't have done.
Left side defence is working as a team

Latest posts