What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kidley and thaiday in!

roopy

Referee
I'd start Kidley - i've already said why - but the main points again.

Johns and Kidley have a better record together.
Kidley's main value to the team is his workrate - and sitting on the bench isn't going to exploit that.
Mullen will have an impact whatever position he finally ends up - while Kidley probably wouldn't.
and the main reason - our best chance of a win is to let Johns take complete control and do what he does best.

Ben

Bench
After thinking about it for a while, I'm actually not that concerned about the prospect of Kidley starting and Mullen playing off the bench. I'd rather Kidley play the first twenty minutes of the game and tackle his arse off. And then make way for Mullen who can then work his magic around tired defenders.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
This is absolutely no surprise to me. I'm sure its because Hages wants to keep the opposition guessing. I mean seriously, when Kidley's five-eight they won't know who the ball's going to on the fifth tackle, will they :crazy:

Hagan deadset has no idea.

CJKnight

Juniors
Before we all start bagging Kidley remeber this:

1. It is a very, very valuable thing to have a 5/8 that can tackle. He made 38 tackles last week. Roopy mentioned it: his workrate is his asset.

2. Mullen has already proved himself as a replacement for the #7 jersey post-Johns. Let's go for the experienced side for the premiership.

3. Kidley has a great running game and can also play a Hooker's role at dummy-half. Bedsy is 28 and could use the break for a few sets.

Yes, Mullen is the future of Newcastle in the #7. But he is still growing and has already proved himself. With Johns back in, noone is going to be taking his place.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Im not too annoyed about the Kidley thing. Like Ben and Roopy both make good points. I think we can win with Kidley. Plus Mullen will still go out and reek havoc at some stage. If Kidlye screws up too bad, tak him off.

I am concerned with Thaiday. If he plays at his best, no problem, we win, everyones happy. If he doesnt, we get flogged, and he will be to blame. At least with Seage there we know what to expect. Its a gamble, and i hope it pays off.

CJKnight

Juniors
Seage had a blinder last week. Was safe as can be under the high ball, and positions himself to hit those gaps in attack. He even bagged a try for his efforts.

Thiaday is simply not a player designed to be a fullback under the high ball. He is a 5/8 IMO. And I would play him at 5/8 opposite Mullen when Joey retires (but that is me).

Jobdog said:
This is absolutely no surprise to me. I'm sure its because Hages wants to keep the opposition guessing. I mean seriously, when Kidley's five-eight they won't know who the ball's going to on the fifth tackle, will they :crazy:
He is having some consideration for the opposition :lol::lol:

cram

Bench
roopy said:

Kidley's main value to the team is his workrate - and sitting on the bench isn't going to exploit that.
Mullen will have an impact whatever position he finally ends up - while Kidley probably wouldn't.
and the main reason - our best chance of a win is to let Johns take complete control and do what he does best.

I have no problem with what you say here, it may be best not to expose Mullen to the pressure that starting in a huge game will obviously bring.

RABK

Referee
For those blowing up - actually sit back and think for a second before jumping on the 'Hagan is an absolute fool bandwagon'.

Johns plays best, nay, the Knights are at their absolute best when Johns has the ball in his hands 3 times every set of six. When he lays the platform with his kicking game. Mullen detracts from Johns game, he is a second option - a much better one then Kurt Gidley but he still detracts from Johns game hence having both of them out there will detract from our overall game.

Believe it or not, the stats read that Kurt Gidley is almost as deadly as Johns in the oppositions 20 - the only place where Kidley usually shares the playmaking duties.

Kidley is a great defender too. Mullen can come on for impact with Kurt moving back to lock.

The best decision for our chances of winning this premiership. Johns to dominate - that should be our game plan.

RABK

Referee
roopy said:

Bingo.

Super Sub

Juniors
I'm happy with that. Mullen is in the 17 which is all that matters. To be honest I really don't think that it matters which one out of him and Kidley actually starts the game, they both have good parts of their games. Besides, as has been mentioned before Kidley is a pretty dangerous player, his running game is as good as Mullen's (maybe not as fast but his step is killer) and he gives some nice inside balls (he has set up Matt Gidley a couple of times this year with inside plays) and he is definetly a better defender than Mullen. So it works for me if Kidley does all the hard work at the beginning of the game so that Mullen can come on and create some miss-matches with tired opponents later in the game. I would quite like to see Kidley stay on the field but change position when Mullen comes on, that would give us 3 play-making options, and with Milton in the team we would actually have 4 players out there who can direct play.

And while we're on the subject of milton. I think he is due for a big game, and he definetly has shown some spark even though he hasn't been in top form recently (the roosters game for example, he made a couple of nice line breaks off the kick return). He makes a lot of opportunities by himself with his almost "turbo" boosts of speed. Besides, I think when Joey is in the team Milton is a better option at fullback, Seage doesn't run off Joey like Milton does.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't like it mainly because I don't rate Kidley, he's not as creative as Mullen, he's not as clever as Mullen, his kicking game is nowhere as good and he's not as good a ball runner. Mullen is an all purpose 5/8th, he can be a playmaker but he can also be a great ball runner off johns, I'd say he'd be the 2nd quickest guy in our team behind Carney, give him a roaming role, running off johns etc and we add another dimension to our team.