What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney has the lowest win career % of any warriors coach ever

Iron Lion

Juniors
Another season is done, early Xmas for the Warriors.

Keep picking those same players Kearney.

Its impossible Kearney is coaching the Warriors in 2020. He is surely out of a job?

Name Games Wins Losses Draws Win %

MONIE, John 201 112 88 1 55.7
ANDERSON, Daniel 144 76 65 3 52.8
CLEARY, Ivan 318 149 166 3 46.9
ELLIOTT, Matthew 265 121 141 3 45.7
MCFADDEN, Andrew
67 29 38 - 43.3
ENDACOTT, Frank - 33 13 20 - 39.4
GRAHAM, Mark 50 18 30 2 36.0
KEMP, Anthony 37 13 24 - 35.1
KEARNEY, Stephen 114 40 72 2 35.1

Iron Lion

Juniors
Paul Langmack only coached 35 games.

He was smart enough to give up!

Kearney is up to 115 games... and same F#@king team each weak.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Kearney has the lowest win career % of any warriors coach ever

(* except Tony Iro)
And you left out McClennan.

JJ

Immortal
Monie’s record is actually pretty good

Of course in those days you had to be a good team to make the finals... now every does (except us for the most part, which should make things crystal clear tbg)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No more wins and another 172 games and he has got it.

Haha! Is that the numbers? Give him the Titans job and he might just achieve that.

I think the biggest thing to take away from all this is that McFadden was clearly a better coach than Kearney. At least we had a semblance of an identity and entertainment factor under McFadden. Now we think we're Melbourne but we're not, and it's putridly boring to watch. And even Bluey, with all the things going against him (dunce CEO, f*ckwits in the team, lack of experience in the NRL etc) produced more wins % wise than Kearney is doing with his own squad, many years under Bellamy and Bennett, head coaching experience etc.

I like him as a person but honestly, I don't think I'd struggle to find any backers if I was looking to start a syndicate to bankroll a bet that Kearney will never end up considered a decent NRL coach, let alone a premiership one.

And I don't agree with anyone who says we can't afford to hire and fire anymore. He's been here long enough. Bellamy was prepared to come here, money talks.

flippikat

Bench
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious trend.

9 coaches in that list.
The top 5 are Aussie
The bottom 4 are Kiwi

Let's face facts, the Warriors do better under an Aussie coach.

It also helps to have 2-3 decent Aussie forwards in our squad.

Solution? Bye bye Kearney, and spend the money we have under the cap on good Aussie forwards.

Oh and Cameron George can go too. His continued defense of Kearney makes it impossible for him to credibly stay when Kearney is booted.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious trend.

9 coaches in that list.
The top 5 are Aussie
The bottom 4 are Kiwi

Let's face facts, the Warriors do better under an Aussie coach.

It also helps to have 2-3 decent Aussie forwards in our squad.

Solution? Bye bye Kearney, and spend the money we have under the cap on good Aussie forwards.

Oh and Cameron George can go too. His continued defense of Kearney makes it impossible for him to credibly stay when Kearney is booted.

Good points.

You can't blame our Kiwi coaches, the pathway here is just so incredibly inferior to that in Australia. Their competitions are better, their coaching structures are better, they have better access to knowledge and experience, they're just set up for success so much more strongly than in NZ. How the hell are you going to become an elite level coach in NZ? By coaching a Fox Memorial side? Working in our U20s under a sub-par club structure? Kearney is an anomaly, he should be better than he is based on experience in the comp and under the best in Australia, but he's clearly just not up to it.

We have this conversation every year but no coach that isn't already considered elite or won a comp could come here. You're taking a flame thrower to your career. Then you get the unprovens who are prepared to do it, and are set up for failure straight away. There's no quick solution in the wings, people. So be worried. (no Mr Angry, Stacey is not it :D)

flippikat

Bench
Good points.

You can't blame our Kiwi coaches, the pathway here is just so incredibly inferior to that in Australia. Their competitions are better, their coaching structures are better, they have better access to knowledge and experience, they're just set up for success so much more strongly than in NZ. How the hell are you going to become an elite level coach in NZ? By coaching a Fox Memorial side? Working in our U20s under a sub-par club structure? Kearney is an anomaly, he should be better than he is based on experience in the comp and under the best in Australia, but he's clearly just not up to it.

It's a real concern that even a mediocre Australian coach like McFadden can still get a better win % than ANY New Zealand coach that's had the Warriors gig.

As you say, that includes Kearney, who's been embedded in some very successful setups in Australia as assistant.

Short term, we need an Aussie coach who's willing to do some sh#t-kicking on our squad (for lack of a better phrase), and have a comprehensive programme to get our best up and coming local club coaches over to Australia to glean as much as they can from successful setups there.

Blair

Coach

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's a real concern that even a mediocre Australian coach like McFadden can still get a better win % than ANY New Zealand coach that's had the Warriors gig.

As you say, that includes Kearney, who's been embedded in some very successful setups in Australia as assistant.

Short term, we need an Aussie coach who's willing to do some sh#t-kicking on our squad (for lack of a better phrase), and have a comprehensive programme to get our best up and coming local club coaches over to Australia to glean as much as they can from successful setups there.

I truly think we messed up by not appointing Justin Morgan a few years ago. He and Jim Doyle I think could have worked. As for Aussie coaches now, not sure who is available but gee, they'd have to really back themselves or be prepared to take a gamble with their career. Our last three coaches (McFadden, Elliott and McClennan) won't coach in the NRL again and you'd have to suggest Kearney won't either.

Add in the fact that RTS probably won't re-sign, and there's shit all coming through being produced at junior/ressies level (I know there's talent but it's not being developed) and wowee, it's a poisoned chalice if ever I saw one

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I still think Neil Henry wouldn’t be a terrible fit

Is a tough coach, and while not having the ultimate success, he made the Raiders a better club than they were before him, he built the cowboys upto a point where Green come in and got the ultimate reward, and the Titans had an average squad but were performing well above themselves before the Hayne signing that ultimately led to him getting shafted, and they’ve been woeful since he left

JJ

Immortal
As Iron Lion shows, literally anyone is better than Kearney... FFS, Bluey, Kemp, Graham, McFadden and Elliott all had better records

Henry, Brennan, Brown, Griffin, Toovey, Demetriou - several other assistants, Walters. the Walkers, half the coaches in the UK... FFS anyone, sack the turd and head hunt someone capable