What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kevin Locke Rumor

Juan Bona

Juniors
Apparently Flanno is on his way to NZ to sign Locke to play halfback. Has he ever played halfback? I know him as a winger come fullback. There is no way he is going to be taking Flash's spot at fullback next year. Where does this leave Jeff Robbo if true. Robbo could play hooker I suppose, but shouldn't we be bring Mick Lichhia through...this is confusing...anybody know anything?

Card Shark

Immortal
Sounds like an adventure story.

If anything, he will play wing or centre.

Like to get him to boost depth.

island pro

Juniors
That's the first I've heard of the halfback thing. I'd be surprised if that aspect of the rumor was true.

shiznit

Coach
That's Banana's if true...

He was a five eight in jr football so he has played in the halves before.

But jezz... Good luck turning him in to a Halfback... He's got no kicking or passing game... Is not noted as an organiser.

Todd Carney would have to take control of the side.

island pro

Juniors
From what I've seen, I'd rather the Gardz halfback experiment. Anyway, i'm not convinced Flanno would be 'out of the box' enough to try and change either of them.

Can Locke tackle well enough to play centre?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would take him for sure.

I could go with

1. Locke
2. Gordon
3. Leutele
4. Wright
5. Feki

That would work for me.

Card Shark

Immortal
From what I've seen, I'd rather the Gardz halfback experiment. Anyway, i'm not convinced Flanno would be 'out of the box' enough to try and change either of them.

Can Locke tackle well enough to play centre?

Can Gardz tackle (+ kick, + organise) well enough to play halfback?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I think Rick is relatively safe. he forced his way int the starting squad on the back of preseason & trial performances & he looked real good. IF he does the same, sans the injury, he will be ok.

webShark

Apparently Flanno is on his way to NZ to sign Locke to play halfback. Has he ever played halfback? I know him as a winger come fullback. There is no way he is going to be taking Flash's spot at fullback next year. Where does this leave Jeff Robbo if true. Robbo could play hooker I suppose, but shouldn't we be bring Mick Lichhia through...this is confusing...anybody know anything?

The going to NZ Bit is true. I thought Packer ,who signed with the Knights, hope Locke , then dreaded Laurie. Why would he need to fly out there unless to talk face to face. Locke to HB doesn't seem very Flanno like but neither does signing a quality outside back. Maybe TC Ho half and Locke to 5/8.

ghoti

Bench
Flanno does seem to put stock in reliability...can't imagine him testing someone out of position almost EVER, let alone at halfback.

Would be interesting if Locke could make the jump to half, but it's a project...not unlike working Cronk into a halfback.

shaggs

Coach
I would take him for sure.

I could go with

1. Locke
2. Gordon
3. Leutele
4. Wright
5. Feki

That would work for me.

How you can have those centres has me buggered.

Gordon into the centres and beau onto the wing, if you must have Locke at fullback.

Wright and leu tele are fringe first graders. They don't start at any other club.

1. Locke
2. Beau
3, Gordon
4. Fergo
5. Feki

If all goes to plan.

shaggs

Coach
Also, anyone notice that leu tele, pom, wright, ayshford and fergo are all right centres???,

If we get fergo and Locke, the centre order of preference would have to be fergo, Gordon, ayshford, wright, pom and leuetele.

Poss

Juniors
Locke racing against the clock to find new club

Kevin Locke has been given a two-week ultimatum to find a club for next year, otherwise the Warriors won't release him.
Ivan Cleary's Panthers are leading the charge to sign the gifted fullback, but the Bulldogs are also interested, despite chief executive Raelene Castle saying otherwise.
Locke wants to leave the Warriors because Sam Tomkins will take his No 1 jersey next season and although there has been talk of the Kiwi moving to a different position, he won't get the game time he's had in the past few years.
Although the Warriors don't want to make a rival club stronger by gifting them a quality player like Locke, they are sympathetic to his situation.
Unlike with Russell Packer, it's not a case where they've encouraged him to leave.
But they do need to firm up their squad for next season, which is why they've given Locke a deadline until the middle of this month to sort out a contract with another team.
Otherwise he'll see out the last year of his contract with the Warriors.
Cleary is obviously a big fan of Locke from his time as head coach of the Warriors.
This was a rebuilding year for the Panthers, but next year they'll be strong contenders for a place in the top eight and having Locke at fullback would enhance their chances of achieving that, rather than playing Matt Moylan or Wes Naiqama.
The Bulldogs are the second most likely option for Locke, but the Sydney club would prefer to get Josh Hoffman.
Ben Barba is moving to the Broncos next season, leaving the Bulldogs on compassionate grounds. If the Des Hassler-coached Bulldogs are unable to get Hoffman from the Broncos, they will turn their attentions to Locke.
While Locke would still have plenty to offer the Warriors next year, they do have a great backup at fullback in Glen Fisiiahi, while David Fusitua from the Junior Warriors team certainly looks to be one for the future.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9249096/Locke-racing-against-the-clock-to-find-new-club

RUBIKS

Juniors
If we're trying things, the first person I want to see given a go in Robbo's spot is Penani.

chewsta

First Grade
Thinking about Flash's ability to break tackles against a relatively set defence from a kick return, imagine how damaging he could be in the centres, running onto a Carney Bullet or trailing off a flying Locke in a one on one situation. he'd be almost unstoppable.

Locke
Feki/Wright
Gordon
Fergs
Beau-Nose

would be pretty good to see. plenty of pace too.
The more flying targets for Toddy to hit out wide, the better!