What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Hi all.
Have been reading the forum for many years, but have never signed up until now.

The Kearney sacking has left me with more questions than answers.
The 2 most successful coaches for the Warriors, have been those who have coached the Warriors the most games. Anderson and Cleary. The point I am making is that though there were obvious inconsistencies in performance while Kearney was coach, did he have long enough to really make a long term impact?

This rotation of coaches every few years is a failed concept. I think they need a franchise coach. Could Kearney have been this franchise coach? Stability is not a word usually associated with the Warriors, and here we are again. New owners, new coach....again.

Strangely, results aside, I saw enough from their post-covid performances to be somewhat optimistic. We will never know what was to be, had they let Kearney see out the year.
Welcome.

3.5 years is plenty in my opinion. Ideally, in your 3rd, 4th year if it is working you should start to see improvement, consistency etc. This we did not.

A franchise coach is a Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson, Hasler, not someone with a 30% win percentage in 5 odd years of coaching.

waipiro

Juniors
Hey just as a side note, how will Kearneys axeing play out for Adam Blair?
Mates with Kearney since he as 16, is no longer the coaches favourite so will have to work for his spot in the team, having to go around again next year might not seem as fun, especially with this year and so much lost time with his family...

I think Blair has been very good since the restart ....but if Kearney going means he chooses not to take up his contract option next year that is a real bonus for the club IMO

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I think Blair has been very good since the restart ....but if Kearney going means he chooses not to take up his contract option next year that is a real bonus for the club IMO
Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised with how he's gone since the restart, and while I'd be happy if he continues to play this way moving forward, that's a whole lotta salary cap we can be spending for next year if not..

Tongue

Juniors
Welcome.

3.5 years is plenty in my opinion. Ideally, in your 3rd, 4th year if it is working you should start to see improvement, consistency etc. This we did not.

A franchise coach is a Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson, Hasler, not someone with a 30% win percentage in 5 odd years of coaching.
Welcome.

Fair call. But a franchise coach needs to start somewhere.
Culturally, it will be hard to find someone of the same ilk as Kearney.
What is done, is done now though.

If they do bring in someone from the cold, like a Toovey, they need to be afforded time.
Bellamy 5 years before winning a premiership. Bennett 4 years. These guys are the best of the best, but were afforded time.
Cleary, grand final with the Warriors after 6 years.
Even someone like Shane Flanagan, head coach from 2010 - winning the premiership 2016 with his 2nd stint.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Fair call. But a franchise coach needs to start somewhere.
Culturally, it will be hard to find someone of the same ilk as Kearney.
What is done, is done now though.

If they do bring in someone from the cold, like a Toovey, they need to be afforded time.
Bellamy 5 years before winning a premiership. Bennett 4 years. These guys are the best of the best, but were afforded time.
Even someone like Shane Flanagan, head coach from 2010 - winning the premiership 2016 with his 2nd stint.

Finally someone with some sense who can think beyond their own nose....watch yourself Tongue, if you're not a diehard Warriors tragic for the past 25 yrs on here there's some who will try to cut you down, call you Mrs Kearney etc :rolleyes: if you look anything like supporting SK. No surprises re Mooks. We Kiwis are great at holding our own to a higher standard than we can do ourselves & he's been death-ridden on here since he started.

Hi guys, Long time...see you again when the same old record gets played over and over next time at the Last Chance Saloon

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Finally someone with some sense who can think beyond their own nose....watch yourself Tongue, if you're not a diehard Warriors tragic for the past 25 yrs on here there's some who will try to cut you down, call you Mrs Kearney etc :rolleyes: if you look anything like supporting SK. No surprises re Mooks. We Kiwis are great at holding our own to a higher standard than we can do ourselves & he's been death-ridden on here since he started.

Hi guys, Long time...see you again when the same old record gets played over and over next time at the Last Chance Saloon
Sweet bro. See you then, we'll miss you...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
those guys consistently won games and made finals in those years before winning premierships, thus justifying their jobs. That's pretty basic stuff.

If the new coach comes in and also has a 40% win rate after 4 years then that also wont be good enough.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Lol that’s outstanding stuff

Scott

Bench
Whats Paytens minimum KPI's to retain the coaching role next year?

I don't think it matters if he wins the next 10 in a row - there must be a plan in place to get someone & announce it asap - the players we are trying to recruit will need to know who the coach is before committing.

gordynz

Juniors
The two best and most likely options have to be Griffin and Toovey. I dont think you can go wrong with either of them but we all know that this group of players arent up to it. They need to get stuck in and work their asses off for their new coach and stop sulking about Kearney getting the sack.

Diesel

Referee
I thought Toovey would be ok, then I saw it’s 20-odd percent at Bradford.
Griffin would be good, a hard arse, but who players want to cross the Tasman for him?

Scott

Bench
Toovey - has been out of the coaching game for too long, also not sure he is suited to our 'culture'. Tends to be a bit hot-headed.

Griffin - really not sure - he seems so basic, but that may be a good thing. Don't think he will attract any quality signings. I'd probably throw Neil Henry into the same bucket.

Brown - has proven he can build & rebuild a club. Took St Helens all the way, but hasnt been able to in the NRL. Signed alot of good players to Newcastle & in many ways it is his roster playing so well this year. Certainly worth decent consideration.

I really don't see another option - other than coaches already contracted. Everybody has a price.

Whatever happens, it needs to happen soon.

Tongue

Juniors
Unless youre going to get one of the big guns, I would go for someone whos been very close to a big gun, very recently i.e. Fitzgibbon.
But he doesnt have any lower grade coaching record.
Do you put greater credence on being an assistant to Trent Robinson, than you would someone with a impressive coaching record with the lower grades? (John Ackland)
Toovey and Griffin would be the same risk to that of a Fitzgibbon as they just havent done enough.

Leber

Bench
Griffin took over a shithouse broncos team and lead them to the finals all but once, then was going good at Penrith only to be sacked when on the verge of the top 4, just to make the Clearys happy.

Has a 56% win record which is better than anything we have ever had.

Legion

Juniors
Toovey - has been out of the coaching game for too long, also not sure he is suited to our 'culture'. Tends to be a bit hot-headed.

Interesting comment. Maybe that's exactly what they need then, a coach who'll expect them to put in.

But if you're saying that Kiwi players need to be treated with kid gloves and a bit of a cuddle then Uncle Wayne is your man.
Offer him twice what he's getting at Souths and he'll jump ship.

Latest posts