What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayal Iro debut

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Is this worth a thread?

Anyway, congrats Kayal. First of many. He has been really impressive in NSW Cup, definitely looks to be up to NRL levels of physicality.

From sharks.com.au:

And while it is nearing the end for two of the game’s elder statesmen, the Bulldogs clash will represent the start of an NRL journey for Cook Island’s born Kayal Iro, who makes his top grade debut.

A captain’s run injury has resulted in Matt Ikuvalu being a late withdrawal from the match, with Iro, super impressive in the NSW Cup for the Newtown Jets this season, coming into the side as Shark #555.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Congrats to the young lad, huge day for him tomorrow. Massive accomplishment

Iro is Shark #555, Sione Katoa is #515. 40 players have made for their Shark debuts in between these two - madness!

BWNB

First Grade
Looking forward to seeing him run out.

Hope the injury the Ikuvalu isn't too bad we might need him.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Looking forward to seeing him run out.

Hope the injury the Ikuvalu isn't too bad we might need him.
Dare say the injury doesn’t exist. Didn’t want to debut him at Tamworth or brookvale.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Is this worth a thread?

Anyway, congrats Kayal. First of many. He has been really impressive in NSW Cup, definitely looks to be up to NRL levels of physicality.

From sharks.com.au:

And while it is nearing the end for two of the game’s elder statesmen, the Bulldogs clash will represent the start of an NRL journey for Cook Island’s born Kayal Iro, who makes his top grade debut.

A captain’s run injury has resulted in Matt Ikuvalu being a late withdrawal from the match, with Iro, super impressive in the NSW Cup for the Newtown Jets this season, coming into the side as Shark #555.

Yes. Big Bloke might not think so though

bluefox68

Staff member
It will be interesting to see where they play him…

He plays left centre normally…

I would love to see him put on the left wing, with Mulitalo switching to the right wing, where he HAS played before…

DJDL

Bench
Can't see that happening, Foxy. Too much disruption.
Ronnie and Sifa have built up a great combination this year. Best to leave it as is, particularly with all the other changes in the backline.

bluefox68

Staff member
Can't see that happening, Foxy. Too much disruption.
Ronnie and Sifa have built up a great combination this year. Best to leave it as is, particularly with all the other changes in the backline.
Yeah, I know.

It seemed weird having Miller play right wing a couple of weeks ago, but it was the least disruptive way to go.

Iro played fullback for the Jets a game or two ago. I doubt this will happen but maybe Miller and he could switch between wing and fullback during the game. Like I said, I doubt it, but it won't shock me if it does though.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Fitz has done it well keeps bringing through the young guys, give them that experience.
It's very Rooster like, they though blood some in first grade at 18, be interesting next year if that's our policy

Frenzy.

Immortal
Very pleased to see Earo get his shot.

He has played on the right before. He was right winger in a 2021 trial vs Dragons. Was also left winger in same trial. Scored tries on both sides. He's not a one trick pony and no need to change the team

DJDL

Bench
That's what I thought as well, Frenz. I'm sure I've seen footage of him playing both sides.

Really looking forward to watching him go around this afternoon.