What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kickers escape fines

Raider_69

Post Whore
Source: NRL.rleague.com Website

Up to eight NRL clubs have escaped fines from the National Rugby League after mitigating circumstances were found for the kickers exceeding the 90second shot-clock. Eight goal kickers, including St.George Illawarra’s Matthew Head, will not be penalised for exceeding the 90second limit.

NRL official Graham Annesley said "There were reasons for all of them - referees calling time out for injuries, cautions, objects being thrown onto the field."

------------------------------------------------------
so whats the go? I must of missed the rule that states only Clinton Schifcofske is allowed to be fined :roll:

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Someone posted on Panthers Interactive that they thought Girdler went over the limit aswell. I didnt know too much about it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i find it strange that 8 players can go over the limit but have reasons for doing so yet racing 40 metres to score dosnt count as a reason
form my point of view its looks like the NRL is targeting schifcofske unfairly :roll:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
8 clubs! Yet were the only ones to be fined. Twice!
Schif could probably score a 100m try and still not be giving any leniency.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Makes you think someone has it out for us.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Such a grey area - it's a stupid rule.

I think Matthew Head was 1 second over but escaped suspension.

When does the 90 seconds even start??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
As soon as the try is awarded.
Which in the case of Schif against Parra meant he had to run back 20 metres and set up straight away(after running 40 for the try).
He couldn't even celebrate with his team mates.

Raider_69

Post Whore
head was 1 second over yet escapes fine
yet schif is 5 seconds over and cops it, i could handle this so long as it was consistant, then schif got pinged for 9 seconds over after racing 40 metres

im now fully convinced this is a target mission against Schif
honestly lets get f**king real here, 8 players, thats at least one from every game last week yet not one gets fine, they all had a more plausable excuss than racing 40 metres to score a try?

i find that very hard to believe

Wests is Best

Juniors
I personally don't like the rule. There must be a better way of managing this issue. Lets face it most of us don't want kicks to take to long because its boring, and it eats into valuable playing time, but why does it have to come down to a fine?Money always runs the show doesn't it.
I bet that in a big match, goalkickers will be instructed by club officials to take as much time as necessary to take their kick if it means a better chance of converting it, or giving the team more time to rest before the restart.

Raider_69

Post Whore
well said WiB
fact is if a grandfinal, semi, quarter, S.O.O, city/country or even an important regular game was hanging in the balance i dont think the club will care how long the bloke takes

there is an easier option, its very simple and the game ran for 100 odd years using this method

Kicker lines up, ref observes and if he feels time is being wasted he SINGALS time off (no noise as it may disrupt the kicker), then once the kicker have either converted or not converted time is called back on

its quite simple really, but the rule itself is not in question here, its the NRL's consistancy in implimenting it, about 16 kicks have gone over the 90second limit, with only 3 being fined, Smith once and Schif twice, not sure on the smith one, but schif's 2nd fine was a joke,

to race 40 metres it would take say around 5 seconds, placing the exercise in the ATP/CP aerobic system, this system takes a good 3 minutes to completly recover, schif had half of that to complete his kick, he went 5 seconds over and gets a fine, yet we have head who goes over by one second but didnt do half as much as schif did and he escapes suspension?

Whats up with that?
that just smacks of targeting

Iafeta

Referee
Kurt Gidley took 2 minutes on one kick. And had a second kick over 90 seconds as well. He took 2 kicks that night. Not fined? Go figure.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
Kurt Gidley took 2 minutes on one kick. And had a second kick over 90 seconds as well. He took 2 kicks that night. Not fined? Go figure.

exactly...
shame on your NRL
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DJ1

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Source: NRL.rleague.com Website

NRL official Graham Annesley said "There were reasons for all of them - referees calling time out for injuries, cautions, objects being thrown onto the field."

...and in a clear demonstration of NRL consistency, no teams were given a 4 point suspended penalty for crowd behaviour.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think the British system should be introduced, and that if the shot at goal is not taken one minute after the try is scored, time is called off till the kick is taken and then put back on.

Much fairer system, as even if a kicker takes a debatably long time to kick a goal, there is still only the same amount of time lost.

innsaneink

Referee
I had to laugh at Daleys idea on Mon nite I think it was....suggesting an actual clock at the ground would help kickers not go over the 90 secs.

I can just see Piggy.....place it on the tee....step back his paces, two to the left....settle.....deep breath...glance at the posts....mouth twice "youre goin over"....left arm hitler salute......THEN check the clock?????????
C'mon!!

They need somehow to let the kickers know how the times going....maybe a short blast of the hooter with 15 seconds to go.....though an interesting precedent might be set if a kicker takes exactly 75 seconds and just as hes movin in the hooter goes :lol:
Ridiculous rule all round.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
can you image riddle about to strike the ball when a 75 second hooter goes off, it would be a crack up

i think a quiet, 20 seconds left from the ref would do the job

innsaneink

Referee
Or just use the video ref screen....as soon as the ref awards a try or they decide to go for goal from a penalty.....the VR could activate a timer and 90,89,88..... could come up on the screen....im sure the crowd would get into it from 10 seconds to go.