What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Points of Trial vs Knights

LINESPEED

Juniors
I would move Widdop to centre, because I think Aitken and Lafai are 2 of our weakest links. Norman and Hunt must be our halves. I think Dufty provides more than Lafai or Aitken. Dufty was a match winner for us in numerous games last year. I am not even convinced that Widdop is a better fullback than Dufty, but I am convinced that Widdop would be a better left centre than Lafai.

When I asked this forum to state why they think Widdop would not be able to handle playing centre, no one provided any answers. Benny V asked me why I think he would make a good centre and I provided numerous answers. I do think Widdop is better suited to 5/8 and probably fullback, but I think he would fit into our best 13 at centre. I used to see most 5/8's as 5/8's who can play centre or 5/8's who can play halfback. I would have liked to see Widdop take on the halfback, dominate playmaker role when he first came to our club, but he looks to be more of a running, attacking 5/8 that would handle centre, more than a 5/8 who can play the halfback role. These days there is now a 3rd option, with a 5/8 who can play fullback. Brett Kenny is one of the best players I have ever seen play the game. He was a 5/8 who I rate better than Lewis, but on the 86 Kangaroo tour of England, Lewis was captain, but they had to find a spot for Kenny and he played centre, keeping another future immortal in Mal Meninga on the bench.

Now you tell me exactly why you think Widdop would not make a good centre? I bet you fail to answer the question.

Agree 100% Frank.

All 4 of Dufty, Norman, Widdop & Hunt have to be in the 13 for 2019 - and it’s been a nobrainer for me for quite a while.

Widdop has all the skills required of a centre & has to replace the plodding Lafai who is the obvious weakness to make way FFS.

Widdop & Lomax would give such great service to our
wingers.
Also Robson & Field have to be in the 17.

All very logical & talent based to me.

The Masochist will be in for another self inflicted year of scoreboard & social media pain when he trots out the mediocre Chosen Ones

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I would move Widdop to centre, because I think Aitken and Lafai are 2 of our weakest links. Norman and Hunt must be our halves. I think Dufty provides more than Lafai or Aitken. Dufty was a match winner for us in numerous games last year. I am not even convinced that Widdop is a better fullback than Dufty, but I am convinced that Widdop would be a better left centre than Lafai.

When I asked this forum to state why they think Widdop would not be able to handle playing centre, no one provided any answers. Benny V asked me why I think he would make a good centre and I provided numerous answers. I do think Widdop is better suited to 5/8 and probably fullback, but I think he would fit into our best 13 at centre. I used to see most 5/8's as 5/8's who can play centre or 5/8's who can play halfback. I would have liked to see Widdop take on the halfback, dominate playmaker role when he first came to our club, but he looks to be more of a running, attacking 5/8 that would handle centre, more than a 5/8 who can play the halfback role. These days there is now a 3rd option, with a 5/8 who can play fullback. Brett Kenny is one of the best players I have ever seen play the game. He was a 5/8 who I rate better than Lewis, but on the 86 Kangaroo tour of England, Lewis was captain, but they had to find a spot for Kenny and he played centre, keeping another future immortal in Mal Meninga on the bench.

Now you tell me exactly why you think Widdop would not make a good centre? I bet you fail to answer the question.
Because the main aim in doing this is to fit in Dufty. There is no longer an urgency to fit in Dufty in 2019 because he has already been extended for another two years. Dufty needs to sort out his defensive skills, positional play and gain confidence in taking the high ball. Who knows he may have already addressed these matters although I doubt it as Mary played Widdop at fullback in the first half against Newcastle's first grade side.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Because the main aim in doing this is to fit in Dufty. There is no longer an urgency to fit in Dufty in 2019 because he has already been extended for another two years. Dufty needs to sort out his defensive skills, positional play and gain confidence in taking the high ball. Who knows he may have already addressed these matters although I doubt it as Mary played Widdop at fullback in the first half against Newcastle's first grade side.

Sort of reminds me of when we were at school & the teacher picked the captains who then took turns picking their teams from the lineup.
The last few suffered the ignominy of rejection.

More to my point though:

There’s no way I pick Lafai over Dufty & the 3 hombres in my 13!

And kinda like Waterboy selecting Field as the Xfactor in the semi - knowing he could win the game from anywhere on the paddock, given half a chance, which he wasn’t.

Had he more of Mann’s gametime the result might’ve been different

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Sort of reminds me of when we were at school & the teacher picked the captains who then took turns picking their teams from the lineup.
The last few suffered the ignominy of rejection.

More to my point though:

There’s no way I pick Lafai over Dufty from the lineup!

And kinda like Waterboy selecting Field as the Xfactor in the semi - knowing he could win the game from anywhere on the paddock, given half a chance.

More like, Dufty would not gain first grade select as a winger, centre, half or any of the forward positions. If he sorts out his problems he may be selected at fullback or as a utility off the bench. Why would this be the case?

LINESPEED

Juniors
More like, Dufty would not gain first grade select as a winger, centre, half or any of the forward positions. If he sorts out his problems he may be selected at fullback or as a utility off the bench. Why would this be the case?

It’ll take some injuries again to force changes to Waterboy’s rolled gold 13.
At least now with JDB & Sims temporarily out, a couple of young guns get the chance they’d’ve been normally denied.

Kerr has already responded well so far
Dufty is the incumbent fullback IMO, which means Lafai loses out in the need to play both Widdop & Norman in the 13.